Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bl-c(2)???

Bl-c(2)???

About 5 years ago, I garnered about 48lbs of powder from a local estate. The powder was located in an out building secured in an
    old fridge. One of the powders was in 2 tins with .630 diameter screw on spouts. The label says: Western Ball Type C Blend#41.

It appears to be BLC-2. Have used Hodgon BL-C(2) in the past, and this looks the same.

My question is does anyone recall the "Western" brand with a blend number listed?

Regards,

Scott

Boolit Master

As I recall there was an early BLC (1) before it was slightly changed to BLC(2).
    Never seen a #41 Blend...interesting!
    Bruce Hodgon...In 1947, he began acquisition of 80 tons of spherical powder salvaged from disassembled .303 British military rifle cartridges manufactured in the United States. By 1949, he was marketing the powder as BL type C. The C was to indicate the powder burned "cooler" than traditional Improved Military Rifle (IMR) powders.It also had a flash suppressant.All of the surplus BL type C had been sold by 1961.Hodgdon began marketing post-war production as spherical BL-C lot no. 2, or BL-C(2).
    Here is some info from another forum...http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463740
    Last edited by Mooseman; 11-24-2012 at 08:43 PM.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Bl-c2

I remember the earler BL-C (1) from "uncle" Dean Grennell`s prose. But dont recall the "C" being referred as cooler burning.

I`m eyeing this powder for use with my `52 K31 Swiss. I`ve recently had the opportunity to confirm that the K31 is in fact a very good performer with cast using the RCBS #82152 165gr Silhouette boolit. (St. Marie clamp on scope mount and a Leupold 10X scope.)

I already have some moly coated military 174gr FMJ and 168gr SMK`s loaded up for a try with the same set up.

Yesterday, I coated some 150gr bullets from a early box of Western Tool & Copper Works that have been here for quite some time.

I`m leery about risking my `52 K31 with this older BL-C (2), and it makes more sense to try it first with my Rem700 308Win.

Regards,

Scott

Boolit Grand Master
    Give Hodgdon a call or send an e-mail. What does the powder look like?? Still in good shape??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Bl-c (2)

It looks the same as the current powder, minus the very dark color. I have a pound of the current powder and use it in an M&P 15.

I transferred both cans into an empty Varget bottle, peeled the label off and carefully photo copied the original label and applied it to
    the palstic bottle. Did not want to risk it`s integrity by leaving it in those metal cans. The contents of both easily fit in the plastic
    bottle, and weighs 1/3-4 lbs.

Doubtful that the folks at Hodgdon would have an answer as it is so old. It`s like when I asked RCBS about a 3 die set`s date stamp
    code. The dies are marked 25 L&W SU (One of the many versions of the 25 Souper from the 50`s *??* .) They did not save records
    for such.