Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Patching 45-70s

In Remembrance
    Some people patch with wet paper and some patch dry.
    A dry patch can often be forced to spin on the bullet, but it will still do it's job in the bore.
    What Kurt (Lead pot) said should fix you up.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Well perhaps i should have waited a bit before i took them off and started over. I was useing a fairly stiff tracing paper and i think it just didn't feel right. I had a delivery yesterday and my Rooster came in it. Using lined notebook paper and a small dab of rooster i wrapped acouple dozen and left them to dry overnight. This morning they were dry and tight and better yet the correct size without needing to size them. Guess the gremlins don't like the Rooster. 24 down 476 to go. I guess i wont be bored when the rain starts.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I would caution you against patching to many of those, until you've had the chance to test fire and see if they'll shoot. It's really a pain to unwrap all those beautifully patched bullets and do something different with them..... Don't ask me how I know...lol
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

You must have been reading my mind I just mentioned the same thing in a PM to another fellow. I am going to load up the couple dozen i have and see how they do. I already unrapped 30 of them i would hate to unrap a couple hundred
    Thanks
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Master

You haven't had any fun until you disassemble a thousand or more.

Quote Originally Posted by mdevlin53 View Post
    You must have been reading my mind I just mentioned the same thing in a PM to another fellow. I am going to load up the couple dozen i have and see how they do. I already unrapped 30 of them i would hate to unrap a couple hundred
    Thanks
    Michael
    You better just patch one and see how it fits the chamber then patch a dozen to see how they shoot

ahhhhh yesssss...let the fun tumble! you are in for the ride of a lifetime. and a bonus is this...take a few of those patched rounds after you get them to shootin and yore rifle out in the boonies and start a bit of a fire and cook some coffee with your rifle standing near against a tree and as you sip the hot boiled coffee just finger those patched rounds and try to think what the ODG's [old dead guys] must have felt doing the same thing over 150 years ago...maybe in the same area of realestate. itll bogle yer brain if ya set there and ponder it fer a spell. dont even have to shoot the things...just set fer a spell and allow the good stuff to wash over ya.

whewww its moose seasson and i gotta go...see ya and have fun!

that is grand progress! nice looking target and im guessing it is a 100 yard target?

im a bit inquisitive tho with your coal and boolit final diameter. reading back i find you are shooting this in a roller...correct? you must have a very long throate to chamber such a loaded round with the diameter of the boolit and the length that is hanging outta the mouth. my rifles bore would not accept a .455 or .456 inch diameter patched slug. can you tell what your chamber is like or are you shooting a 45-70 [2.1 inch] case in a 45-90...[45..2.4 inch]...chamber? im curious as i can only get .450's to fit in the bore when i load my wrapped boolits out nearly that far.

a wonderfull target tho and im jealose and so the questions. my greesers will do that but havnt yet gotten my patched to do that well.

It's my 45-3¼ Sharps that I picked up from Wolfgang Droege back in `81. It took me almost two years to figure out that it did NOT like grooved & lubed bullets.

The paper-patched Ballard took another 6 months of playing to find the right paper.
    (Even tried $1 dollar bills at one point.)
    But when it clicked... it clicked.

well now that makes a difference for sure. my 45-120 is also an early one but a B rifle. i enjoy the heck outta mine as you do. i find that the 3 1/4 case length is great for my lube cookies as well. i also mised the 4759 duplex as well. i have used 3031 with great results but that is maybe for another thread. so does your 120 have a long throate or will your bore accept the .455 inch patched boolit? also is that a missprint about the [3] wraps on the boolit?

i guess that the drawing is not to scale with the length of boolit outside the case. that is what threw me.

Well, my PowerPoint artistry may leave a bit to bullet envy , but it's a fair length cartridge when all the dust settles.

It truly is three wraps of the Eaton #9 (0.002") onionskin, which when tightly wrapped dampened with saliva around the 0.446 Ballard and dried in a warm oven comes out 0.457/8-ish.

As far as throat leade goes, I finally (back in `84) took a very shallow angle Clymer reamer very gently to the throat to just barely knock off any sharp edges at engagement. As it is now, paper stays intact down the barrel and strips off immediately upon exit. Sometimes I'll pick up a full wrap (out of the three) intact/with residual rifling imprint on the ground 5-6 feet from the muzzle.
    Last edited by mehavey; 09-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    It truly is three wraps of the Eaton #9 (0.002") onionskin, which when tightly wrapped dampened with saliva around the 0.446 Ballard and dried in a warm oven comes out 0.457/8-ish.
    I have a new Brooks mould that came to me as a mistake, so I haven't used it.
    In 20-1 alloy, it throws a .450" bullet (with the elliptical nose).
    Using two wraps of your paper, you should get the same finished diameter, and not have the occasional complete inner wrap lying in front of the bench.

If interested, we can talk about it.

CM

Out of curiosity, which of these designs did you order...?
    http://www.brooksmoulds.com/bullets.php

Knowing what I know now, I would always cast paper-patch projos as soft as possible.
    Given that, the 0.450" (20-1) bullet might come down to 0.449-ish or so in pure lead.

http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

postscript: innerwrapperRgood Shows patch is staying intact from lands cutting
    and doesn't seem to have any effect on the bullet as it "unwraps" itself.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Out of curiosity, which of these designs did you order...?
    http://www.brooksmoulds.com/bullets.php
    Paper Patch ... third from the bottom.
    I ordered a straight-sided bullet, 1.450" long, with Dan Theodore's Money nose.
    I got a bullet with Brooks' elliptical nose.

It is 1.450" long, and weighs between 540 and 550 grains (don't remember, exactly).
    The order was for a mould that will cast at .450" using 20-1 alloy, and he made it right in that regard, too.
    It is also very round.
    In fact, if I open the sprue plate and wait a few moments with the mould inverted ... the bullet will begin to slide out through the top.
    If I grab it halfway out and spin it, I can't even feel the parting line go past the face junction.

It's a very good mould, and would meet your dimensional requirement while reducing the paper wraps to the normal 'two'.
    It just isn't the design I ordered ...

The difference between 20-1 and pure lead is so small, I doubt that you would see a full thousandth of decrease in diameter.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 09-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.

In Remembrance
    mehavey,
    Did you receive either of the two PM's I sent you?

CM