Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling Brass w/ Stainless Steel?

Boolit Bub

Tumbling Brass w/ Stainless Steel?

I have been out of metallic reloading for a year or two now (it's been a while) since 99.999% of the shooting I do is with my 12ga. It seems like tumbling with stainless steel media is the in thing now? Am I wrong?

Can anyone tell me what I need to do it?

Will it work with my vibratory tumbler?

Wouldn't the stainless steel damage the brass since brass is softer than the stainless?

How effective is stainless media vs. walnut shells?

How long does the stainless media last?

Boolit Mold
    I'm wet tumbling now with SS pins. It's pretty darned amazing. However it IS work. You have to drain it and then rinse it, otherwise they'll have a green tarnish.

It wont work with a vibratory tumbler. At least it didn't with mine, the brass floated to the top and it just made alot of noise.

The pins are so small that they just rub the tarnish and shmutz off the case, including the inside and the primer pockets.

I still tumble my stuff in walnut and nufinish after they're done and dry to get any residual tarnish off and to put the small coating of wax on them so they don't tarnish with handling.

Boolit Bub
    How long does the SS media last?

I use a home made rotary tumbler. Works like a charm. I use ss pins, dish liquid and a little lemishine. Cases come out looking like brand new ones. It is a little more work . You can get the pins from STM. look in the upper right hand corner of the forum.

LatheRunner

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich219 View Post
    How long does the SS media last?
    I've been using this method with the stainless media now for about a year. I sell a huge amount of altered brass here on the site and have done well over 120k with the same unit pins and all. I still have the original 5lbs of pins I started out with (I weighed them last month) but I do have a 2lb reserve bag for that just in case situation.

If I can do that many in a year and still have the same weight chances are good your kids will inherit what you started with.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Bub
    What size container would I need to do 1000 .223/5.56 at once?

I think I will start working on making my own rotary tumbler some time next week.

Boolit Buddy
    It depends on many factors.
    The way I went was buying a 25l barrel with wide aperture.
    http://www.plastic.co.nz/productimag...ums/4052_1.jpg
    DO not to forget to buy appropriate amount of media because 1000/223 are about 6kg so thing about that.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't imagine why one would want to do this. $25 of corncob with $3 worth of Nu Finish
    will last for years, makes the brass look better than new, cleans up in about
    2 hrs max and prevents tarnish for years.

Still a free country (but Obama is working on it) so have fun, but I sure can't see any
    reason to change.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    It is called progress therefore we are not throwing rocks but shooting from super modern plasma guns nowadays

Boolit Master

The pins will last a very long time, more likely you will lose them down the drain 1 or 2 at a time until you need more.

I have tried the stainless pin media using a Thumlers B and a Lortone.
    I love the results but hate the process of seperating, rinsing, and drying. I tried several ways to seperate the media and settled on a RCBS rotary seperator.

I have found however that corn cob and Nufinish gives me just as suitable results. Especially since when my brass is dry after sst cleaning, I drop them in my tumbler anyways for some Nufinish tarnish prevention. Which I am now glad I bought the rotary seperator!

For me, I'll clean my small amount of rifle brass in it since it does well with primer pockets and I can do it to remove case lube after sizing. Otherwise, all my pistol brass goes in the corn cob.

I will add however that sst pins will clean up tarnished old jacketed bullets!

To each his own.

Vendor Sponsor

both have their place.

Bill,,, I can tell you that brass cleaned with SS pins looks new inside and out!

Brass cleaned with cobs or walnut shells only does the outside of the case, pins do the inside and the primer pockets.

They do this simply by agitating the spooge already loosened by the soap and lemishine. I once found I could clean cases by soaking them in Lemishine and then using a Q-tip to agitate that already loosened spooge. This took way too much time. The pins do it much faster.

There is also a certain amount of 'burnishing" going on with the pins. This also happens to a lesser degree with cobbs however it is the cases impacting each other that do it with cobs. The pins are metal and have more of an effect than the lighter corn cobb media.

All that said: I only use the pins on batches of range rifle brass that I pick up that are super filthy. After they come out it is easy to see which ones are good and which ones are scrap.

Then I size and deprime and deal with swaging primer pockets and then tumble in Walnut shells and Dillon Case polish.

The results yeild factory like results.

This is just one more technique towards loading better ammo, and better ammo makes us better shooters.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

I think I will start working on making my own rotary tumbler some time next week.
    Sounds like you are interested in doing a larger (commercial) volume than most of us hobby reloaders. I think the model B tumbler sold by Thumler is 15 lb capacity (They make a larger one of 40 lb but way more expensive, like around $700). I believe they recommend just north of 200 .223 brass per load for the 15# using 5# of ss pins and one gal of water. So to do 1000 .223 you would need a tumbler 5X larger in volume. Sounds like making a custom setup would be the cheapest way for you to accomplish your goal.

In Remembrance
    If it were me and I wanted to do that many I would look for one of those little cement mixers.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master
    Prolonged tumbling with stainless steel pins (like overnight) will cause some damage to the case mouth - it will roll a lip into the case mouth, but it can be removed with a chamfer tool.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

If you want a max capacity extra heavy duty wet tumbler, google biggdawgtumbler. It looks like one mega-built unit. I wish I'd thought of that design.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Prolonged tumbling with stainless steel pins (like overnight) will cause some damage to the case mouth - it will roll a lip into the case mouth, but it can be removed with a chamfer tool.
    I haven't had this happen to me yet. I have accidentally left my tumbler going over night with no I'll effects. What type of brass?

It has a an initial cost more than corn cob, but is worth it's weight in gold. I will never go back to corn or walnut. Just not the same.

Btw, I know of a guy that uses a small concrete mixer with the five pounds of pins and gets excellent results. He does quite a bit more brass, than the two pounds recommended and he still gets great results.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    To Lackey and others with problems. I have used the SS pins for about 18 months now and if you are getting cases that are tarnished then you are doing it wrong.
    I also will tell Mt Gunn 44 that no tumbler with a vibratory action and walnut media will even come close to producing clean, shiney brass LIKE THE SSPINS!! It is clean inside the primer pockets( no using any pocket cleaning tool again) The inside is just as bright as the outside which can't be claimed by vibratory cleaners.
    I have been in this sport of shooting, casting and cleaning brass for several years starting in 1968.
    I worked as a Firearms instructor and Range officer for over 1200 men and tumbled over 100,000 cases a year. I have tried all the ways included the chemical style of cleaning, none of them touch the results as that produced by the correct tumbler and mix with the pins.
    I have purchased brass from Starline since they became known to me in the early 80's and the brass is not as shiney as mine after cleaning, even when brand new.
    If you use a high speed Thumblers tumbler model B with at least 5 pounds of the pins from STI along with just enough water to cover the contents about 1/2 inch. You then add either DAWN W/OXY or PalmoliveW/OXY. Just one good squirt will do. Then add about 1 teaspoon of Lemi-shine level not heaping. Close it up and let it clean for anywhere from 2-3 hours depending on the condition of the brass. I go 3 because of the Black Powder Residue.
    When you take the lid off you will find a very thick foam if you added the correct amount of soap.
    I pour mine off into a fine SS mesh colander from Walley World. You may have some pins fall through but don't panic as you may pick them up later. Let it drain for about 5 minutes and then take to a sink with spray hose. Spray the contents with water until all the run off is clear and not murkey. You will see brass that will blind you with it's brightness. It's a hard to believe sparkle. If you have only used media cleaning in the past you will not believe what you are seeing.
    After the rinising start picking your brass out by turning each one upside down to empty any pins inside.
    Lay the brass on a thick towel and dry with a hair dryer or place outside in the sun.
    If you have had any pins come through the colander or on the ground or sink, just use that large magnet you purchased at the Harbour Frieght near you. Set inside your container until next time.
    You will never use any other method, unless you are like some and still use a dial phone.
    Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Some good information and ideas here...........

http://biggdawgtumblers.com/5601.html

How do you pick up SS pins with a magnet? I thought SS was not magnetic?
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.