MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: RCBS mold advice needed

RCBS mold advice needed

My RCBS 32-170FN arrived today This is my first RCBS mold so i`m needin` some advice. Will the Lee 6 cavity handles work, what is a good casting temp with wheel weights, cleaning it for the first time ( what about comet and a tooth brush ) Also, the sprue plate seems tight so should I heat it up to temp and loosen it until it free falls ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I`m using this mold for hunting so is wheel weights a good alloy ? I just figured to get advice from the RCBS experts and pass on some of the learning process. I have mostly Lyman molds and couple Lee`s.

burch
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

Boolit Grand Master

I clean mine with denatured alcohol and a toothbrush. The sprue plate shouldn't feel tight but falling open is a bit loose for my likes, after cleaning it should be lubed with Bullplate. Never tried LEE handles, try it and see, RCBS makes their own handles though.

700 degrees is plenty hot for WW alloy, pre-heat the mold prior to casting. Pour a generous sprue puddle to keep the plate hot enough.

That's a fine mould, RCBS has been putting out a high quality mold the past few years. Always been good but of late they are very good.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I prefer RCBS molds to the others, but sometimes finances dictate Lee molds..
    Rick covered about all that's needed to know. I'd recommend getting the RCBS handles, then you'll know that they fit and will have them for your next mold.
    Unlike most here, when I'm finished casting and the mold is cool, I'll spray it lightly with Rem-Oil for storage. It doesn't take too many hot bullets to burn out the oil when you start your next session..Others will scream "Heresy", but it works quite well for me. And my molds look new...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I have several RCBS molds. They are great. Clean them up good with hot water and Dawn, clean out with Acetone.
    The nice thing about them, is once you get to that sweet heat, they cast all afternoon with perfect bullets. I use Lyman or RCBS large handles for the past 30 yrs, good investment.
    Gerry

I might just get the Lee 6 cavity handles and do the mod sticky on `em. I like the long nose on the Lee`s. I hate the Lee handles that come on their molds. I always seem to burn all the hair off of my fingers. Even when I wear my gloves it`s pretty hot on the hands.
    buzzard`s gotta eat, same as the worms
    Josey Wales

I would get the RCBS handles.

I wouldn't clean a ferrous mold with anything water based (I assume you mean liquid Comet). Like Rick says, clean with denatured alcohol and a toothbrush. After the initial degreasing (get a can of carb or brake cleaner at Wally World), this should only take a small amount of alcohol. While you're at Wally World, also purchase a 700-800 or so watt electric hot plate. When storing the mold, I like to apply a light coat of rust preventative such as Birchwood Casey "Sheath" or similar which can be removed with a small amount of denatured alcohol (purchased at Home Depot for about 10 bucks/gallon which should last forever).

Yes, the factory tightens the sprue pivot too tight. Back if off so it'll flop open with a mere flick of the wrist while the mold is in position on the handles and just snug the set screw down. Keep a hex wrench in your pocket while casting just in case the pivot screw loosens and don't loose the little brass plug that protects the threads on the sprue pivot.

Always lube the sprue plate with Bullplate, ZipLube or an equivalent and keep a bunch of Q-tips handing at your casting station for wiping the lead specks from the block top and under the sprue plate.

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    Will the Lee 6 cavity handles work, ...
    With my RCBS molds, I generally would have to grind a little bit off the thickness off the Lee handles to get them to fit. As I already have a couple of RCBS handles, I generally don't bother.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post

That's a fine mould, RCBS has been putting out a high quality mold the past few years. Always been good but of late they are very good.

Rick
    Hi,
    RCBS has always made a fine mold! I just got a MiHec 4-cav brass and although I think it is a great mold,will not be selling any of my iron RCBS molds anytime soon! I would spend the money and get a set of RCBS handles as this will not be your last RCBS mold!!! Here's a bad pic of a RCBS 35 Rem. orphan I found with handles for about half price on E-Bay!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    I like RCBS handles with RCBS moulds they RCBS are top notch moulds! And I have no complaints. The one I had with tight pins was fixed and sent back and even gave me extra parts for my trouble without me asking,
    Perfect bullets every time once hot and are sized as they should no undersized out the moulds with any alloy
    My 200 SWC 45aco #68 Clones was had off ebay never used new in old card board box for 40 bucks or so

The 225 Round nose I also got new but at used price

same deal here a new unused RCBS 9mm i use in 380 and 9mm

I also have a 38/357 SWC I just have 4 RCBS moulds are are good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    RCBS has always made a fine mold!
    Exactly what I was trying to say. RCBS had from day one been a very good mold but a few years back they got new CNC machines to replace the decades old machinery they had and over night what was a very good mold was suddenly a very fine mold indeed.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Hi Rick,
    I understood what you were saying,just thought I would underline it!!! I am the poster child for RCBS molds! Most of mine are from the 70's and 80's,might try a new one!

From Glenn Fryxell's Book on Casting:

Ohaus started offering bullet moulds in a big way in 1972, entering the market with 68 different bullet designs, as well as 19 round ball moulds. Ohaus moulds were cut with tungsten carbide cherries for durability and consistency. A few years later RCBS bought out Ohaus, and continues to produce many of these bullet moulds today.
    Last edited by seagiant; 12-21-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Like others above, I cannot say enough good things about RCBS molds (and their customer service as well). I am sure there are many ways to skin this cat, but I prefer to use the good ol' RCBS handles with the good ol' RCBS molds. I also use a commercial mold cleaner spray from Midway to clean the mold initially. By keeping my molds in an ammo can with an air tight seal I avoid rust from atmospheric moisture, even here in South Texas where the humidity is quite high most of the time. Now many folks prefer to oil their iron molds up after use and there is certainly nothing wrong with that and it is a safe way to protect them from rust, but it is a little inconvenient, IMHO.

I too have many Lee molds, as that is the brand I started out on. They make good quality molds for a fantastic price and I am sure that has helped many a shooter get a foothold on the climb up the casting learning curve. It seems that nowadays when I buy a mold I do so when I am sure I am going to be hanging on to a given gun for many years or shooting a given caliber for life, I buy RCBS molds. Yes, they are quite a bit more than Lee molds, but if finances permit, I think one is better served in the long run with an RCBS mold.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"