Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Two cavities easier than four!

Boolit Bub

Two cavities easier than four!

As a new caster, I was clueless about different mould designs etc. I have picked some up here and there and tonight cast up some with Lyman 4 cavity, Lee 2 cavity, and Lyman single cavity. I have learned that I prefer a two cavity over the 4 just due to the extra manipulation required to use the 4. The single cavity is easy of course but at 1/2 speed so I believe I am going to stick with 2 cavity moulds until I learn otherwise. Also learned that the fact that aluminum moulds heat up quicker is a nice little attribute of the Lee stuff. Lovin this stuff!

Boolit Master

Re: Two cavities easier than four!

Cutting the sprue can be done by hand with a 2-cavity which is nice. I find I have to tap the sprue plate with a mallot to cut the sprue on a 4-cav.

Once the mold is up to proper temp and the spur is nice and hot the 4 cavity is the only way to go. Your comparing the 2 cavity to 1 cavity is the same view I take on the 2 cavity vs. the 4 cavity, running a 2 cavity is like going half speed. I also use a gloved hand to cut the spur on the 4 cavity mold just like I do on the 2 cavity.
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Master

all of my best molds, Lee or not, are 1 cavity.

All of them.

ADMIN

Re: Two cavities easier than four!

The only 2c mold i have besides the ones for the master caster are mihec brass molds.
    4c is so much faster once you get the hang of it.
    Its all about mold temp.

sent from my mobile.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Master

I have moulds in 2, 3 , 6, and 8 cavity , about 25 in all, i prefer a 4 cavity or larger if its avalible , it also depends somewhat on how much i will be using that particular bullet.
    I can usually make about this amount of bullets per hour actual casting time . also depends on bullet weight & caliber, and i also shoot alot
    2 cavity 300 to 500 per hr
    3 cavity 400 to 600 per hr
    6 cavity ? forgot how many as i only have one and havent used it for a few years
    4 cavity 600 to 800 per hr
    8 cavity 1100 to 1400 per hr

Boolit Master
    . . . the extra manipulation required to use the 4.

If you are using the nutcracker style handles, I agree. Not, however, when using Lee's six-cavity handles.

Its all about mold temp.

That should be the forum's motto.

Boolit Bub
    Basing soley on a few sessions, the four cavity was awkward enough to slow me down alot. Maybe I will improve with it in time and think otherwise.

Boolit Master

Steel fours are too heavy for this old man's old back. Twos work great for me.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Back? I never hold mine in the air, it goes from the mould guide to the top of the metal casting table while it cools. Except for HP moulds I prefer 6 cav aluminum, 4 I consider a minimum. A 6 cavity with a bullet under 200 grains does about 1000/hr. Above that I have to use a cooling fan to keep up the volume. I do mostly pistol bullets for close range, long range bullets are a whole different thing. When I have to use a 2 cavity, like when doing balls, it seems like everything is in slow motion.

Boolit Grand Master

I am 77 years old. I MUCH prefer four cavity brass or steel and five or six cavity aluminum moulds. I have no problem whatsoever with a four cavity steel or brass mould. However, I admit my H&G six cavity iron mould is MUCH too heavy for fun (It weighs nearly five pounds). It sure does run the metal but I dread using it. Fortunately, I found a very nice H&G four cavity for a .38 wadcutter so the six cavity iron mould is on the shelf.

I only use two cavity moulds for the Cramer style moulds that Mihec produces. Hollow point moulds DO require extra manipulation so in that case, it is two cavity for me.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    Key point is that he was using a Lyman 4 can mould. Those nutcracker handles are miserable to use.
    I far prefer any 2 cav mould to a Lyman 4 cav with those handles.

What I really like is a good 4 to 6 cav mould with proper handles. I like Lee 6 cav moulds for production.

Gotta make a fair comparison. Nutcracker handles make a difference.

Boolit Master

So switch handles, Lyman does make the other style.

Boolit Master

I have a nut cracker handle on a 4 cavity mold, after I pour I set the mold on my basket , open the mold so the boolits fall into the basket, letting the mold rest on the basket, all the weight is supported by the basket.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I find Lee 6 cavity moulds way easier and more reliable than Lee 2 cavity moulds. Now that Lee has seen the light and are making new doubles with guide pins, maybe I can buy more doubles for low volume applications or when trying a new to me design.
    prs