RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phobia...

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don't lead a barrel now and then it means you aren't pushing the envelope.

Lading is a learning tool. It isn't difficult to remove. It isn't harmful to the barrel. It does teach you what doesn't work in that gun.

The only real way to learn to shoot cast is simple. Cast some, load them, then shoot them. Obserrve what happens. Learn from it. Repeat often. After a few hundred pounds of lead you will have a good idea what does or doesn't work for you.

Keep your loads safe and nothing will be harmed. Leading is a tool that show what doesn't work. Without failure there can be no real leaning.

Boolit Grand Master
    Man, I remember the first time I leaded up a rifle barrel. "Oh, dear God, I've ruined my rifle!" Shaw. I posted about it and somebody got me outa' the ditch. I did like I was told and found out "I'll be dang! It works!"

I could teach a doctorate course on what I've learned here about it and what I've learned from my own mistakes. That translates to a LOOOOOT of mistakes!

I know one thing for sure and certain: There's a lot o' stuff I DON'T do any more on account of what I've learned. And it has definitely improved my shooting skills. Why, just the other day, I actually hit the paper!

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    And it has definitely improved my shooting skills. Why, just the other day, I actually hit the paper! [/B][/QUOTE]

Ya mean them knarly old lead thangs can akshully hit something?? Wow.

For every person who has "worried" or "lectured" me about the evils of lead, I simply ask them "How did our ancestors survive, hunting buffalo, shooting at bandits and so on without leading up their guns? If it worked back then surely it must work now........"

Casting and shooting lead is inexpensive, easy and fun. I actually pity the poor guy who thinks the world revolves around factory ammuniton. So, come join us!

Boolit Man
    Several years ago I purchased a "collectors" Winchester 94 from a Local gun store . He had not been able to sell it for several years in the rack . ( Cowboy Commemorative Model) I wanted it due to the OLD style carbine STYLE and the fact it had been un-fired and I wanted a gun STRICTLY for Cast bullets that had never had a J bullet through it . It still hasn't had a J bullet through it . Its my TAKE ALONG gun now for over 6 years . I pull it out when i'm up my place in the PA mountains and I usually shoot 2 to 3 shots every trip with it . Standing at about 98 yards with an 8 inch Steel "GONG" I can hit it 4 out of 5 times that way with ease EVERY TIME nothing but cast and NO LEADING . Its shooting the RCBS FP 180 gr GC bullet at about 1900 FPS. WAY easy to lead the barrel at that velocity but the fit is right and the lube is right and the pressure is right WAY more to leading than just FPS and softness . That's why I just bough the Rossi M92 in 357. It will NEVER have a J bullet through it from ME . Wont need it Wont lead either !