RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Measure Recommendation

Powder Measure Recommendation

I'm in the hunt for a new powder measure (replacing my Lee ). I'm hoping to get +/- 0.2 grains accuracy for my 0.357 loads. Top candidates are:

1- Reading.
    2- Hornady LNL
    3- RCBS

They'd need to be equipped with a handgun drum to through and measure smaller charges of about 5 to 6 grains..

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is for use with a single-stage operation.

Thanks for your thoughts,

--Jeff

Don't think you could go wrong with any of those choices. Just have to decide which one is the most appealing to you. I have been very happy with my RCBS Uniflow, and my brother-in-law really likes his Hornady LnL. Never heard anyone complain about a Redding--other than price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    I'm in the hunt for a new powder measure (replacing my Lee ). I'm hoping to get +/- 0.2 grains accuracy for my 0.357 loads. Top candidates are:

1- Reading.
    2- Hornady LNL
    3- RCBS

They'd need to be equipped with a handgun drum to through and measure smaller charges of about 5 to 6 grains..

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is for use with a single-stage operation.

Thanks for your thoughts,

--Jeff
    What powder? Some measures are better with particular powders.

I'm pretty big on Universal Powder.

Boolit Buddy
    Any of those measures will give you the accuracy you are looking for or beat it with typical pistol powders. Actually it is not the brand of measure that determines accuracy as much as the operators consistency of techinque in using the measure.. No measure will give super acccuracy with long stick powders.

Le Loup Solitaire

Powder measure choice

As is always the case whoever makes a powder measure thinks that the one that they produce is the best that is or is the best that was ever made. Lyman, RCBS,Lee Hornady, Dillon and Redding all make excellent measures and they all work well. To be fair different measures work better with some powders than with others. Other factors come into the equation such as humidity, static electricity. whether or not you use a baffle, a knocker to settle the powder or how big or small the charge is that you are throwing. Some measures are more expensive than others; the Reddings go for major bucks, but that doesn't guarantee anything in itself. The Lyman 55 has an external knocker (good) and a drum that is adjustable with slides that can be varied in the depth or width (also good). It also has an outmoded thread that fits its old and no longer produced Tru-Line Jr. press so you have to buy an adapter that is 7/8x14 to fit anything modern. (dumb) Regardless of which one you decide on you must have a reliable, accurate and dependable scale to check what the measure is actually doing...regularly and often. And a set of weights to check on/keep your scale honest. The dispensing of powder is a most important step...and the one that will play a key role in your accuracy & safety so whatever you have to lay out in cost is well worth it. I don't subscribe to or use a fixed powder measure with changeable cavities of different sizes, but some people do and like them. I once tried the Lee system of discs with different size cavities and stacking them...it did not work out for me and I got tired of tapping the stacks with a pencil to get the charges right, but again some folks like them. So I wound up with 2 RCBS-Ohaus "Duo-Measures"...old, but good if you can find one and 3 RCBS's that are already 10 years old, but give good and dependable service. Regardless of what you decide on and use, do not leave any powder in the measure's reservoir; empty it after use...every time. LLS

Boolit Bub
    I love my Hornady LNL. I have it set at 4.5g for my 9mm. I reload once or twice a week and it always measures 4.5g faithfully.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS and the Lyman#55. If forced to only keep one, I believe the Lyman is the better of the two. For me, it has showned to be VERY accurate for small loads to large.
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

+1 on the above comments on the Lyman 55. It is of classic design and has been made in nearly the same form for decades. It is versatile and can be adjusted for light pistol loads up to magnum rifle loads with just the turn of a few screws. That is not to say that other makes and models are not fine also, but the Lyman 55 has nice features, holds a steady charge and is a bit less expensive than many of the others.
    NRA Life Member

U. S. Navy (Ret)

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    I`ve used one RCBS powder measure since 1981.A few years ago I picked up used Redding measure, the RCBS will never be used again.

Horace

Boolit Master
    The hornady is great but if you also plan to load rifle ammo with case capacity less then 30-06 I recommend buying Hornady's "bench rest" powder measure, and then buy the pistol rotor separately.

The pistol rotor will meet your charge accuracy requirement and then some but the regular rifle rotor is a bit too large for the small-medium rifle stuff, and definitely for pistol. It will do fine for plinking / hunting ammo but the "bench rest" rotor is better sized for that application. The catch is that the only way to get the bench rest rotor is to buy the whole powder measure. The other two rotors are available as accessory items, which is fine for you since you're looking to buy the whole powder measure.
    Last edited by Oreo; 10-04-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Boolit Master
    Unless you're willing to get a Neil Jones Custom Products or a Harrells, get the Redding.

TJ

Boolit Master
    For flake and Ball powder I use RCBS Uniflow.
    For extruded powders like H4895 ect. I use the LEE PPM
    Actually when you learn the code. The LEE PPM is more accurate than all the others.
    But you need to know the secret hand shake.

I started with a Lee PPM and used it for years without a problem aside from the fact that it just felt cheap. I upgraded to the RCBS Uniflow and I regret getting rid of the Lee PPM because up until that day I had never experienced cutting. I had to stop using extruded powder entirely as a result. Point being if you have the PPM now keep it for extruded powders. When it comes to ball powders the RCBS is great. It tends to cut flake powders a bit as well but not to the extend of extruded so it is still tolerable.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Redding which I have used for years. Can be set up for handgun or rifle. While it is nicely made it can get rough with the stick powders. Sometimes you are cutting individual granuels which requires additional force and throws off the consistency of operation. Since I don't load a high volume of rifle ammunition I set up the measure to get me into the ball park and weigh each load on a ballance beam to get it precisely where want it. I have never had to do this with pistol powder once it is set up.

Greg B.

Boolit Master
    Reading that scared the POOP out of me!
    They are using black powder in a Lee measure I am sure is intended for smokeless!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg B. View Post
    ....Since I don't load a high volume of rifle ammunition I set up the measure to get me into the ball park and weigh each load on a ballance beam to get it precisely where I want it....
    I'll second that.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Banned

I would recommend you get or make some powder dippers. If you are looking for .2 grain accuracy that will not be a problem. You can get the Lee Precision set or use old or new brass and twist or solder a wire handle. You can cut or grind them down to a custom load. Some people fill the bottom to get the custom volume. No moving parts and the safest way to load. My favorite part is that once you have your dipping technique down, you can put away the scale until you buy some new powder. Always check new powder to make sure it is what it says it is and see what your dipper is throwing. I hate using scales more than a couple few times a year.

Boolit Grand Master

I didn't read every post, but how does the weighing of black powder equate to smokeless powders of widly varing shapes (not a smart a$$ question, really just curious). I have three powder measures (one micro-adjustable and two fixed) and ball, flake, and "tiny logs" all meter differently.
    My Anchor is holding fast!