MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper Blades

Boolit Grand Master

Wiper Blades

Is there anything that can be put on wiper blades to quieten them down and stop them from squeaking ?

Boolit Master

When I am driving, I want a clear windshield. I have not found a windshield cleaner that makes it clear between strokes. It always films up.
    I use intermittant except for when it really comes down. Here in Fl. It can rain.
    They drive me nuts also.
    For me, there is no fix.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    If the blades are very old, your best course of action would be to replace them.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

In Remembrance
    The best wiper fluid I have found as far as streaking goes, is rain x brand. The stuff I use is the 25 below fluid, so I'm not sure if the regular rain x works as well or not.

Boolit Master

wiper blades

As the wiper blades come to rest when the wipers are turned off or the intermittent feature is used, the bottom of the blades are leaning in a certain direction due to the movement of the wiper blade. If you take a key or preferably some non-abrasive object and run it along the lower edge of the blade right at the windshield line, that will place the rubber wiper blade either sitting at a straight 90 degree angle to the windshield or a little beyond. After being placed in this position for a few hours or days, and continuing to keep the blades so positioned, the chattering will cease. Squeaking as the blades move across a dry windshield is another matter. 'Tuck (as in Kentuck)

Boolit Buddy
    Rain X

Boolit Master
    Ben, try a paper towel with rain-x on it. I think they also sell a product (rain-x) for wiper blades. Usually when streaking it means the rubber's outer layer has become brittle and hard. New wiper blades are best. Frank

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine are not streaking, mine squeak.
    My windshield has Rain - X on it right now. Has not stopped the squeaking.

Maybe it would be best for me to just go and buy new wiper blades.
    The nice ones ( around here ) are about $25 - $35 a set .....OOouch ! !

Ben

Wipe the rubber blade with rubbing alcohol it cleans them up and helps restore the wiping action

A clean of the contact part of the blades with vinegar should also work

Boolit Grand Master

I find no noticeable difference in function or life between the $10 blades and the $25-30 blades.
    Now I only buy the cheapos, change them about every 6-9 months and go on.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I buy the cheap $1.00 or rebate "free" wiper blades that Menards offer several times a year. Thankfully both our cars take the same size, I just replace them every 6 to 12 months. Very easy, they just snap on.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys have offered good advice.

Many thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    The squeaking wiper symptom can be caused by many different problems.

A scale to measure how hard the arm is pressed to the glass used to be part of the mechanics tool box,havent seen one for years, I guess you could use a trigger pull gauge, and see if there is a great difference between sides. The coil spring on one arm can be weak, try swapping sides, see if the noise moves, same with the blades swap them side to side, if they "fit", you may need to replace the arm.

Blade beams that have had the "refills" replaced, can get loose from wear, or they might not be square to the glass. The wiper rubber squeege has to change direction to be able to wipe without streaking and remain quiet. The one size fits most blade "kit" with al the adaptors can cause more problems than the "factory" blade without adaptors. Make sure you have the correct blade.

Turn the wiper on low speed,let it run to the center of the windshield and turn the key off to stop it mid travel, raise the arm with the blade attached with your finger and gently let it back down to the glass look to see if the rubber squeege edge is perpendicular to the glass, it shouldn't be biased in either the up or down position, if it is, the arm can be bent (torqued-twisted) to get the squeege to set square.

If the arms are the bolt on type check to see if the bolt is tight, or if there is play in wiper pivot (also called the transmission)to blade junction, again the arms can be worn, or there could be some loose bolts holding the transmission, to the wiper cowling.

The older the vehicle the more chance of bent or worn wiper arm,blade, transmission and linkage, or it coud be a mix of problems.
    Last edited by dagger dog; 12-05-2012 at 08:45 PM.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

Boolit Master

Sounds like new blades are the answer. I have to buy the expensive ones bc my truck is fairly new. Still try to get them on sale. Also, every time I stop to wash the windshield I also wash the wipers, giving them a little attention with the squeegee and then wipe them dry with a paper towel. I also use Rain-X.
    Bulldogger

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Wipe the rubber blade with rubbing alcohol it cleans them up and helps restore the wiping action
    +1 on this.

another hint,
    when I fill up with gas and clean the windshield, I also run the window squeegy/bug sponge on the windsheild wiper. It cleans any oxides/residue off the rubber much like the alcohol wipe mentioned by my MN peep
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

+1 on the Rain X, it works the best of anything I have tried. And change the blades more often, when you first start to notice squeaking.
    "with liberty and justice for all"...must be 18 or older, not available in all states, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply. D. Stanhope

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Banned

In Texas we change our rubber wiper blades about every three months, usually due to the heat/sun baking them, or the cheap rubber just drying out (like dry-rotted tires, the chemicals that keep them pliable evaporate). Dust and the perpetual early-morning light frost kills them, too.

The best thing I've found costs $30 each and lasts two years with a little care: The silicone rubber wiper blades with the plastic spines. I can't remember the brand, but they're worth the price. I have one vehicle that I just keep throwing cheap Anco blades on because I get them for $4/pair at work.

Weak tension springs usually cause squeaking, and incorrect attack angle causes low-frequency chatter and honk. Worn transmissions or linkage bushings can exacerbate both.

Gear

In Remembrance

Cheap blades? The last set I bought were $56 for my Chevy truck, and that was the cheapest I could find.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Why do I remember wiper blades lasting so long, 25 years ago? The guy's at O'Reilleys think that the rubber content is alot lower now. All I know is that my wifes Rav is getting new blades two or three times a year, and it seems like I remember wearing a truck out before I wore out the blades!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar