Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: New to me Rifle

Boolit Buddy

New to me Rifle

I have aquried a Rifle in excellant condition, i think its a Millitary Rifle made in Italy, it is a carbine, in 10.35mm caliber, has paper work with it that says Vetterli machetto, can you guys tell me what i have, thanks, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

George,

If you have what I think you have, it's a Swiss rifle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vetterli_rifle

Does it have double firing pins in the bolt, one for each side of the rim? If so, it's in the original rimfire configuration. Finding ammo will be problematic.

Some guys convert them to a centerfire firing pin, and use 348 WCF brass as a start to make their ammo. I shot a converted one years ago. I believe the owner used a .44 caliber cast bullet. I don't remember how much modification is involved in the case work or bullet.

Vetterlis have a reputation for being well made. Can you post some photos?

Sounds like a fun project. Enjoy!
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 10-06-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the reply, it appears to be Mod 1870, adopted by the Italian Army, 10.35x47 mmR. Centerfire single shot. The paper with it says to make brass out of 45-70 or 348 WCF. the rifle is in Montana, i have not picked it up yet, will try to post pics when i get it, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Boolit Master

George,

IIRC, about 15 years ago I was invited to help fireform some rounds from a Vetterli. It was a long barreled beast. The owner, had made a small steel spacer that he would slip on each 45-70 case's base. (I don't remember what other modifications he did to the cases.) I thought that was odd to have to shim the base of the 45-70 case. I did some research and found that RCBS sells a die to form 348 Win brass to Vetterli. The centerfire conversion would also be necessary.

When I saw the new Vetterli cases made from 348 Win brass, the owner needed to turn the base of each case slightly in order to get them to chamber. So from what I remember, 45-70 is a bit narrow at the base, and 348 WCF is a bit think at the base. I hope this helps you.

Good shooting,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 10-06-2012 at 09:23 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you, it is already Centerfire, be a good Winter project, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member

Boolit Master
    Did it come with the bayonet? They run almost as much as the rifles themselves, if you can find one. It is usually called the 10.4x47R Vetterli cartridge. Mine shoots a commercial cast .44 American 218gr heeled boolit accurately with a 13.5gr Unique plinking load using CH dies, and brass is available formed from .348 Win. I here 8mm Lebel brass is easier to start from, but I have not heard of using .45-70. You will need to cast the chamber since some have to use undersized or heeled boolits because of a tight throat/chamber mouth. It originally had a jacketed bullet that was at its largest just in front of the neck, kind of strange looking, and the reason for the chambers that will not take normal bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry, no Bayonet, thanks for the info, George.
    NRA Life Member
    USMC Life Member