Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 147 grain 9mm mold makers???

Boolit Master

147 grain 9mm mold makers???

I've got a 9mm suppressor in process right now (all legal). I really don't expect I'll actually have it in possession till about mid-year next year. That said, I'm looking for recommendations on a 9mm mold for 147 grain or thereabouts boolits. That will bring the cost of quiet fun down in the very affordable range.

Also looking for a .358-.360 mold in +-250 grain for my soon to be arriving 357 MAX barrel. I really like the profile of MiHas 359640 mold and would love one in a heavier configuration (250 gr) with only one crimp groove

Any help appreciated.

Boolit Master

I like the SAECO design very much.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman mould #356637, 147grain round nose bevel base. Ive got this one in a 4 cavity. Uses a lyman .429 top punch. I bought mine about 1994. I havent checked lately to see if they still make it. Good luck Rick!!!!

Boolit Master
    Is hollow point a must, or is FN acceptable?

Boolit Master
    For this application flat nose will be fine.

Vendor Sponsor

I have some 6cav. aluminum molds.

Flat nose - bevel base.

See HERE!!!

IMPORTANT!!!!

Molds I have on hands are .358 (not .359) rest is the same
    Last edited by MiHec; 11-14-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    www.mp-molds.com
    --------------------------------------
    If you want to win, you must not lose

Danger! No lead through that can!

I must caution you about shooting lead through your supressor. I have a Bowers CAC9 that I shoot 4 submachine guns through: Uzi, S&W 76, MAC/9 and MAC/380. I was told by Bowers that shooting lead was OK so I did. After about 4000 or so rounds the can started losing efficiency. I returned it to Bowers and he was astounded at the lead buildup.
    This is with my standard alloy of 5 lbs ww to 1 lb linotype. This is not soft lead. It is not loaded hot....just enough to cycle the guns reliably.
    He replaced the baffles and said no more lead. He changed his company policy after that.
    NO LEAD THROUGH THE CAN!Check with the manufacturer and see what their policy is. make sure they will repair/replace baffles if the lead builds up.
    YMMV.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 11-14-2012 at 02:00 PM.

BE AWARE Fish4bugs is correct, you will need to be able to clean your can. You have several types of fouling that can build up - Carbon (either from J-word or Boolit shooting), Lube if using Boolits and Lead - you can soak a sealed can but that is never as effective as being able to disassemble to physically attack the fouling.

Be careful as lead dust is toxic to you as an adult but even more so to any children.
    And DIP use creates toxic lead acetate.

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    I've got a 9mm suppressor in process right now (all legal). I really don't expect I'll actually have it in possession till about mid-year next year. That said, I'm looking for recommendations on a 9mm mold for 147 grain or thereabouts boolits. That will bring the cost of quiet fun down in the very affordable range.

Also looking for a .358-.360 mold in +-250 grain for my soon to be arriving 357 MAX barrel. I really like the profile of MiHas 359640 mold and would love one in a heavier configuration (250 gr) with only one crimp groove

Any help appreciated.
    MP-Mold is great.6 banger will make a big pile of boolits in short time .A have also a Lyman 147 grain but boolits drop just way over 147 grain with WW aloy ,so hard to find loading data and not sure that weight over 147 grain is "healthy" for 9 mm ...

I have used 158 Cast and Factory 9mm ammo - just have to use the right powder to keep pressures in line.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I must caution you about shooting lead through your supressor. I have a Bowers CAC9 that I shoot 4 submachine guns through: Uzi, S&W 76, MAC/9 and MAC/380. I was told by Bowers that shooting lead was OK so I did. After about 4000 or so rounds the can started losing efficiency. I returned it to Bowers and he was astounded at the lead buildup.
    This is with my standard alloy of 5 lbs ww to 1 lb linotype. This is not soft lead. It is not loaded hot....just enough to cycle the guns reliably.
    He replaced the baffles and said no more lead. He changed his company policy after that.
    NO LEAD THROUGH THE CAN!Check with the manufacturer and see what their policy is. make sure they will repair/replace baffles if the lead builds up.
    YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    BE AWARE Fish4bugs is correct, you will need to be able to clean your can. You have several types of fouling that can build up - Carbon (either from J-word or Boolit shooting), Lube if using Boolits and Lead - you can soak a sealed can but that is never as effective as being able to disassemble to physically attack the fouling.

Be careful as lead dust is toxic to you as an adult but even more so to any children.
    And DIP use creates toxic lead acetate.
    I'm fully aware of the lead build-up problem. That said, the can I am getting is fully user-servicable. It is a Liberty Suppressors MYSTIC. Awesome multi-platform, multi caliber suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned by the end user. I do appreciate the heads up as many do not know that a sealed can and boolits is basically a no-no.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Banned

get a can you can take apart to clean, lead or other you will need/want to.

Quote Originally Posted by wlc View Post
    I'm fully aware of the lead build-up problem. That said, the can I am getting is fully user-servicable. It is a Liberty Suppressors MYSTIC. Awesome multi-platform, multi caliber suppressor that can be taken apart and cleaned by the end user. I do appreciate the heads up as many do not know that a sealed can and boolits is basically a no-no.

Thanks to all for the suggestions so far, keep them coming!
    Never-sez is your friend -Clean every 200 rounds or so - Nitrile gloves are handy - the less powder used to achieve the desired velocity/pressure the less clean up of the gun/can (N320 or N340 powder is clean burning)- Liquid Ablative comes out the ejection port so don't wear good shirts/pants and DO WEAR SAFETY Glasses. Look at the 358009 if you want a really heavy boolit for 357 max.

What weapon platform(s) is the can going on?

Boolit Master
    I'll use it primarily with the 357 MAX in the Encore, but it'll also see use in everything from a Glock 23 with 9mm conversion barrel to a 10-22(even though I've got a 22 can now) to my AR in both 223 and 300BLK. Pretty awesome suppressor.

Remington 22LR subsonic is less than consistant (try CCI or Aguila)
    Dont waste time trying to subsonic 223/5.56 - won't reliably work the action and in the end Aguila SSS provides same performance (you may need a faster twist barrel to get accuracy)
    Have you looked at the NOE 311-247 for 300 whisper?

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ht=247+whisper

Boolit Master
    I have looked at the NOE 30 cal mold, but right now am more interested in a heavy 35 cal boolit. The 300BLK will come later on. Believe it or not this suppressor, even though its a 9mm can, is rated for slow fire full power 223 out of a 16 inch barrel.

Take a look: http://libertycans.net/mystic.html

This from their site:

The Mystic is rated for the
    following calibers.

22 Hornet
    22 K Hornet
    218 Bee
    223 REM - 16" BBL
    30 PPC - Subsonic
    30 Carbine
    32-20
    357 MAG
    221 Fireball
    32 S&W Long
    32 H&R Magnum
    9X18
    9X19 (Base Caliber)
    38 Super
    38 Special
    38 S&W
    357 Max - Subsonic
    338 Spectre
    300 BLK
    300 Whisper
    300/221
    308 Win- Subsonic
    all rimfire cartridges
    5.45x39MM Russian
    We now rate it for the 300 BLK in
    both supersonic and subsonic on
    an 8" barrel
    7.62 X 39 MM
    FULL AUTO 300 BLACKOUT
    SUBSONIC AND SUPERSONIC.
    6.8spc

They have also just rated it for the 357 MAX in full power loads too.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Liberty Mystic suppressor. I like it a lot.

I started out shooting lead 9mm through the pistol booster and after 100 rounds it was caked with lead. It took me a whole day with a home made soda blaster to clean it up. The pistol booster housing is made from aluminum so you can't dip it. I only shoot FMJ through the pistol booster now.

I do shoot lead through the can with fixed barrel adapters. I do try to use gas checks on the 300 BLK subsonics but about half the time I'm too lazy and just run them without. Lead in the can is much easier to clean.

The Mystic is a great can. I'm thinking of getting a second one.

Boolit Bub

2nd The Lyman 4-Cavity

I have the Lyman mould #356637, 147grain round nose bevel base 4-Cavity. I really like it for my Glock 26 with a Lonewolf barrel and SWR Octane 9 HD suppressor. I can take it apart and clean it as often as I like. No complaints here.

But with that said...Bar-Sto currently has my Glock 34 and are putting in a match barrel for me. I sent along five sample dummy loads to them and they called this week saying the molded bullets would not work in their barrel. I'll stop here because I am going to open a new post about this issue. I will know next week if i will be selling this mold or not.

Dave makes a great product - try coating your baffles with never-sez before shooting - most of the fouling just wipes off.

Boolit Buddy
    for a heavy 357 cast bullet look at www.pennstatebullets.com --under 35 cal at the bottom is a 230 grain 357 flying brick----for suppressed subsonic try 5.1 grains of unique (get the sized ,357 & not the .3575)