Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Need a little help.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

Need a little help.

My buddy Jorge called me about the time I left work. "Wanna help me skin a sheep?"

So now its chilling in the garage. We have no clue how to cook it, I mean recipes. I've butchered many deer but no other big game. So some guidance for cuts to suit cooking. Please.Attachment 55859
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    i can't help much, but, its no different than deer,elk,moose etc...
    cut as a deer and cook the same.

i am sure the recipe web sites can give recipes as well.
    i am told that their meat is wonderful, but have never had the chance to try it.

Boolit Master
    i just did a search for "wild sheep recipes" a bunch popped up.

Boolit Buddy
    Look for mutton recipes.

Banned

My buddy has a game farm and has quite a few differnt varietys of sheep. Ive tried a few of them and found it gamey tasting. Could possibly be that most of his are old thophy animals. Some were so bad they smelled like an old outhouse when cooking. One sheep i took home for my dad was the first meat ive ever seen him toss out.

Boolit Master
    I've done this with lamb, but not sure it will work with sheep/mutton.

Take your cut of meat, wrap it in a well worn, well washed kitchen towel.
    Put the whole thing in a pan or bowl.
    Pour red wine vinegar over the towel wrapped meat so the towel gets thoroughly soaked.
    Refrigerate overnight.
    Next day, make one to two dozen slits in meat and insert garlic slivers and cloves.
    Start your BBQ going and take it up to 325 degrees.
    Make a pot (at least 2 cups) of extremely strong coffee.
    Mix a cube of butter, a little ground clove, a tsp. ground oregano, salt and pepper, and one to two tsp. of lemon juice into your coffee. This is your baste.
    Put your roast on the BBQ and baste.
    After the first 20 minutes, let the BBQ temp wander down to 275* and baste every 20 minutes or so.
    The overnight soak in the red wine vinegar takes some of the gameyness away and the coffee baste takes a little more.
    You won't end up with a vinegar or coffee flavor to the meat.

I don't remember how long per pound. You'll have to be the judge.

I always serve with a little mint jelly.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

Short version, good luck. I'd eat it for sure because I'm tougher than I am bright. As far as recipes go I'd need a ouija board to contact my grandpa the cook.

Long version, My little Italian Grandfather lied about his age in Dec 1941 and joined the Army (he was smaller than Steve Rogers, but they took him anyway). He was assigned to a real horse cavalry unit. He got lucky, contracted scarlet fever, and was discharged from the Army. Story goes there were only a few survivors of that units first and last deployment in WWII, horses and the 16yr old with scarlet fever back at the army hospital. He then went to the Navy, lied about his age, again, probably did not tell them about the Army, the horses, or the scarlet fever and ended up a cook in Australia, and various other South Pacific locations. It is my understanding he would not allow lamb in the house ever after that as the primary meat they were provided to feed sailors and Marines was mutton from Australia.

I never got it until I smelled some mutton on the stove top...

By the way I know Marine is a proper noun, just ask any one of us, but what about sailor?

Moderator Emeritus

If it is tough a cheap italian dressing is a grat marinade. It will likely need moisture as it is cooks. Lots of receipes out there and I know peoplethat really enjoy it. Do not confuse it with domestic mutton.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Harter66 Good luck. Mutton was the only meat not served at my house. My mother tried to once. My father was the kind that you ate what was put in front of you, period. My father's went in the trash first, followed by the rest. My mother was not upset, especially after her first bite. I was in the Army 23 years, 19 of that in the TXNG. I have had thousands of meals in dining facilities (mess halls for the old guys)--mutton was never served. Goat, a whole different story. Cabritto, young goat--delicious, slow roasted over a pit. My uncle raised sheep and goats for wool/hair and meat near Johnson City--he wouldn't eat mutton for all the tea in China.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.