Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a call from Moma

Boolit Grand Master

Got a call from Moma

Moma just called. As of Monday, she's moving into an assisted living facility.

I think she has finally realized she can't live by herself anymore. She's fallen several times in the last month and now she's scared.

This is a big decision for her and a difficult one to make. She and Daddy built that house in 1940 and that's the only place she's known for 72 years. If she makes it to 05 JAN, she'll be 95.

She will, however, be within a coupla' miles of my brother's youngest daughter and her husband. They are genuine family oriented people and Bob and Carey will stop by on a regular basis to see her.

By the way, from time to time, Moma still mentions the flowers from "all those men you know".

Boolit Grand Master

Jim

Went through this with my own mother and inlaws a while back. It is hard sometimes and gets harder. My only advise is to visit as often as you can and visit even when you think you can't because when they are gone.......... You will not regret it down the road. Best wishes to your beautiful mother BTW.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Good advice, Larry. Thank you.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the update on you mother. I continue to wish her well and hope that her new accomidations suit her. My oldest sister moved into such a situation after a stroke and really enjoys it, she has made many new friends and new interests.

Boolit Grand Master

Headin' to Charleston

0800 hrs-

My brother just called from Charleston. He needs help getting Mom's stuff moved to the facility, so I'm about to pack and fly outa' here.

I'm taking my laptop and air card with me, so I may be able to log back in and catch up.

Keep the gate locked an' the fire burnin' and don't forget to stick a candle in the window!

Later, guys!

Boolit Master
    Godspeed and our best wishes to your momma.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Proof God really loves us.To give such a wonderfull gift .Bless you and all your endeavors.I'm going right now and give my mom a big hug and a kiss.

Boolit Grand Master
    Due to leave within the hour. Will not have access to internet while there. Will check in when I return.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Pray all goes well, and have a safe trip.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Jim I know this is a hard time for all the family. As you have stated it is especially hard for moma as she is leaving the place where most of her life has been spent. The memories of all those Christmas past, etc. She has a great support group in her family. As has been said visit her as often as you can. She values and needs your support. GodSpeed to you and all.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

Jim,our prayers are with you and family. We are making the same decision with my brother right now. By the way, it's clear where your good looks came from. Please pardon the humor at this moment. We lost my Mom on Aug 13th.
    Being human is not for sissies.

That had to be a very tough decision for your mother Jim. I know that the day my late father moved out of his home of 60 years it broke his heart. The very best wishes from the South Pacific.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    I remember the night my mother fell down and called me. It was the 3rd or 4th time. But, that night she hit her head on the stationary bicycle on the way down and was bleeding. I called 911 and still beat them there (11 mi. for me). She was fine, but that was the night I moved her in with us; she was 84. She lived with us for 7 years and passed away right under me while I was giving her CPR. She was 1 month shy of her 91st birthday.

Your very lucky to have your mom with you so long and although it may be a sad that she has to move out of her home. It's great that she is still mentally capable of making this decision on her own.

During the last 3 years of my mother's life she suffered from dementia and would sometimes ask us to take her home. That her mother must be worried about her.

Your mom will have much to talk about and much to share with the other folks at her facility.

Regards and best wishes for your mom,

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

This is a tough decision for her to make. However it was a decision she made and was not forced on her, as happens so many times. Because it was her decision, she will adjust much better and find a good quality life. When these things are forced on the elderly, they have the anger and bitterness to deal with and seldom adjust well.

I think I would like your Mom. Tell her Hi from Charles in deep south Texas!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Moma is settled in

Very busy weekend.

I got there around 5 PM Saturday, we moved the necessary furniture Sunday morning, moved Moma Monday morning and I left Tuesday morning.

At any rate, Moma is in her new place, settled and comfortable.

A close friend of the family (left, 1st photo) bought a nice outfit for Moma to wear, they fixed her hair and got her all primped up.

Moma has had a Hispanic lady (right, 1st photo) working for her for several years helping around the house. It was a sad parting.

We no sooner got Moma to the facility than the entire staff came out to greet her. You would have thought a foreign dignitary had arrived.

One of the staff brought her favorite lunch, toasted BLT, and she was thrilled at all the special attention.

She made a point of telling me to be sure to "...send a picture to those men that sent me those beautiful flowers". "Yes Ma'am, I'll see to it."

Boolit Buddy

Your Momma

Jim,
    Your Momma is a physically beautiful lady. I'll bet she was a knock-out in her younger days. What happened to you? LOL
    Jack

Boolit Grand Master
    Jim,
    Your Momma is a physically beautiful lady. I'll bet she was a knock-out in her younger days.

Daddy used to tell me that years ago when he was still alive.

What happened to you? LOLJack

I fell in with a bunch of rogues and miscreants on some two bit bullet casting forum.

Boolit Master
    Good to hear you're home safe and all went well.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Buddy

Jim, I am so glad to see she is in good hands. I hope this works out well for her. You tell them folks they had better take care of her.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty's Retired View Post
    Jim, I am so glad to see she is in good hands. I hope this works out well for her. You tell them folks they had better take care of her.
    Yeah, otherwise, I might show up with some rogues and miscreants.