WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Browning 1885 bpcr

Boolit Grand Master

Browning 1885 bpcr

Have one on the way, in 45-70. It is one of the Badger barreled BPCR rifles. Guy never shot black powder thru it, only factory jacketed rounds.

If anyone here has one, can you give me a hint of what loads, smokeless and black powder, you rifle likes, and what boolits?

Thanks

Boolit Master

Talking

You will want to check out this site. He is a member here, great person to talk to.

http://www.texas-mac.com/index.html

Boolit Bub
    Well for my hunting load, I load Hornady FTX 325gr and 43gr of IMR 4198 in a starline case with a CCI LR primer. I shoot that out of my 85 C Sharps 30" badger barrel, it shoots very well up to 200 yards.

what i can say from experience with my browning BPCR with the 30 inch badger with the 18 inch twist and the fine wood to metal and nice figured wood is this...

i had a time finding a loading tecknike to reap some semblance of accuracy.finally listened to advise and loaded a lyman #457125 boolit lubed with my lube and a .220 inch cookie behind it and loaded it out to engrave the first band of the boolit and with 69 grains of GOEX cartridge powder sparked with a cci 200 large rifle primer. this load will group inside a 1.5 inch group with consistancy. andother boolit i use is the baco 45-500 in .460 diameter which seems to fill the throat and do equally with the lyman in accuracy...advantage with the baco mould boolit is that all thats required for loading the case is to flair the mouth and load em without working the brass by sizing it.

it has become a favorite rifle and i had some mounts made from weaver blocks to fit so i can mount my leopold scope so these old eyes can see accuratly and allow me to shoot accuratly.

these are very well built rifles and are super fun to shoot. buy the texasmac book and devour it thru n thru for detailed info on your fine rifle...have a ball with it.

oh and another hint...scrub with a good cleaner excesivly for a couple cleanings before shooting blackpowder n cast thru it so you can remove as much of the jacketed fouling as possible as it will make life miserable till it is all gone. i use shooters choice and follow with butch's bore shine and tons of patchs and lots of elbo greese.

also to really shine the barrel try some paperpatched boolits as they will slick a bore better and faster then anything else going.

Boolit Master
    I have one of those critters. My light load for paper is 29 grains of 4198 and a 420 grain boolit out of one of Tom's (Accurate molds) 3-banger mold AM461425B.
    ph4570

Boolit Bub
    i have a winchester bpcr ive been shooting for a couple years, i have found they shoot better with heavier boolits, i shoot 450 gr rnfp and 520 gr postel over 66 gr 1.5 swiss or 68-70 gr 2f goex boolit seated to touch the lands when chambered

Boolit Buddy
    Mine likes 66.0grs. Swiss 1.5 with 530gr. RCBS , W-W brass, and CCI BR2 primer The smokeless load likes 500 Gr. RCBS B-P Bullet and 24 to 26 Gr. 5744

Boolit Buddy
    525gr Postell (wheel weights, but don't tell-) over 69 gr of Goex Cartridge and a plastic "wad". Compresses to get a light crimp (more blasphemy, I think). Experimentation with these bp cartridge rifles is unending......