RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Paper Patch book Recommendation

Boolit Buddy

Paper Patch book Recommendation

I would like recommendations on a book for paper patching and an idea of how fast you can push these? I want these for a mosin and a 9.3x74r.

So far, I have seen two books for sale:

1. The Paper Jacket
    2. Practical Paper Patched Bullet

Thanks,

Boolit Master
    Toolz568,

The Paper Jacket book is a good starter for PP. The NRA's Cast Bullet Manual, available as a free download on Castpics, is better and post-graduate PPCB work.

Any jacketed maximum velocity your rifle can achieve is easily achieved with PPCB. Matter of fact, the PPCB velocity will be slightly faster than jacketed velocities, ie. about 100 fps faster. Likewise, the PPCB accuracy will equal or better jacketed accuracy up to 1000 yds.

Best regards,

CJR

I started with the paper jacket. Then went through all of the stickies for this section. That is how I got my start.

Here is the best IMHO;
    Loading and Shooting Paper Patch Bullets
    A Beginner's Guide

By Randy Wright
    http://www.wrightgalleries.com/books.html

I cast and roll paper patch bullets for my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R. I cast SAECO's #352 mold. It is a double cavity mold that casts a 245gr, 0.358" bulet with wheel weight alloy. SAECO molds are of the highest production quality. When the two wet wraps of tracing paper dry and shrink the finished diameter is 0.368". No custom sizing die is needed. Expand the case case with Lyman's 9.3mm M-die and load with IMR-4064, Varget, or Reloader-15 powder. Accuracy is as good as any Barns, Nosler, Speer, and Privi Partizan bullets I have shot. One shot with one of these slugs will drop the biggest boars dead in its tracts.

Accurate Molds makes some 9.3m molds but I have not tried them yet. Their other molds that I have purchased are of the highest quality. They make 9.3mm molds in both paper patched and lubricated gas check styles. I may try their 9.3mm, 300gr gas check (37-300C)mold next.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/index.php

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the info and Reverend Recoil, I believe your the one that started me thinking about paper patch.

Thanks again.

Banned

All you need to know to get started with smokeless paper jackets is right here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=154034

The other two stickies have a lot of good information, too. The three stickies in this section are the condensed, real-life, practical, and straight approach to doing it. You can read volumes and the essence is still simply put into three sentences by Pdawg Shooter.

Gear