Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which mold for 45acp

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Then you haven't shot them in a XD45. They will nto feed 100% in most. The new XDM & maybe XDS are supposed to have solved this, but a RN or TCFP will be 100% in any gun. I like teh 200grTCFP by Magma, but it's only a 2cav. Nothing wrong w/ the 228grRN from Lee, works well for just punching paper.
    What Fred said: XD's do NOT like SWC's for some reason. I would find a few to test first before committing to an expensive SWC mold. If it's just a Lee and it doesn't feed...what the heck you just keep it for the next .45 that magically appears in the safe!! Hopefully a 1911 of some sort. Then just get in on a group buy for the Mi-hec 45-200 HP Cramer and get it over with. It will feed in anything. Good luck!

If you are just starting out the Lee 200gr RNFP or the 230TL are both great starters. You don't have a fortune invested. I cycle these through a COlt 1911, a parts 1911 with an Essecs frame and a Remington slide and my favorite, a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact. Drop the 230 TL in to water and they don't have to be sized. I use wheel weights and recycled range lead that is almost all wheel weights.I mix the Alox that comes with the mold 50/50 with Johnson wax. I size and lube the 200 gr RNFP with White Lable Lube from LsStuff.com (2500 or Carnauba Red) I have used the 50/50 tumble lube with the 200 RNFP but never felt secure with just a coating in the large grooves. I load these with Unique or Bullseye for 760-800 LFS load. They are very consistent and I have never had any Leading issues. I hesitate to put actual loads in the forum. It's been more then a year since I posted and I' not sure of the rules right now.
    Ray
    Last edited by Rayber; 12-25-2012 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Cast Hunter

H&G 68 clone hands down.
    Last edited by RugerFan; 12-26-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

I agree with the H&G 68 or a good clone like the one from Mihec. I have found that in most double stack mags these don't work so well, but in a 1911 type pistol they are the best. For high cap pistols I would recommend a 230gr round nose boolit.

Banned

Boolit Master
    I like using the Saeco 069 the most because it is the most accurate in my Bullseye wadcutter guns. A very very close second is the Saeco 068. The Lyman 452630 is an excellent shaped bullet but I am not as fond of the mold quality. My next choice is a Lee 6 cavity 190 grain flat base bullet that was a group buy but again the mold is not as good of quality as the Saecos. All of these are a close copy of H&G 68's bullet. Even the H&G varied over the years a little bit so it would be an opinion as to which was the closest clone but they are all very close. If you would like to try a few of these bullets in your gun to see if they will work, let me know and I will send you some. That way you will know if they will feed in your gun. Often times these will feed in 1911's while the stubby nose 185 grain bullets more than likely will not. -- Bill --

Boolit Grand Master

Current production XDs are fine with SWCs, but the older ones would not work with them
    due to design issues.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.