RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: Got a M1 Garand

Boolit Buddy

Got a M1 Garand

Finaly was able to seal the deal. Traded a shotgun and some cash and got a M1 Garand. It has a replacement ready made stock with the proof marks. It is a warbaby made in 04/44 by Springfield armory. I would rate the condition and metal an a. Now I have to load some ammo for it and try her out.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Master
    Truly a great rifle!

Congratulations!! Actually, my favorite rifle!!

Boolit Master

I was just talking with my 92 year old friend yesterday. He has one of the nicest little "tanker" Garands that I have ever seen. In fact that is the only one I have ever seen. He said he carried a Garand a million miles when he was in Germany. He still likes them. cdet69 it sounds like you got a good one. Enjoy it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I just came in the house from loading up 200 rounds on en-blocs - welcome to the sickness.

BTW, the fever never subsides!

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking online how it works. looks like a learning expierience is about to happen. Always good though to have to learn something new.

Not to mention it is a great cast boolit shooter.
    High Hook

Boolit Master

cdet, I'm sure you already know this but..............
    When handloading for the Garand, make sure you're using a powder that provides the correct port pressure. IMR-4895, 4064, and Win 748 are good choices (among others). As mentioned, your rifle will also perform well with cast. I use a 311299 over 35gr of IMR-4895; it cycles reliably and it'll hit the gong at 200yds all day. A pleasant load to shoot.
    Semper Fi.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone for the load data. I ordered a Lyman 311-299 mould but it seems to be lost in transit. Hope it is not under water.

Boolit Master
    Seeing is believing! where is the proof? (pictures)
    Frank G.

Boolit Buddy
    Here she is.

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the nice battle rifle cdet! I just got my first M1 last month, a Springfield Service Grade from the CMP. I'm still having fun getting to know this fine old piece of history.

Lots of information and links to resources over on the CMP forum.

Enjoy your new friend!
    "The worst wheel of the cart makes the most noise." - Benjamin Franklin

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." - Thomas Jefferson

cdet69,

Great rifle!! Be careful, you get to where you want more than one... I have 2 and looking at another!! As avogunner said above, stay with IMR 4895 or Win 748 for powders. They are time proven to match M2 ball ammo. My Garands both shoot better than I can. I have a Mar 45 receiver with a 47 barrel and a 2/55. Good luck with the rifle.

Rich

Boolit Bub
    up the road from an old western pa. coal patch
    Congratulations. The M1 is my favorite rifle. I swear i can shoot a Garand more accurately with iron sights than any other rifle i own . including a RR National match. It just fits me better and is quick to get on target. Tom

Boolit Master
    I've had good luck with above powders. Varget also makes for tight groups in M1s and M1As.

Ebner

Banned

garand at work.

Boolit Master
    Congrats- but please a couple little things for yourself and us. Read and learn all you can about this platform. Tear down, lube, not single poking and letting op-rod go full throttle to battery, reloading do's and dont's, not using gas cyl screw to pull cylinder forward. All that kinda stuff. 30+ in my life
    and cannot imagine not having to many. If you have any questions there are several been there done that like me lurking, ask out loud or PM me. I also have a ton of parts (really) I'll let you have the info you need for nothing, I am more than fair on other. Gtek

Boolit Master
    Cdet69, congrats. on your newly found friend. I own one M1 Garand made May 1942 and is completely Springfield through and through. Mine came with a National Match op rod which is made by Springfield as well.

I did a lot of research before trying to reload for my rifle. I found that IMR 4895 was the recommended powder for the M2 ball cartridge so I use it extensively. With my Lee 200 grainers I use 35 grains of IMR 4895 and it will cycle the action and not throw the brass too far. My M1 Garand is the sweetest rifle I've ever shot.

I started out qualifying in USMC bootcamp with an M-14 and as soon as I was out of bootcamp, our TO (Table of Organization) weapon was changed to the little Manny Matel M-16 which I qualified "expert" with. Never did like the M-16 or the cartridge. As soon as I could afford one, I got me an M1 Garand and I'm glad I did. You're gonna absolutely fall in love with that Garand and how sweet it shoots. Take care and God bless. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

I was a HP rifle match shooter for 7 years and it all started with the M1 Garand. It's a fussy rifle where everything that you do with it affects the point of impact. Later, I switched to the 1903A3 in matches and alternated with M1A and the black rifles. The Garand, however is my favorite and I don't recall ever having a malfunction with one. OH....wait.....I had a national match Garand double fire on me. Don't oil the sear engagement surfaces! She will rock & roll!

Flash
    You Gotta Die Of Something........It May As Well Be Something That You Like!

Lovin' the Harley Idle: potato........potato...........potato