Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did Winchester ever make a Model 70 Control Round Feed in 22-250?

Did Winchester ever make a Model 70 Control Round Feed in 22-250?

Did Winchester ever make a Model 70 Control Round Feed in 22-250? and other than a feather weight.
    TIA,
    Duke

Boolit Master

Yes they did , but only in the "Classic" series which was a remake of the pre-64.
    It was never produced in a pre-64 Model 70.
    Most were featherweights but they did make a Coyote Varmint rifle in SS.
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535144
    http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...01C&mid=535126
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Master
    Winchester chambered the m70 in 220 Swift before the 22-250 was a commercial cartridge. I guess the 225 was supposed to be their answer to the 22-250. As it (the 225) came out in 1964 I don't believe it was ever chambered in a control feed rifle.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    The Remington 22-250 was not standardized until 1965. Although I have seen some rebarreld to take the 22-250 but it realy does not count. Winchester still took custom orders so a pre 64 might be a possibility.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Give him a hug for me.

Boolit Master

Prior to 1964 the only Remington caliber chambered in a Model 70 was the .35 Remington and very few at that.

AT that time the 22-250 was considered a Wildcat.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Banned

i have a very early heavy barelled 22-250 [like late 65 early 66] it's a push feed.
    if they made any with controlled feed i'd say the serial numbers would be well under 900,000.
    Last edited by runfiverun; 11-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I saw in a book that Winchester made a 45-70. It was the only one but it was a custom order. I imagine if this was done than a 22-250 might have been done also. It would not have been Remington 22-250 because of the date but instead a 22 Varminter. I guess I just have high hopes and wishfull thinking that this might have happened.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Duke. She says thank you. By the way she is from Arizona not a Yankee. Maybe why she looks so great. Still my baby though.

Boolit Master

In the Book "The Riflemans Rifle" The Winchester Model 70 1936-1963 written By Roger Rule , He states That the first 22-250 Chambering in the Model 70 was in 1967 so it would be a Post 64 model.
    The Last serial number made Pre-64 was 581,471.
    The first Post 64 "New Model" started with 700,000 so there were No rifles serial numbered in between those 2 numbers.

I have a request for an answer into the Cody Museum as to the OP's question...But IF one was made it would be RARE and as yet unknown in the circle of Model 70 collectors that I Know.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by cdet69 View Post
    Hey Duke. She says thank you. By the way she is from Arizona not a Yankee. Maybe why she looks so great. Still my baby though.

What would be a parent cartridge to the 22-250 be?

Boolit Buddy
    The 250-3000. It was a Savage cartridge designed by Charles Newton.

Boolit Master

would bet rem as a copy cat used the 243win. to come up with the 22-250 250-3000 is about same
    anything rem made was a copy of someones design. but they made it cheaper

Boolit Master

The .22-250 started life as a wildcat cartridge developed from the .250 Savage case necked down to take a .224 caliber bullet. In the early days of the cartridge there were several different versions that varied only slightly from one to the next, including one developed in 1937 by Grosvenor Wotkyns, J.E. Gebby and J.E. Smith who named their version the 22 Varminter.

Boolit Master
    the 243 necked down is a middlestead, or a cheetah. lot more capacity than the 22-250.

Winchester currently makes a 22-250 in a Feather Weight which I have no love affair with the skinny sock and barrel. Would this be the same bolt heads as the .243? Maybe I could pick up a donor rifle and rebarrel it.

Banned

they have the same 473 rim and 409 undercut.
    the case is within .003 measured at the web. 470 to 467.
    so the 243 action should work okay as far as the feed rails and such.
    the magazine would be a titch long for the 250 case but should work.

Boolit Master

Just got a response to my inquiry...

The Pre-64 Model 70 was not offered in the .22-250. The .22-250 was not offered commercially until 1965 when it was offered by Remington as the .22-250 Remington. Prior to that, it was a Wildcat cartridge and the only commercial gun maker to offer a rifle chambered for the .22-250 caliber was Browning.

Kind Regards;

Daniel L. Brumley
    Curatorial Assistant
    Firearms Information
    Cody Firearms Museum
    Buffalo Bill Historical Center
    720 Sheridan Avenue
    Cody, Wyoming 82414

Banned

I know you like Winchesters Duke, but I had a CZ 550 American in .22-250. Controlled round feed, set trigger. It was EXTREMELY accurate.

Man, I miss that rifle something awful.