Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Hexagonal Boron Nitride

Boolit Mold

Hexagonal Boron Nitride

anybody tried this for cast lead boolits? boolit tumble lube? im new pls excuse my ignorance thanks...

Boolit Master

What the frack is HBN?! Never heard of it.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

I've used it on impact coatings for condoms and played around with it in a suspension out of my 22LR BR rifle. I haven't gotten around to experimenting with it in a wax type carrier yet and as far as TL goes I was thinking of trying it on some subsonic .30 boolits as a coating over dried (still tacky) mule snot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Banned

Somebody here uses it in their tumble-lube formula IIRC, might run an advanced search for HBN and specify the lube sub-forum.

Gear

Boolit Mold
    nobody tried this yet tumble lubing cast lead boolits? like regular tumble?

Boolit Grand Master

I get it in powder form, not something I would use as straight tumble lube.

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Mold
    i know they used it for jacketed bullets, im curious if somebody already used it on lead bullets...

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I've heard of good results when using it in engine/lubrication oils as an additional friction reducer.

Keep us informed please.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

Wait -- isn't boron nitride the second or third hardest substance known (behind diamond and maybe tungsten carbide)? Why would we want that in our barrels?

Seems it is supposed to be the solution to MDS (if it actually needs a solution).
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Buddy
    Hexagonal boron nitride is a lubricant while cubic boron nitride is an abrasive. The properties of the two forms of boron nitride are comparable to the differences between graphite and diamond.

Boolit Master

Hey, I learned something. . .
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I've used it on impact coatings for condoms and played around with it in a suspension out of my 22LR BR rifle. I haven't gotten around to experimenting with it in a wax type carrier yet and as far as TL goes I was thinking of trying it on some subsonic .30 boolits as a coating over dried (still tacky) mule snot.
    Please explain the " impact coatings for condoms " Are you talking about lubrication for a prophylactic ( aka rubber ) ? I'm not understanding this.

gary

Banned

Condom = copper-wrapped bullet. Some people still insist on using "protection" for their lead.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Gear!

You put it into a tumbler with stainless steel balls and a little HBN powder and some J-words then let it run. The impact of the balls will impregnate the jackets with a little of the powder, reducing fouling and increasing (slightly) velocity.

Boolit Master
    Hey, I learned something from a noob!! One of the beauties of this forum
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master
    I take my Alox tumbled lubed bullets and then tumble them in a container of BN to give them a slippery coating. So slippery you can barely grab them to pick them up.

Been using it as a replacement to Moly on jacketed bullets for benchrest shooting for years.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

I use a spray HBN for coating my ingot moulds for aluminum scrap. It is very slick stuff and releases the ingots very well. It's usually used for runners from holding tanks to moulds or injection machines.

I tried coating a Lee .358 158gn wc mould with it to deleterious effects. It builds thickness quickly and showed problems with fill out (rounded corners). I had not tried spraying boolits.
    "Unnh, Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Chuck