Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the 7-08 a good cartridge for cast?

Is the 7-08 a good cartridge for cast?

I've been considering a 7-08 with a 1:11" twist (6-grooves). Any opinions with respect to this combo? I want to shoot < 160 grain boolits, fast.

MJ

Boolit Master
    How fast? Over about 2400 fps you need a bigger case like a 280. Over about 2800 fps you need a bigger case like a 7mag. Over about 3000 fps you need a bigger case like a 7mm WBY or STW.

I shot my 788 carbine with cast a bit in the 1990's.i used the 287308 Lyman and the RCBS 168 Sil bullet.I used 4759 @ 1900-2000 and i got about 1 MOA.it shot just as well as the 788 308 carbine I owned at the time.I always wanted a Rem700V in 7mm-08.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    How fast? Over about 2400 fps you need a bigger case like a 280. Over about 2800 fps you need a bigger case like a 7mag. Over about 3000 fps you need a bigger case like a 7mm WBY or STW.
    Up to 2400 fps is fine. The heaviest boolit I would consider is the NOE 150, of which I have no knowledge regarding it's actual weight or suitability to a typical 7-08 chamber/throat.

MJ

Banned

I just built one and have pushed it to 2600 with room to spare using 135-grain boolits. H414/Win 760 worked very well.

Gear

Boolit Master
    You said 160gn boolits in you OP so that is what I was basing my thoughts on.
    With 150s 2400 fps will be nearly right at top end.
    I used a 700V 7mm/08 one year as my fur rifle and it was a very dependable combo for as far as I dared to shoot them.
    My longest kill was 600 yards. I thought the shot was a mis and seemingly so did the coyote. He trotted off about 400 yards then just fell asleep.
    On my return home that evening I went back on the ridge he was on just to try to figure how much I missed by as I thought I shot low. I was first surprised not to find a low bullet strike and then very surprised to find the coyote shot through both lungs with just a very small hole in and the same out. Shooting 140 Sierras starting at 2400 fps and at 600 yards on a coyote got zero expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I just built one and have pushed it to 2600 with room to spare using 135-grain boolits. H414/Win 760 worked very well.

Gear
    Would a PAC-NOR 6 groove be up to snuff? They're available in both 1:11 and 1:12 inch twists. Like I said, < 160 grains which eliminates all the heavier silhouette designs. I would also like to use the 140 grain Sierra for deer and antelope on the prairie... probably gonna go with a 23" long barrel.

MJ

P.S. Gear, would you be talking about Lyman 287346?
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 12-03-2012 at 12:20 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Just about all ctgs are good with cast--------if you are willing to work with them------cartridges and rifles are all female!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    The short neck CAN be a problem. IF the leade is long enough to handle the long bullets , you SHOULD be all right. I've used long bullets in my 7tc/u, 7-30, 7-08 and .280 over the years. Some times with surprising results and some dismal failures. YOUR alloy and powder choice will have a lot to do with results! What are your intended uses of this load??

Boolit Man
    the Lyman 287 442 does very good in a rem 788 dont know about a hunter bullet, could file a metplate, or hp it

Quote Originally Posted by jhalcott View Post
    The short neck CAN be a problem. IF the leade is long enough to handle the long bullets , you SHOULD be all right. I've used long bullets in my 7tc/u, 7-30, 7-08 and .280 over the years. Some times with surprising results and some dismal failures. YOUR alloy and powder choice will have a lot to do with results! What are your intended uses of this load??
    Is this what I can expect from most reamers:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7-08.gif 
Views:	95 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	55229

This is actually a longer ball-seat than a SAAMI 308W chamber and I want to use as many boolit molds as possible without going tighter than a 1:11" twist. I actually think a better configuration would be to decrease the throat angle 1-2 degrees while shortening the ball-seat.

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 12-03-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Banned

Mine's a Savage barrel with a 9.5 twist and the pound cast looks just like the SAAMI drawing. I've been using the Lee boolit, but the front band has to be sized down to a slight taper to put the GC fully inside the neck.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    You said 160gn boolits in you OP so that is what I was basing my thoughts on.
    With 150s 2400 fps will be nearly right at top end.
    I
    Are you talking cast? My 788 carbine with my 125g deer load was @ 2800 and the 140 Nosler was about 2700.These were with H450 and showed no undue pressure even in the rear lugged rifle.

George
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    Are you talking cast? My 788 carbine with my 125g deer load was @ 2800 and the 140 Nosler was about 2700.These were with H450 and showed no undue pressure even in the rear lugged rifle.

George
    Pretty sure he was, otherwise the vernacular, boolits wouldn't have been used.

Anyone have a 7mm SAUM?

MJ

The 7mm-08 has all the powder capacity you need for cast hunting loads, no need for a larger case. The 7 x 57 is actually bit better case design IIMHO
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    The 7mm-08 has all the powder capacity you need for cast hunting loads, no need for a larger case. The 7 x 57 is actually bit better case design IIMHO
    I very much prefer the 757 case but was considering the 708 for two reasons:

1) Brass availability

2) I would probably need a customized 757 reamer to fulfill my cast boolits requirements. Here's the SAAMI version of a 757 chamber with its long, sloppy throat:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 757.gif  
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 12-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    MJ, I would select the full caliber boolit length first and foremost. Choose the case capacity to support 2400 fps with the slowest powder contemplated volume wise. Choose the neck length to fully support the bearing portion of the boolit. Insist zero freebore and 3 degree (or less) inclusive leade. Choose twist for boolit length and shape. Customize the reamer, knowing full well a close fitting chamber to the designed cartridge will require no more than 50 rounds of ammo for the life of the barrel. As the barrel leade enlongates, move the boolit out of the case. The barrel should last a lifetime, making the reamer and dies pay for themselves time and time again. ... felix

The more square the case design, the more the SEE conditions are favored. The more square the case design, the higher the average pressure is tolerated by both the gun and case. Condom BR rounds appreciate the square form which increases the powder's burn speed for best ignition while at the same time decreasing the flow of brass which can form the donut ring. Therefore, choose a sloping case form for better cast boolit selection over the long haul. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 12-04-2012 at 04:47 PM.
    felix

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure if the twist specified will stabilize a 160 grain boolit. A 1/12 twist 7 X 61 S & H has difficulty with some 160 grain J-bullets at 3000 fps but not all bullets of that weight. Bullet length is a factor in the 1/12. Short 160's will work in it. 1/10 in the same cartridge handles anything I throw in it. Not sure how cast boolits of that weight will respond.

Friend of mine won one at a gun bash with a 20" brl about 5 yrs ago and have taken deer, hogs and varments. Told me that It's his favorite gun'

Felix,

What's wrong with the .12" freebore associated to the 7-08 drawing in post #11? I would think it would mate nicely with a .285" diameter leade driving band and help alignment on something like RCBS 7mm-145 SIL or the NOE "Hunter" shown on the next page.

Regarding your suggestions, in other words, you're saying go with the 757 with a custom throat but I don't have any experience with custom reamers; and therefore, no confidence it'll work out properly. Can you draw a throat that would accommodate RCBS 7mm-145 SIL, the NOE Hunter and perhaps a Sierra 140 and/or a Hornady 139 all in a 2.9" magazine box?

MJ
    Last edited by Marlin Junky; 12-04-2012 at 06:43 PM.