Boolit Grand Master

rem 700

got my first remington rifle today a model 700 in 222 rem
    gat a 3-12x 40 on it
    watch out coyote and fox
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Nice caliber, I use to load mine with 55 grain Sierra's with IMR4198. I like the long neck, reminds me of a scaled down 30-06.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Should work out good, my 222 is an old 788 Remington.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Bub
    Nice setup.

I have a Remington SPS Tactical 308, B&C tactical stock, Harris 6-9 bipod, TRS 20 moa rail, Burris extreme tactical rings and a Nikon 6-18 Mil-dot Buckmaster.

Boolit Master

I like my Rem 722 and 40-X
    4198 and Hornady 50 grain SX for pelts

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

+ another on the use of Hornady 50 or 55 gr SXs for use if pelts are the consideration. I used H335 and in my M788 and a couple M700s loaded them pretty close to .223 velcoities and psi's.

Larry Gibson

I ferrrrrgot to mention, I also have a mint Savage 222/20Ga combo with a Leupold VariX11 2-7 scope sight. Nice rig, but having trouble coming to grips with the heavy trigger. I must cast up a heap of 22 boolits and shoot off 20-30 every time I go to the range (as good as an excuse as any, lol). I have a bag of 1000 old 46Gn Winchester 22Hornet jacketed bullets and fancy that at Hornet and with No4s in the 20Ga, this would be a fine rig for whistling foxes next winter (Summer here at the moment).

The model 700 has to be one of the prettiest rifles on the market, I have five of them from 17Remington Fireball to 375H&H.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    The 700 action is the perfect action for ME. It sounds like a great set-up you have there!

Yep! You got an inhierently accurate cartridge in an inhierently accurate rifle,great combination (inhierently / spelling? it's telling me it's wrong, but how do you fix it??).

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    Yep! You got an inherently accurate cartridge in an inherently accurate rifle,great combination (inherently / spelling? it's telling me it's wrong, but how do you fix it??).
    right click and pick out the correct spelling
    thanks guys my first rem.I have been a win/ruger kinda guy
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Ive heard H-322 is a go to powder for the triple Duce.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Thought of this thread today when I was looking over the ammo shelf at Rural King farm supply. They had plenty of 222 Rem on the shelf. Must be plenty of shooters still burning them up.
    I’d love to have one for shooting cast. Just form cases from the 5.56mm I have in abundance.

"Moderator Emeritus"

I have two 700's, a 223 and a 30-06, other than the 22's, the most used guns in my cabinet.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

i just bought two 700 bdl's in .270 winchester for my son and i as christmas presents. ordered the timney triggers for both as well. we shot them last weekend and both shot under 3/4" for three shots @ 100 yards. load: fed case, win primer, 48.5 grs of I 4064, 130 nosler bt. my son also has a savage 111 in .270 win and shoots the same load under an inch. that 111 did not like the slow powders. read that this was an old jack o'conner load according to a clay harvey book i have.

Love Life
    The Remington 700 is an outstanding platform. I have a Remington 700 classic in 8X57 (thanks Rockrat) and 223. I like to have some wood and pretty bluing on my hunting rifles.

Boolit Bub
    I have one with blue and wood. they are beautiful. Great for the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    The Remington 700 is an outstanding platform. I have a Remington 700 classic in 8X57 (thanks Rockrat) and 223. I like to have some wood and pretty bluing on my hunting rifles.
    Those two will pretty much do it all in Northern America and most every other place.

Boolit Master
    I too have a Rem 700 in 308 that I bought new in 1972. When I use my few remaining white box National Match ammo shells, it will put them exactly where I want them, when I do my part. Don't have but a few of those boxes left. So I am frugal with them.

I picked up a REM 700 VSF in .308 a few months ago. I equipped it with a one piece EGW base, Leupold QRW rings and a Eraticator Mueller scope.
    165gr Hornady SP, 45.6gr Varget, Fire formed brass, it will hold 5 shot groups at 200 yards under .68MOA all day long.
    I took 2 big turkey hens with it last weekend, both at over 125 yards, and didn't bloody even the tiniest piece of breast meat. Both shots landed withing 1/2" of the aim point.
    You just can't go wrong with a Remington 700.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

Boolit Master
    What ..... ? The 700 Remy accurate? .......... LOL!

Last spring, I picked up a slightly used SS 700 DBM in 7mm Rem mag.

I had not done anything with it until the day after Thanksgiving.

I started out working up a load for the Speer 145 gr. BT spitzer.

By time I got towards the upper range it amazed me!

Now, I have been an avid loader since 1975 and have many good to great groups to show for it ......... BUT, I have never seen a more consistent rifle in a Big game gun.

My great groups have all been here to fore in varmint calibers ......... NOT NOW!

I have two back to back 100yd three shot groups, the first at .360" and the second at .450"

A few days later I went back to better center the POI on the target and shot two rounds in exactly the same hole and pulled out for the third shot to around 3/4"

You would not know it by those groups but this rifle needs some trigger help.

With accuracy like that, I wonder if it deserves a Jewel?

Pondering

A few years ago, I found another 7mm Mag in an early 700 BDL with traditional bottom metal and a wood stock. I ran the trigger on that one and it's extraordinary. The rifle thus far groups reasonable. It's a factory SS but treated to look blued.

What with the performance of the newer 700 and the okay performance of the early 700, I guess you know what happened when I found a new take off SS 7mm mag 26" for sale.

Me thinks 'ole Betsy is gonna' get a new walkin' stick!!

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 12-21-2012 at 03:26 AM.