RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oldest piece of gear you use?

Boolit Buddy
    Don't use IT when hunting but the ladle I cast boolits with belonged to my grandfather. He and my Dad shot competetive handgun back in the 1960's. And cast their own boolits. Unfortunately I lost their moulds in the flood following K.

Boolit Master

I have an ancient Zippo lighter that was given to me by my Uncle Leo in 1957. He bought it new in Subic Bay PI when he was stationed there prior to WWII.

It still works and it is still in my right trousers/shorts pocket. It just keeps on plugging along.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Man
    I still shoot, regularly , ( at least a few times a year, and take it out for Fall turkey) my original 1889 Marlin in 38/40 ( Made in 1893 By serial number) I also hunt at least one day of deer a year in a pair of Woolrich pants I bought in 1973. Not to mention MY 63 yr old eyes also LOL

Boolit Buddy
    The oldest pistol I carry,once in a while, is a Colt 1860 Richards conversion. The pistol started life in 1871. The oldest shotgun I use is a double barreled cap gun from the 1850s. A lot of ducks have been dumped with it in my hands. The oldest rifle is a Remington rolling block from the late 1860s. I do not shot these guns a lot but I have a rule, if I own them I have to shoot them.
    Steve

i have a 303 martini henry carbine that is still usable. pre 1900. my own purchased new in 1968 was a#358429 lyman 358 semi wadcutter h-point mold. still have and still cast!
    hollow-point .......... member in south australia ...............THE MAN WHO NEVER MADE A MISTAKE NEVER MADE ANYTHING!!!! mature age is a privilige granted to but few!

Boolit Master
    The oldest piece of gear I carry is the Case sheath knife I inherited from my dad, lotsa' memories there!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

kentucky rifle,converted to musket cap.shoot good ,110 yards at a deer when i whas 12.
    my dad and i pass true the border at vermont,the canadian border patrol serch the car and
    let us keep it.
    i stil use it for target and black powder deer saison

Boolit Master
    Oldest piece of gear I use is me.
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

1893 Marlin

Boolit Master

I think it's safe to say the oldest piece of gear I'll be carrying when I hunt this fall will be my rifle -- 1943 Mosin Nagant. That is, unless I take my favorite folding camera with me; it's a 1927 Voigtländer.

Boolit Man
    Well, I have a Mosin Nagant M44 from 1945, a pistol belt and canteen from 1942. And a 45/70 bullet fired from a Gatling Gun post Civil War. I found it outside an old fort. I had it in my pocket on a couple of impossible shots, so it's kinda become a lucky bullet for me.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I've a dollar an a half checker call that my grandfather carried every day comprised of a 1921 half and a 1917 dollar. Next would be 1958 200 Coleman lantern and the 25OT circa 1968 both were my folks . Good memories there.

Guns include the 1934-5 Model 14 Remmy I took hog hunting last or and my grandfathers 1947 S&W 38. I've a 1908 Mauser I will pass on to my granddaughter to hunt w/,now that I have a load for it. There's a cast iron frying pan that belonged to my great grandmother also but I have no knowledge of when or where.

3 fishing rods, 2 9' Grangers fly rods from 1936 and a little creek rod that is older than that, they were my great and grandfathers. I've quite a bit of their stuff.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

When I carry it I guess it would have to be an 1886, then Type 38 6.5X257, 1903 or 1917.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I don't think I use any 'gear' that's very old unless you count guns, in which case either my Dad's Winchester 37 12 gauge shotgun or 67A .22 is probably the oldest one I've ever actually taken afield. I'm not sure which one is older since neither is serial numbered.

My fly rod was a gift from my Grandfather in the early 70's and I'm not certain it was new at the time. I'm still using some of his old tackle boxes that were probably made in the 50's but I doubt that fits the intent of this thread.

I just thought of one: I still use his old Coleman single mantle lantern. It's old enough that it was painted red, not the green that we're all familiar with.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

My 1917 Colt 1911 civilian issue 45 ACP is my home (and on the road) defensive weapon of choice.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy

MY ****, It goes everywhere I go.. When hunting I use it extensivly, I do the same when fishing. It's been with me all through school, riding the 'big' waves, down the aisle as a single guy & back out as a married man everywhere I went as a Baltimore Cop. Now as a retiree, i t's used a He** of a lot..... STILL, IT'S WITH ME!!!!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUNS..

[COLOR="#FF0000"]MANY YEARS AGO I GAVE AN OATH TO DEFEND OUR CONSTITUTION FROM
    A-L-L TRAITORS, BOTH FOREIGN & DOMESTIC NOW, AT 78, I'M READY AGAIN TO ANSWER THE CALL.
    COLOR]

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    My Winchester 1895 in 35 Winchester. Built in 1904. A Little heavy, but an excellant rifle in an excellant cartridge. I had Mountain Moulds make a mould for a 210gr RFN GC which I fill with 50/50 WW and pure + 5% tin. I haven't connected with anything yet but I recently took it Caribou hunting in Canada where they wouldn't let me hunt with a handgun. The alloy is great as I did shoot a nice black Bear in upper Quebec with my 45-70 levergun. If I can't use a handgun, I go primitive with my leverguns :>)
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As far as gear goes, my ancient military rucksack is the oldest thing I carry with me. I think its Vietnam era. As far as guns are concerned my early 60's Marlin Glenfield 30 is the oldest one I use for hunting.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Grandpa's model 52 from 1931, I had to locate a ladder sight for it won it on ebay on Christmass Eve a couple years back. It is a tack driver. It goes to the squirrel woods, next is the stevens 410-22 1940's my kids take it for squirrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by onesonek View Post
    A knife of my great grandfather's.
    If you going to show a photo of a neat looking knife like this you can at least give us the story that comes with it. I mean this one just has to have an interesting history.

gary