Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video of my Freedom Arms .454

Boolit Master

Video of my Freedom Arms .454

Banned

Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun?
    Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.

Boolit Master
    Your correct it is unsafe to carry an old lock work single action loaded under hammer,your also correct that I'm target shooting. I also ride in automobiles while there are other autos on the road,and I also,gasp, travel in airplanes time to time. In fact now that you mention it why would anyone even pull the trigger on any loaded fire arm knowing full well that it will set off a controlled explosion that could possibly go wrong anytime at all. I guess I'll take a few chances in my life and maybe step back from the keyboard once in a while and just get out and live, or die while living. If I worried about being 100% completely safe how exactly would that work anyway? Dennis

Gee I thought the FA 83 was a transfer bar gun like a NM blackhawk????

Thought about this for a bit and it dawned on me I have done a WHOLE bunch of crazy, potentially fatal things in my life. But in 35 years of using an old model Ruger Blackhawk the one thing I haven't done is drop it.

Safety is one thing, Stupidity is a nother.
    Last edited by bearcove; 11-18-2012 at 09:14 PM. Reason: rephrased

Boolit Grand Master
    ol 44 just has a thing for Freedom Arms is all
    why not take chances ??? I was told there are only two things in life for certain
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

You gonna get older or die?

Boolit Master
    Ship to me...I will take my chances and make payments for that one..I have a Taurus 5" and it is growing on me to carry around and not worry about any thing..People - dogs - crack heads either...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun?
    Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.
    No different than walking around with a round in the chamber with a safety on (which I never do). The only safety that works is our brain. Never understood the BS about not carrying a round under the hammer. Who is to say you don't slide against a bush and have the hammer cock then the next bush can release the trigger?

Safety is in our minds. Nothing else matters.

Boolit Buddy Blackhawk Convertable's Avatar
    Hey Dennis, Cool video. I especially like the flame coming out the barrel on a few of the shots...

Terence

Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? .
    Your telling me a $1500+ pistol that is factory made to hold 5 rounds can only safley use 4?
    "Life isn't like a box of chocolates...It's more like
    a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn
    your ass tomorrow."

Boolit Grand Master

Why are you loading 5 rounds in a Freedom that is not safe with a round under the hammer? OK, just target shooting but what if you dropped the gun? Sorry, I have to stay with safety first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcove View Post
    Gee I thought the FA 83 was a transfer bar gun like a NM blackhawk????
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    ol 44 just has a thing for Freedom Arms is all
    Yes, the FA is a transfer bar safety revolver. The only way to drop the gun and have it fire is to also at the same time the hammer is struck is for the trigger to be pulled dropping the transfer bar allowing the firing pin to be struck.

Yes, Mr. 44man never misses an opportunity to get in a dig on FA.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    Yes, the FA is a transfer bar safety revolver. The only way to drop the gun and have it fire is to also at the same time the hammer is struck is for the trigger to be pulled dropping the transfer bar allowing the firing pin to be struck.

Yes, Mr. 44man never misses an opportunity to get in a dig on FA.

Rick
    I have long been over the "dig stuff." However I have seen both the transfer bar and hammer blocks fail on them. Now please read all instruction manuals for Freedoms, all say no round under the hammer.
    But I am guilty too and when target shooting with 3 screw Rugers I stuffed 6 shots in the guns. But never for carry. Darn I did the same with Colts too.
    If you shoot IHMSA, you NEED five rounds.
    If you read the instructions for Freedom you see they do not trust their systems and I have seen worn parts.
    The 83 and 97 use different systems and I have seen hammer blocks not rise and also pushed the hammer forward on 97's to see the pin go out with no trigger pull. I have hand made parts that cured the problems.
    I have a picture taken from Freedom's catalog showing for both guns but have not figured out how to get the picture here.

I don't know , but mine is built like a bank vault. I trust it more than any other machine I have touched.

Rod

Boolit Grand Master

According to 44man all automobiles should be parked immediately and the keys thrown away. It's the only safe thing to do, there have been mechanical failures in the past and the things simply aren't safe to operate. Knives are a huge no-no, people have already been cut so how safe could they be?

Or is it only FA that could possibly, no matter how remote the chance have a mechanical problem?

I have long been over the "dig stuff."
    Doesn't appear that is so.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Banned

Attachment 54202 I believe some can fail but not all because I have seen it Rick.
    It was a strange thing to see the pins come out just by pushing the hammers.
    I was confused as to why the instructions stated what they do myself until I worked on many of the guns.
    Those few I found sure should never be dropped.

Banned

Not a dig Rick. More of a safety issue.
    I can only advise to check your guns, they might be fine but there is always a "what if."
    I can't ignore safety.

I bet he never walks in front of a running car that is just in park with the e brake on I've seen them fail to. i knew it was a matter of time before he started some bs on here

I think maybe we should all give up our guns because they are unsafe. People have been killed!
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Bub
    Nice video. I also liked the one you did on the 44 Blackhawk.