Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 9mm Steyr reloading information

Boolit Bub

9mm Steyr reloading information

My father has a 9mm Steyr and I would like to make him some ammunition to shoot through it. He has some original ammo, but that is berdan primmed, so I dont want him to shoot it. It is a WWII broom handle and I am asking anyone here if they have any helpful information to share to making up reloaded ammunition since there is no current brass being manufactured for this round and no reloading information available. Thank you all in advance......

Boolit Master
    broom handles were made in 9mm luger and marked with a big red 9 on the grips. they were used in ww1. the most common cal. for the broomhandle was the .30 mauser. there some made in 9mm export. there french reworked some between the wars to 9mm.

to reload 9mm steyr use .38 acp data. you can use 9mm largo cases.

Boolit Bub

Thank you bob208, just what I was looking for.

Boolit Master

Hmm. My understanding (from reading, never handled one) is that the Broomhandle was chambered in either 7.63 Mauser or 9 mm Mauser aka 9x25 (red 9 on the grip) -- not Steyr, certainly not Luger/Parabellum. The Steyr round is 23.2 mm case length with a smaller head then the Mauser (by a few thousandths), the Luger of course is 9x19 with a head a couple thousandths oversize for the Mauser. The Mauser round was also, as I recall, loaded hotter than the Steyr or Parabellum, though a little lighter than modern 9x29 aka 9mm Magnum.

It's probably safe to use Steyr data in Mauser cases (though there may be cycling issues if there's not enough recoil), but be sure you have the correct length cases; the shorter Steyr cases may fire (held by the extractor), but you'll have bullets shaving on the step in the chamber where the case mouth seats to headspace, and if the extractor fails to ride over the rim before the case goes home, you might have a case lodge in the chamber with enough clearance the firing pin can't ignite the primer.

Boolit Master
    the red nines were 9x19. 9x19 is a common rework for a shotout .30 mauser bore. i have broomhandles in both .30 mauser and 9x19.