RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners

Thread: 300 Blackout Dies

Boolit Buddy

300 Blackout Dies

Finally have most of the parts on order or in for the new rifle so now I need a die recomendation. I have looked at the Hornady, Lee and Forster products. The Hornady looks good but I cannot seem to find it in stock anywhere, I am not sure how the Lee's would work since I have seen several bad reviews on them and the Forster are way more expensive than I want to spend. Any ideas and sources would be good, I can wait a while but I need these suckers inside of a month to get started.

Thank you

Boolit Master

RCBS 300/221 Fireball dies will work if you can't find 300BLK dies.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

300 Blackout Dies

I have Lee neck sizing collet dies if you are reloading for a bolt action or single shot.
    Visit my page at www.echoarms.com for casting, reloading, and firearms accessories as well as FFL services in Southern California.

Like my Facebook page: Echo Arms

Boolit Master

I am not sure what the problems were with those who gave bad reviews, but I have been using Lee dies for my Blackout since I put the barrel on it. Nothing but great reloads. I moved after getting my rifle set up and lost my first set of dies, so I bought a second set. Don't know what to tell you -- they work flawlessly. Also, this is coming from someone who has worked his dies to death. I have formed about 3000 rounds worth of brass, and not one of my cases has been lubed during forming. All the brass I have formed has been previously sized in a(Lee) .223 sizing die. I got the Blackout setup and started making brass. Lubed my first few cases and noticed how easy it sized. So I figured, what the heck? Try one without lube, save the cleanup. It worked fine. Point is, the dies have put up with a few thousand unsized cases passed theu them for reforming and they havn't shown a bit of wear. They chamber and fire fine, and when resized are even better since they have been fire formed.

I'd go with the Lee and save some cash. If there is a problem, they will take care of it. One of the best warranties in the business. Also, the caliber is an excellent cast boolit shooter. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't shoot cast thru a gas gun.

Boolit Master

I've got the RCBS SM base 300 Blk dies. haven't had a bit of problems with them

Boolit Master

300 Blackout Dies

I have and use both the Lee and Hornady dies for blackout. I prefer the Hornady as the seating die with the alignment sleeve works very well in ensuring that the boolits are lined up properly for seating and a Lee FCD is used to crimp. I use the Lee sizing and decapping die for case prep before tumbling in SS media as I prefer shiny brass as I can inspect each case properly before reloading. I run a Hornady Pro-7 for case prep and a LnL AP for loading.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

300 Blackout Dies

Rich22

Midwayusa shows dies ready to ship. See here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935...ut-300-whisper
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    Much appreciated for the heads up, I thought I checked midway in the last 4 or 5 days but evidently I screwed that up. Thank you very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    Rich22

Midwayusa shows dies ready to ship. See here: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/935...ut-300-whisper

Boolit Buddy
    That actually answered my next question, the need for crimp, so the regular two die set plus the FCD seems to work best overall? Wasn't sure about the need for crimping rifle or not since this is my first time loading for anything other than pistol.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by blikseme300 View Post
    I have and use both the Lee and Hornady dies for blackout. I prefer the Hornady as the seating die with the alignment sleeve works very well in ensuring that the boolits are lined up properly for seating and a Lee FCD is used to crimp. I use the Lee sizing and decapping die for case prep before tumbling in SS media as I prefer shiny brass as I can inspect each case properly before reloading. I run a Hornady Pro-7 for case prep and a LnL AP for loading.

Boolit Bub
    I loaded quite a few 300 blackout with lee dies before I traded that upper off. They seem to work fine.

Boolit Bub
    Oh and definitely crimp if using these in a semi auto so the bullet doesn't get pushed in under recoil or while clambering.

Boolit Buddy
    Appreciate the info, this will be for an AR so I will grab a crimp die also, I assume the FCD is a good choice since I see it mentioned so often? Also, in the process of forming the brass, do I need to run it through a 223 full length size die first? I am thinking yes just to make sure everything is even before I cut and trim.

Thank you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Twstanley View Post
    Oh and definitely crimp if using these in a semi auto so the bullet doesn't get pushed in under recoil or while clambering.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rich22 View Post
    Appreciate the info, this will be for an AR so I will grab a crimp die also, I assume the FCD is a good choice since I see it mentioned so often? Also, in the process of forming the brass, do I need to run it through a 223 full length size die first? I am thinking yes just to make sure everything is even before I cut and trim.

Thank you guys
    The factory crimp die does an excellent job of securing the projectie, and allows me to get a better burn with the slower powders I load under the heavy boolits.

It wouldn't hurt anything to size in a .223 die first, will certainly make reforming much easier (see my post above)

Boolit Master

300 Blackout Dies

Rich22,

When using the FCD with cast boolits don't over crimp. When developing my loads using the Lee 312-155-2R boolit I crimped too much causing my groups to be around 4" at 100 yards. I backed off that the crimp just barely creases the case mouth. Rifle is an AR-15 with stainless 16" HBAR with 1/8 twist.

Boolit Master

I load for 2 uppers with the Lee dies and the FCD, works great, no issues at all.

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS dies for a similar cartridge the 300 Whisper.

Take care

r1kk1

I got Hornady die from Midway Mid December and it was in stock for $30. Ive seen RCBS in the $70s and some Reading dies for $90 on various places (check Amazon). I went with Hornady (although I prefer RCBS, or Reading) as my .223 die works great. As meantioned above, the sleeve does help with guiding in long cast loads. I also figured that since this is my first trimming/resising adventure, I'd try something on the low end of the price scale in the off hand chance I break something.