MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential for airborne contaminants during tumbling?

Boolit Mold

Potential for airborne contaminants during tumbling?

Has anyone run across any discussion or better yet, measurements of harmful airborne particulates generated during tumbling/separating brass?

I'm running the tumbler in my basement (next to exercise equipment!) and cannot afford to have lead build up and seepage into the house above.

I've read about people finding fine dust all over their shops/basements when using the dry media and/or open lid tumblers. I've taken some steps to ensure dust is minimized during tumbling. I need to know what else is necessary, including the possibility of just moving everything outside.

There are five actions with potential for airborne contamination:

Pouring soiled media into tumbler
    Tumbling
    Pouring media and brass into separator
    Separation
    Pouring media into storage (or back into tumbler for another load)

1.) Pouring soiled media into tumbler
    3.) Pouring media and brass into separator
    5.) Pouring media into storage (or back into tumbler for another load)
    Don't know how to minimize dust here, or even how big of a problem it really is.

2.) Tumbling
    I have a Frankford Arsenal tumbler with a solid lid (although not necessarily sealed) and am using the walnut media with DukeInMaine's recipe of mineral spirits and NuFinish. How much will this combination knock down dust?
    How often should the mineral spirits and NuFinish be reapplied to keep the dust down?

4.) Separation
    I'm pouring into the RCBS rotary media separator. I bought it because of the lid. I've been using my wife's old colander (caught hell for that when she found it missing!) and turning them with my hands. That won't continue!

What are your thoughts?

If your that concerned do it all outside the house.
    Or get a Thumblers tumbler and SS media

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Yes this is a potential hazard with tumbling media.

Keep the dust down as much as possible, keep the lid on the tumbler, add used dryer sheets, they not only help keep the dust down they remove much of it and in the process help to keep your media clean. I do not use a media separator, I use a metal mesh colander and with the finer media I use "20/40" the media flows right out like fine dry sand.

Don't know why you would have caught He!! for using your wifes colander, I realize they are so expensive, mine cost $2.00 from WalMart.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Moderator Emeritus

You'll actually get more lead in the air when shooting, from the lead styphnate priming compound, than from the tumbling, but take whatever precautions that make you feel better.

The most important thing you can do is maintain a regular routine of washing your hands after handling anything containing lead, or lead residue, and don't eat or smoke prior to washing your hands. You can't absorb elemental lead through your skin. It's only absorbed in airborn or oxidized form through ingestestion or inhalation.

I've been reloading for the past 50 years, and casting bullets for the last 45 years, and when I had my blood tested for lead levels during my last physical, they were well within the normal range at 11. My doctor told me that some people who don't shoot at all have higher lead levels, and I had nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Fred

In Remembrance

I cast as well as tumble brass in the same tumbler as you. Just ordinary precautions are taken and my BLL was 1 recently.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    Don't know why you would have caught He!! for using your wifes colander, I realize they are so expensive, mine cost $2.00 from WalMart.
    I didn't replace hers before commandeering it. She was in the middle of making spaghetti when she discovered it was missing.

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    If your that concerned do it all outside the house.
    Or get a Thumblers tumbler and SS media
    Moving it outside AND considering SS media!

Before tumbling I wash the cases with dish soap and water then rinse in fresh water with some vinegar then let dry to cut down on all the crud getting in the tumbling media . I run the tumbler out in the garage.

I moved to SS last year (Thumler Tumbler) and my corn cob has sat idle since. When you see the inside of your cases looking like new it's hard to use anything else. Watch their video on u-tube. Someone said it rusts when wet, but I just put the lid on mine when stored and it's been fine. Read somewhere that airborn lead levels are really high next to the vibrating cleaners which helped me convince the wife.
    Expensive to get started, but media lasts forever. Just be careful what you tumble together. Have had smaller cases stick in larger to the point of throwing out. I.E. .380 and 45 colt or 22 hornet and 300 Win Mag.

Boolit Grand Master
    I covered the holes in the top on my Lyman tumbler with duct tape. I run it in the closet and all generated dust stays in the tumbler.

Boolit Grand Master

Potential for airborne contaminants during tumbling?

I tumble in my basement and cast/reload in my garage. I tested both areas for lead and both came up negative. I clean up the area in my garage after every session. I'm lazy with the basement and vacuum up every so often. IMO you really have to be doing something wrong to contaminate the area the tumbler is in.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I tested both areas for lead and both came up negative.
    How did you test the areas? Is there a consumer lead kit that can be used to swap surfaces?

Take up knitting

Boolit Grand Master

First, keep the lid on while tumbling.

Next get a spray bottle and fill with water. When you shut off the tumbler to get the brass out spray a mist of water onto the media. Don't soak it, just enough to contain any dust. Wash hands when finished.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I use crushed walnut shell media treated with a polishing agent. Purchased from Midway, several companies sell it. This doesn't generate any dust that I have noticed in/on my reloading room/bench. I sometimes add a liquid polishing additive when doing a batch. The untreated corn cob media seems to be a bit more dusty. I think if you stick to commerical treated media, walnut shell, and add a liquid rejuvenator now and then, you shouldn't have a dust problem, I don't. Also my tumbler has no holes in the top so nothing can get out.
    gary

Boolit Master
    If there was a health hazard from lead dust in a tumbler there would be warning stickers all over both the tumbler and the media containers as well as in our reloading manuals; there are none because it's not an issue.

The trivial amount of dust that frightens so many people is from both the original crunching of the media AND excessive polish that's dried and crumbled to a gray dust. Neither is harmful, neither is pleasant to breath so don't stick your head into the tumbler bowl while it's working.

Don't lick the gray color off your fingers after handling lead bullets and all will be well.

Boolit Master
    Lee in his book addresses tumblers and lead dust. We don't shoot much indoors as my wife and I walk away with stuffy noses. I tumble out in the garage and use a N-95 mask when separating media. People who have pulmonary issues are more sensitive to airborne containments. We see our share of these people on a daily basis at work. Be safe and be comfortable. Have your levels checked when you get a physical. We do. My wife and I flip old homes and that's one of the reasons we have ours checked.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    If there was a health hazard from lead dust in a tumbler there would be warning stickers all over both the tumbler and the media containers as well as in our reloading manuals; there are none because it's not an issue.

The trivial amount of dust that frightens so many people is from both the original crunching of the media AND excessive polish that's dried and crumbled to a gray dust. Neither is harmful, neither is pleasant to breath so don't stick your head into the tumbler bowl while it's working.
    Not true.

Inaccurate info.

Read this.

http://lasc.us/FryxellSafeHandlingLead.htm

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Here's 4000 word's I don't have to type.

Well, if you are concerned about a hazard from tumbling -- don't do it --
    Just do as we used to do before tumblers were common - wipe the case with a solvent dampened rag-
    I don'r think shiney brass shoots any better.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    Take up knitting
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavogrande View Post
    Well, if you are concerned about a hazard from tumbling -- don't do it --
    Just do as we used to do before tumblers were common - wipe the case with a solvent dampened rag-
    I don'r think shiney brass shoots any better.
    Pavogrande, do you still use .38 casings for ear plugs?