Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally some meat other than antelope!

Boolit Master
    Congrats on the fine eating and nice shot.No bashing from me as well.To be an ethical hunter we all must know our limitations.It is obvious that you knew yours before pressing the trigger , what could be wrong with that.Again, Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master

I hear elk is mighty fine! Glad to see you are using that 300 wsm for what it was made for! Got a lot of boys back east using them to blow the shoulders off of whitetails at 50 yards...

Nice shot!! I agree with the others, if you and your equipment are qualified, shoot. I have personally taken mule deer and elk at over 500 yds with a 300 Win. That cow is gonna taste great too, they are much better eating than an old rutty bull. The rack is really easy to hang and if she's very old I bet she has beautiful teeth to make the wife some ear rings with. JW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Good shooting and congratulations. Holdover is sooooooooooo last century...
    Even if using mil dots?

Love Life
    Sneaky question there Bullshop. Holdover is fine with Mil-Dots. Hold over is fine no matter what. I prefer to dial in corrections, and I was saying that in what I thought was a humorous manner.

Boolit Master
    Very nice, been there, done that, miss it!

Boolit Master

+1 from here on the long shot. You have earned the right to do this. You have spent your money on a purpose built rifle and your time in load development and shooting. Enjoy that good meat.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I would love to drop a hammer on an elk cow. My friend gave me a bunch of meat because his wife wouldn't eat it.
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Doug, she llks to be on good shape.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys. It was a big relief to get some meat in the freezer. We finished last years elk (a calf) before mid summer and my wife was on me about getting some more red meat in the freezer for winter.

Friday was the last day of the season and I took a couple of buddies out because they had this late tag also. We saw close to 100 head of elk and got one more knocked down. One of my buddies hit a small cow, Im not really sure where, but at the shot she hit the dirt. I could see her thrashing around and trying to get up I told him to put another shot in her, he didnt, so I had to do some tracking. Over a mile and a half later I was on my hands and knees looking for drops of blood in the snow I couldnt follow her tracks in the snow anymore because she had caught up with the trail the herd made. I felt terrible about it, but we turned around an head back to start packing out the elk we had on the ground. Im still sick over it my dad pounded it in my head when I started hunting that you keep shooting until the animal doesnt move. We had chances after that to fill his tag but he put his rifle in the truck and said he had filled his tag we just didnt have the elk.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Grand Master

Good shooting, sorry to hear about your buddy's mistake. Sounds like he learned from it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I didn't get an elk this year but still had a little left over from last year. Made a couple cheeseburgers last week. Man! I can't buy this at the store.
    Congratulations on your hunt, and like you said I keep shooting as long as their on their feet.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

next time use a 30-30.... as discussed in another thread!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    Im still sick over it my dad pounded it in my head when I started hunting that you keep shooting until the animal doesnt move.
    I can't take full credit for that one. I got it from Jerry Loibl aka "Elmer Thud".
    Last edited by skruske; 12-20-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Congratulations on a fine animal. She will serve you and your family well.
    Having the equipment and the practiced skill to shoot at 500+ is all the qualification you could need.
    The results are all the proof you need.
    I have been slowly pushing the envelope out on my Rem 308 VSF, hopefully, with practice, I will have the same confidence as you.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Boolit Master
    I'm jealous. I got sent to wyoming during my elk hunt. An empty chest freezer is a sad site. I'm getting transferred to Cody so ill hit you up for hunting.
    Congrats on the best game meat.

Boolit Bub
    Great shooting .. All I can add is I have a lot of practicing to do.
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Great job of preparation and practice. I did the same ting in the early 70's - bought a .300 Win Mag and handloaded and practiced with it for 2 1/2 years before I got my first chance at a west Texas mule deer hunt. Average shot on our lease was 400 yards, Mine was 600 yards. I put the first shot through the back of his heart. Knowing your rifle, and what it does with the load you're shooting is paramount to successful long range shooting.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished