Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old eye candy

Boolit Master

Old eye candy

Hello all,

Well I was downstairs today reloading and re-arranging my reloading area a bit and ran into some powders I had stashed away some years back.

I've been reloading for over 30 years and I'm guessing a couple of these items were that old when I bought them almost 30 some odd years ago.............I evidence this by the price on the UNOPENED can of IMR4064 I found..................$5.95!!!! I can't remember when I paid that little for a lb of powder.

The other cans I picked up at various yard sales etc simply because I collect Pre WWII .22 shell boxes so if I see anything gun related that is old, well, wife says I have demons. She even looks for the stuff for me.

Anyhow any input on the age of these things would be great, I thought they might make a decent coversation topic because I'm sick to death of politics.

Art

Unique:

4831:

4064:

Oldies but goodies!!!!
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

More really old eye candy

Art must be we Northern MI guys just never get rid of anything here is a couple photos of my old can of Dupont Bulk Smokless powder I purchased in Traverse City, MI and used in testing duplex load's with black powder, also included closeup of the price tag {makes you want to cry}, the can still has powder in it and not bad as far as I can tell, the duplexing did not work in the muzzle loading slug gun I tried it in at the time.
    Wish I still had the gun and not the powder, 32ideal

I finally used up the last can of Bullseye I had in the metal tin, just like the photo of unique above. i threw the tin out and am starting to regret that move now. Unlike some folks, I have to make the consciious effort to NOT hoard and/or packrat all my collection of stuff over the decades......

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    One shop in Lexington that has had several owners over the decades still had a few metal cans of Dupont and Norma powders in stock a few years ago. Unfortunatley they were at current prices.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Art 5.95 sounds like mid to late 1970's. If my rememberer is working IMR 4831 was introduced in 1971 and when the first cans hit the hardware store it was about 3.50/pound. That's right, about 4 times as much as Bruces surplus 4831, what has the world gone crazy?
    Charter Member #148

One thing that has never looked right in my eyes is how DuPont/IMR has always located the powder name on a squat little cartridge that looks like a .41 Rimfire Short. When I see it I always think, "why do they make so many varieties of super fast pistol powder?"
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I remember having those short squatty square cans of powder around back before I was 10yrs old and I'm knocking hard on 49 right now. Also had the exact ones with the push in tops for the 4831, you had to open with a screw driver as well.

My pop used to keep a decent supply of 2400 for the Carbine's and it was the short square cans, I think I still have one around here somewhere in all the junk.

I also found some Peters rifle bullet boxes as well as some old Western Cartridge boxes in a box of stuff stashed away in the closet.

Not sure if they are worth anything but cool to look at once in a while.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

I have some old Peters Rustless and Federal Monark shot shells that belonged to my grandfather. I wish I could've gone hunting with him , he died when I was 7.

How's this?

Or this?

Boolit Master

Rocky, I just set that photo as my background on desktop right now. NICE pic! Thanks for that.
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Banned

i had to show little girl how to close the lid on an old can of herco yesterday.
    she figured out the push the middle to open thing, but the push on the edges to close eluded her.

Quote Originally Posted by PS Paul View Post
    Rocky, I just set that photo as my background on desktop right now. NICE pic! Thanks for that.
    Same here! Looks great.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Grand Master

Some good memories here! Like Hogden's 4831 at 50 cents a pound in a paper bag at Shawnee Mission, Ka.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

This is Unique.

Longone

I have a Bullseye Unique and 2400 tin like those. I refill them out of the plastic 8lbers. They look cool

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
    How's this?

Or this?
    Flipping beautiful man. Those primers remind me of my. 22 collection!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

That little sleeve of Peters primers is unopened. I made the mistake of trying those Western 1½ primers in my Hornet - and found that they give me great velocity and accuracy. Now I can't stop using them!

I also have boxes of both Western and Peters .38 Wadcutter ammo, Peters shotshells, and old "diamond box" CCI primers. No photos of those, though. Most of it came from "widow sales" when I worked in a gun shop. Powder, primers, and ammo can't be re-sold so the staff split up that stuff for ourselves. I usually took the old stuff, just because the packages are so cool.

Boolit Master

Last edited by 10x; 11-08-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master
    Tazman1602, if your wife now helps you find that stuff, then I'd suspect her of having a demon or two too. Lol. Sometimes it's catching. My wife's now helping me find a receiver blank for a Yugo B70 AK-47. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."