Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a paypal rant

Boolit Buddy

a paypal rant

i sometimes think i may be a slight bit retarded . but for some reason when i see someone selling something and asking for the buyer to use paypal as a payment service .. and then having the nerve to expect the buyer to add an extra 5% 6% or what ever to pay their fee's just realy ticks me off to no end .

if you dont want to pay the dang fee yourself do not use paypal .. its that easy

dang i dont understand why that ticks me off .. but it does .... to top it off i dont even use paypal

Boolit Master

I guess you don't like cash discounts at gas stations either.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Many of us, if not most of us, avoid Paypal like the plague. Their nasty attitude toward gun-related stuff is just for starters. So the default mode here is mostly checks, Money Orders, or cash, and asking prices reflect that.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    thx ... i fail to see any resemblance between the two

I look at paying the 3% as paying for the convenience and getting what I bought a week sooner.
    I have far more important things to worry about, like teens not knowing enough to pull their pants up, cars with stupid spinning hub caps and why road hunters wear orange!
    The .357 Magnum......
    Major Douglas Wesson, using factory loads, which were a 158 gr. soft lead bullet, traveling 1515 fps, from an 8 3/4" barreled S&W, producing 812 ft. lbs of muzzle energy.
    Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
    Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
    Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
    Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot).

It kind of makes one wonder, why today, it will bounce off anything bigger than a rabbit

Perma-Banned
    what i don't understand is how any gun-owner can use such an anti-gun service to buy/sell anything.

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

have a good'en neighbors, bubba.

Boolit Master

I both buy and sell... If I use USPS money orders, as a buyer, I have to stop working, drive to the Post Office, stand in line, fill out MO and the envelope, stamp the envelope, and wait... As a seller, I have to wait.

If I use PayPal, as a buyer, I click a few keys and it's done. No lost work time, no trip to the post Office, no MO fee, and no stamp. I usually get whatever I paid for within a few days... All that is worth something to me. I am saving time and money. I decide whether it is worth paying the 3% or whatever, or mailing a money order...

As a seller, when a buyer uses PayPal, I get paid right now, print a shipping label immediately, without having to rely on my shaky handwriting, pay for the label using PayPal, and usually I save a bit on postage. The buyer gets their purchases quicker.

As for anti-gun, I think they were just cowards. When a mass murderer bought some of his ammo through EBay, they panicked. They are just pro-money. Has anyone else noticed you can buy more and more gun parts on EBay (the owner of PayPal) now? I even managed to buy some brass here a while back.
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 10-05-2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: fix a typo

Boolit Master
    I know what you mean. I once won a forum auction that was to be paid by descrete paypal (ie gift) that had the hidden charge in it that I was not aware of. I know about it now and consider it in my bids.

Boolit Master

I accept Paypal but never ask for the extra percentage. Why? Because it speeds up the transaction, plus I have some sort of record. And making things easier for the customer is almost always good business. I have enough things going on without trying to remember every transaction I do on the 3-4 boards I deal with. As for being anti-gun, I figure if I refused to deal with every company that didn't agree with all my political views I wouldn't be able to function in this society. If and when they come up with a gun loving equivalent to Paypal I will be glad to use it. The last venture of that type ended up ripping everybody off. PLUS everytime I sneak by a restricted transaction on Paypal I feel I stuck it to them just a little bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5shotbfr View Post
    thx ... i fail to see any resemblance between the two
    The similarity is, the seller sets a price for one method of payment, and the price for another method.

With some gas stations, it's one price for cash, and a higher price if paid with other forms of payment.

With some sellers online, it's one price for checks/pmos/etc. and a higher price for paypal.

They set the price, you decide if you are willing to pay.

Honestly, I don't really like it either, but it isn't going away, and honestly appears to be getting more prevalent.
    "I have enough ammo and guns to shoot my way into Nevada." - California resident.

Boolit Buddy
    thx ok i gotcha now .. i am a bit slow , here in ohio a retailer cannot charge more for credit transactions versus cash sales so i was a bit baffled .

i dont have a problem with someone wanting their fee's covered if they prefer other forms of payment .

it is the people who only want paypal and nothing else and still want to charge that extra percentage that burn my butt .

it realy shouldnt bother me as i do not, nor do i ever plan on using paypal .

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Except when something you've waited years to find & then turns up on a auction site & they only accept PayPal.

Life's a bitch sometimes.................

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

PayPal is as with everything else can not please everyone all of the time.

Use it if you wish, if you wish not to, don't! Simple solution!!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

Well its the best out there so get off your computer and start walking . 20 years ago you old farts said a cell phone was useless. THIS is 2012. get your head back under the rock

Pay Pal fee is 3% flat.
    I’ve also seen many who charge 4% or even more for using pay pal. There is law on the books making such charges illegal. However like most laws they are not enforced. Since no one at “Homeland Security” is interested. As is the way it should be. Only proper way to deal with those add-ons is to refer back to old Hank Williams Jr. songs . “you can just kiss my ***.”

Any business that can’t take a check needs to move to a county that prosecutes check fraud as a felony which it is. Or just keep paying American Express there 9%. SUCKER

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shotbfr View Post
    i sometimes think i may be a slight bit retarded . but for some reason when i see someone selling something and asking for the buyer to use paypal as a payment service .. and then having the nerve to expect the buyer to add an extra 5% 6% or what ever to pay their fee's just realy ticks me off to no end .

if you dont want to pay the dang fee yourself do not use paypal .. its that easy

dang i dont understand why that ticks me off .. but it does .... to top it off i dont even use paypal
    Why worry about it if you don't use it? I personally buy things using Paypal, sell things using Paypal and live with the fact it cost me. I get my money right away when I sell something and I am protected somewhat when I purchase something.
    If you don't like it then don't use it...its really simple. No need to rant or open up a useless thread about what you don't like about Paypal. You said it yourself "to top it off i don't even use paypal. Just my .02

Paypal is the quickest and hopefully the safest way many overseas people can buy and pay with.

I always ask if they will take a personal check

I have always asked if the seller will take a personal check. I tell them they are welcome to hold the item for a week before shipping to make sure the check clears.
    In fact, I also tell them that I will email them an image of the check when it clears the bank (both sides of the check - that way they can see their signature on the back of the check to make sure I am not scamming them).
    I also tell them to check my feedback to make sure they are comfortable with the request.
    I am not in such a rush for the item that I can't wait another week for delivery. Never had a problem with anyone turning me down. I have bought a bunch of Hensley & Gibbs moulds on EBay that way. Bought a bunch of stuff here too.
    I avoid PayPal like the plague.

Boolit Grand Master
    So you are complaining about a policy that doesn't affect you?

I can think of tons of things in life that have no impact on me that drive me nuts but why? I ignore them, I don't have a dog in the fight so why care?

I have used PayPal. If asked to cover the fee it is my choice to decide if that is how I want to pay. Like someone else said, it is far easier to pay an extra 5 dollars than itis to drive to the PO, wait 20 minute sin line, then go home all to get a money order.

Heck, long as you are ranting, why not rant about individuals who won't take a personal check? Who are they to call me a cheat?

Guys, get a life.

Moderator Emeritus

Something i don't quite understand here, the guys telling 5shot to quit complaining and get a life, is someone forcing you to read this thread? What makes your opinion any more important than his?
    The way I see it, if you don't like what someone is saying, instead of trying to make them stop saying it, simply move on to another thread that you do like.
    As far as paypal goes, if you don't like it, simply don't use it.

This is a small symptom of a much larger problem, too many people think it's their right to tell others what they can and cannot do, say and think because it doesn't adhere to their own core beliefs.

Look at the anti gun crowd, they don't like guns, they don't want to own one and that's fine, but they also don't want YOU to own one and that's not fine. See where I'm heading with this?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD