Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: first wheel weight bucket

Boolit Bub

first wheel weight bucket

Recently started trying to find a local lead source. Had to try out the local tire shops, found one that will give me any laying around and let me put a bucket in the corner, however only get bout 10-20 pieces a week so far all lead, but free is free. Found two that sell them one charges 30¢ a pound, the other $40 for a 5 gallon, went yesterday to pickup a $40 , told me it takes a month to fill one, and.that they have a regular,.however they are sitting on 3 1/2 and when I told them I only wanted one to check the yield they lost interest and sold me the 1/2 for $20. Oh and I forgot my bucket so just dumped it in the back of my truck so no initial weight. This is my first time sorting, already feel like a pro, crazy some of these I could do with my eyes closed. When done ill weigh each group. So far seems that stick on and clip on are proportionate in here. Seems to be a lot of steel by volume, couple handfuls of zinc.

For you guys that do this a lot do your yields seem fairly consistent from time to time or is it mere luck of the draw?

And what are these?

And this sure would be a neat mold to have for tin or other sweeteners.

Boolit Bub
    22# clip on
    14# stickons
    5# zinc
    28# steel

This is what I came up with. Check some others and try another bucket when I can.

Ah the first bucket...I remember it well. Oh yeah, it was just last week. I don''t have any personal yield averages, but one of the guys here said around 80%. Mine fell right in that vicinity. All I know is i didn't have a full 5 gallon bucket and it weighed 113 pounds. With a few other pounds from other places thrown in I ended up with 90 pounds of ingots from 115-120 pounds total scrap. Total cost was 38 bucks and the near empty propane cans i had lying around the shop. I didn't use them all. not bad. Way cheaper than buying bullets. I still don't have a mold, but a buddy is sending me a lee bottom pout he has as a spare. I'll be casting before too long.
    keep scrounging.

God Bless!

Ron
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Buddy
    save that zinc an when you get a medium flat rate box full e mail grady_mitchell2002@yahoo.com i will trade your zinc for lead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b52fizzle View Post
    And what are these?

That is zinc.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Bub
    Thanks fellas! Goin about it slow just collecting stuff up see if I'm even gonna be able to find a cheap reliable source, have one mold no handles and 3 fryers but have only cooked crawfish a lot and one turkey!

No problem Shady ill save em for ya. Read up on smelting them and pewter bout ten years ago, what all do you do with them? I was lookin to cast grips back then.

Thanks Bumpo wasn't sure some sort of ancient Arabic or heiroglyph? Ancient wheel weights, looks like some markings I had on an old Turkish mauser.

May I ask what b52fizzle means? Is it a song by the group or a reference to a former career field?
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Bub
    Something AOL recommended after entering a username, can't even remember what originally. Bout 20 years now, but only recently gettiing questions on it. Lot easier to use the same one for everything. Do like the music though!

Ah..old b52 bomber guy here...thought you might have been one too.
    Shoot more, type less.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by b52fizzle View Post
    Thanks Bumpo wasn't sure some sort of ancient Arabic or heiroglyph? Ancient wheel weights, looks like some markings I had on an old Turkish mauser.
    With such a big picture, it kinda looks like a small "5" on top of a large "Z". It looks more like a 5 if you rotate your pic 180 degrees.
    Probably means: 5 gram zinc weight.
    Last edited by bumpo628; 10-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Yes that is a import ww made of zinc.