Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stainless steel polishing

Stainless steel polishing

Anyone here using the stainless steel media polishing method? If so, what are your thoughts on it and what does it cost (Aprox) to get started with it? Thanks in advance.
    Performance reloading equipment.
    www.Inlinefabrication.com

Boolit Bub
    i use it and love it.

i built my own tumbler set up

here is my set up

Boolit Master

Can't remember the purchase cost but the running cost is very low as the media lasts forever. The clean brass is where it shines, pun intended. Nothing cleans like SS pins, Lemishine and Dawn liquid with water. It has other uses as well. I regularly clean sprayer nozzles as the hard water and chemicals scale up and block the apertures. See the pic below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351509452.056048.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	49108

Bliksem
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

1in9Twist,

StainlessTumbling Media.com (STM) a sponsor here, has a set-up,

Thumbler's Tumbler, 15 pound Model "B" Hi-Speed, 5 pounds of S.S. media, Lemi-Shine
    for $225 plus shipping.

They have a Deluxe set-up which also includes a BRASS/PIN Sererator $255 plus Shipping.

Buffalo Arms also sells the set-ups.
    Last edited by Moonman; 10-29-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: info

Boolit Master

1in9Twist,

bigdawg, post #2 has tumbling units made from PVC PIPE of different sizes
    for different size units, which I believe he now has for sale too.

Stainless media is available for around $40-$45 for 5 pounds plus shipping, STM, Buffalo Arms,
    and I'm sure there are other suppliers of the S.S. pins. ( aprox. .042 dia x .252/.255 in length,
    a STAINLESS ALLOY that is also MAGNETIC to aid with seperation and removal.

Sweet! Good info! I am looking forward to trying it.

Boolit Mold
    The Only way to go

Boolit Bub

SS tumbler/pins is really a great way to go

bigdawg... weird! I have a setup that looks just like that!! Maybe even identical?

This is a plug for bigdawg- he builds these tumblers and let me tell ya, they are first class, heavy duty and built for the long (heavy) haul! I've had mine for getting close to a year now and am very pleased with the equipment. If you're on the fence about going SS pins and don't have a tumbler, really seriously consider his unit. Oh, and he packages it very well too!

I will add though, that I still use my traditional vibratory tumbler to clean up the cases after resizing to clean the sizing wax off and put a protective coating back on the brass.

Our water here has lots of hard minerals and plenty of them so the faster you can dry off the brass, the better it looks. On a hot day here that isn't too hard to do but I don't like hot days

Thanks again bigdawg! btw, I find and ordered mine from bigdawg over on the ar15 forums.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by abcollector View Post
    bigdawg... weird! I have a setup that looks just like that!! Maybe even identical?

This is a plug for bigdawg- he builds these tumblers and let me tell ya, they are first class, heavy duty and built for the long (heavy) haul! I've had mine for getting close to a year now and am very pleased with the equipment. If you're on the fence about going SS pins and don't have a tumbler, really seriously consider his unit. Oh, and he packages it very well too!

I will add though, that I still use my traditional vibratory tumbler to clean up the cases after resizing to clean the sizing wax off and put a protective coating back on the brass.

Our water here has lots of hard minerals and plenty of them so the faster you can dry off the brass, the better it looks. On a hot day here that isn't too hard to do but I don't like hot days

Thanks again bigdawg! btw, I find and ordered mine from bigdawg over on the ar15 forums.

thanks for the props. i have 30-40 of them out there now

no matter what wet tumbler you use you won't regret it one bit. nothing like spanking clean brass.

I have been using the ss pins but its a pain to separate them from 5.56 cases. How are all of you doing it? Also I have hard water, is there a way to keep them from spotting right away?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzep View Post
    I have been using the ss pins but its a pain to separate them from 5.56 cases. How are all of you doing it? Also I have hard water, is there a way to keep them from spotting right away?
    i use my frankfort arsnal separator like so:

i don't use the tub anymore but this is how i do it.

then i put on a towel and dry like i was cleaning a bowling ball. put on another dry towel pat dry and put a fan on them. never had a spotting issue and i have pretty hard water.

you may try using more lemi shine also.

So crank it around a few minutes under running water and they wash ou?

Boolit Bub
    yep, here is a video of my procedure if you want to check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVHvMNf6tM&feature=plcp

It is funny, this stainless steel craze hit about 12-24 months ago and everyone thought that the wheel had been invented.

I bought the complete Handloader on DVD and was searching for something unrelated and when I brought up a an early edition from the 70's guess what I seen on the front cover?

A rock tumbler with stainless steel pins and balls and guess what the formula was? Almost exactly what is used now for water, soap and water conditioner (Lemishine).

I built my own and love it but the more things change the more they stay the same.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Boolit Master

hunter64,

Many people weren't even alive in the 70's to read things.

Things have also been improved over time by the users of the system.

The population has increased, so the number of folks using

firearms and reloading has also increased along with ones S.S. Tumbling.

SS meida tumbler

I am like many people here I love to make things I read about makeing a tumblet about 14 months ago my first try did not work out I was trying to use a celling fan moter and I did not have the right pullys for it . then a friend gave me a papper folding michine he had at his print shop and before you know it I have a tumbler by takeing off abunch of stuff an moveing one roller here it is what took me 8 to 12 hr to do I can do in 2 hr better using ss meida , dawn dish soap , and limon shine D Crockett

How do you guys dry em off? Drain off the water and dump em on a towel? I read where a guy was throwing em in the oven? (Which is silly, cuz we all know the wife's oven is for forming Kydex......)

Boolit Master

I've both let them dry in the sun, dry in the living room on a towel and when in a hurry I have used the over set about 225F. The oven in our house is mine, the wife doesn't cook much and knows I am a much better cook. She picked all of the other appliances in the kitchen, the oven (nice convection model) was chosen by me.

Boolit Bub
    i dry mine with a towel and then put a fan on them for a few hours to overnight. most of the time a do a batch after work then dry them put the fan on and go to bed. put stuff away in the morning.

Boolit Buddy
    Guys what are you still talking about.
    Wash your brass during the summer time place it on the direct sun and in an hour is totally dry.
    Then after usage place it in another bucket to be prepared for the next year