RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Strange (to me at least) Lyman 35863 WC

Boolit Bub

Strange (to me at least) Lyman 35863 WC

Hello,

a while back I purchased this Lyman 2 cavity WC mold. It drops around 105 grs bullets and I got it to have a lighter WC bullet, different from the classic 148 grs, for test.

At the beginnig I didn't pay attention to the mold number and only today I realized that it is numbered 35863, that is the same number of the 148 grs version.

So, what do you think?

Thank you and best regards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35863 105 grs.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    Anyone?

Boolit Master
    i am not sure of your question....

i would guess it would work fine, just keep your speed down.

it should be accurate for plinking,mine is.

enjoy !

Boolit Buddy

Smile Strange to me

Just a misnomer by Lyman. An older mould used many years ago. Anyway you received what you ordered. Welcome to CastBoolits. Enjoy your new endever. CAREFUL WITH HOT LEAD...thebigmac

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

See the "S" stamped on the one block? At one time, Lyman actually had much more flexibility and would short-cherry a mold upon request. They also offered some designs in several different weights, using a couple of different designation systems to distinguish which version a mold was supposed to cast. Very convenient for the original buyers and very confusing to any re-purchasers. Collectors love this kind of stuff... Run it and have fun with them.
    Rick

Banned

hornet got it.
    they would do several molds with the same number but with different weights i have seen 4-5 different weights listed in thier description.
    they would just back the cherry out to the next lube groove shank or the end of a drive band.
    that's why sometimes you'll see plain based molds that have the base drive band one or two thou bigger.
    they just done a run of the lighter molds and then went to the longer ones and that part of the cherry wasn't worn down.

Boolit Bub
    Ok. It's not a problem for me having this light WC mold. When I got it from a private owner I got it right because it was a 105 grs bullet. and I'm enjoing it..

I was just asking why it is marked like the 148 grs version.

It's a nice mold and a really fine bullet. recoil is almost no existent and the results are quite good.

Thank you all.

Super Moderator

...............I have a 4 cav 35863. It does indeed drop a 150gr WC. Best of all cast of pure lead they drop at .363" Now if you had a 38 Special that OD might give you gas, but since I have 3 revolters in 38 S&W it's the cat's meow!

It's the 2nd from the left, and is eated out to the 38 SPECIAL OAL so I can use 38 Special load info sice it's going to be shot in a Victory model Smith. NOT to be used in my nice ole Iver Johnson break top!

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance