70 11.63%
  • 675-700

155 25.75%
  • 700-725

215 35.71%
  • Over 725

119 19.77%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Survey: What Lead Temperature do you Cast?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a RCBS Pro melt I run it flat out, tried it at lower settings and the spout cools off, my mix is 60-75% lead scrap and WW, don't have any problem with frosting use two moulds and regulate mould temperature with casting cadence if the ambient temperature gets to high I have a fan blowing across the work area can generally get through 20 pound without stopping that's enough boolits for a size/lube secession. Robert.

Depend's on the mold and alloy I'm using ,but hot enough to get the lead out!

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I am in the minority as I cast 600-625. I use a Saeco 32 furnace with a temperature dial on the front. I do not have a thermometer that goes into the melt so I am not totally sure of the temp. I have used the furnace for about 40 years and have found that setting the dial in that position works best for me. I use mostly Lyman 2 cavity molds but have several single cavity molds. I have noticed that a new 311299 mold has trouble coming up to temp so when using it I turn up the pot until it starts to make good bollits and adjust it down when it starts to make frosted ones.

Boolit Grand Master
    No idea. Don't have a thermometer. I have my RCBS pot set at a temp that works so I leave it alone.

Like Run said, I worry far more about keeping a consistent mould temp.

Boolit Grand Master

No clue. If they are wrinkly - hotter. If too frosty - cooler.

Numbers mean little, it is performance.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Seems that my pot (according to my thermo) when everything is perfect in the world 680*ish I can cast. But most the time 725*+ish is the casting temp, I cast as low temp as my pot will allow.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm surprised at how hot a lot of folks are casting. I would think going over about 725 degrees was "no man's land"....but I'm proven wrong. I'm going to try cranking up the temp a bit on a couple of my cantankerous molds.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master

for the most part i like to keep temp at 725 for my H/P molds
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

That's a relative question.....relative to the mold, numbers of cavs, mold material, and even ambient temp.

When using an HP mold with a single pin, I normally heat the pin a bit too by dipping in the mix quickly. Otherwise it takes forever to get it to temp.

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Master

I voted for the 700-725 however - I always start closer to 675 and adjust from there. Normally, I let the temp get up to about 725, then back it down as the mold gets right. I usually end up just over 700. Hollow points, or course are another matter. The 4 cav's anyway. The 2 cav's are quite managable at lower temps. enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I learned to blend and cast lead alloy in a large print shop where 850 was considered the low end of normal.
    I proceeded to cast for over 35 years at home at or near 850. I now, that my nickel addative is depleted, have throttled back to 750 - 800 and still use two H&G big moulds at a time, and nothing softer than Lyman # 2 alloy.

I checked 700 to 725 but my temperature selection actually varies between about 675 to 750 depending on cavity size, alloy and mold construction (latter to include material, weight, etc.).

MJ

P.S. Start with a hot mold... it makes life a lot easier.

I have no clue, old school here 20lb pot set on 7 when the pot and mold heats up I cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntducks View Post
    I have no clue, old school here 20lb pot set on 7 when the pot and mold heats up I cast.
    Doesn't sound like much of a school... oh wait, you're from California... mystery solved.... ha ha

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation.

MJ

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    It really depends on the alloy and mold being used. If I am running iron or brass with 96/6/3, then about 690* is where I can get my casting speed up where I want it. If I am running aluminum or HP molds, then about 750* is where I run. If I am casting pure lead, then I keep it at almost 800*
    I think you and brother had the same math teacher! He always said, "Let's divide this up 60:50." Maybe it was your high school coach telling y'all to give 112%. Just josh'n with ya, I know what ya meant.

prs

Boolit Master
    With less than 3% antimony and less than 2% tin: 670F with a brass MP432256 and 690F With a brass MP432640 w/Cramer hollow point. 3 throws a minute.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Mold
    I like around 650 to 675 with my lee 9mm and 44 mag mold. This is with WW lead.

Boolit Master

I try to keep pot at or a bit below 700* f. Lee 20 lb bottom pour. If I go much below 650* f. the spout freezes up and I'm out of business for a while. Just cast 150 457122 HP boolits at +- 700* f. and I gotta say I love that mold.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    BTW, if your spout ever freezes up, a quick pass with a propane torch or even a "hot" cigarette lighter will free it up in seconds. Once the lead starts flowing it should stay hot enough.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

700 to 725 for regular pistol boolits. Little hotter for the HP molds. Don't cast any rifle boolits.

Yet.

Al