Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
MCD ProductsRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a Quick-Measure on a Progressive Press

Boolit Bub
    Cool post.

Still deciding between a Chargemaster and found this thread from searching the word QM.

It looks like the dispenser itself has the one washer/flange, and the second one is the drop tube that determines the volume?

Would like to know how the drop tubes attach and how the powder drops from the tube into the case/ dropper tube in your dillon setup.

I have a bunch of ~ 10 grain to 20 grain cases ( hornet and fireball) and want to expedite and have accurate charges for vermin elimination, ie volume)

Thank you

Allen

Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to put the post together. Nice photos.

regards,

Boolit Master

It looks like the dispenser itself has the one washer/flange, and the second one is the drop tube that determines the volume?
    Yes, the bottom tube is removable and cut for specific ranges of powders. The set screw moves the tube in and out of the larger tube, which changes the volume within that range. The minimum size tube is cut for 6gr.

Would like to know how the drop tubes attach and how the powder drops from the tube into the case/ dropper tube in your dillon setup.
    The tubes are formed just slightly smaller than the one they fit into. The tubes are held in-place by friction.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

I didn't see the second part of your question. Look at message-1, photo-5.

The answer is when you raise the ram w/ a case on it, the case mouth contacts the bottom of the black nylon funnel. As you continue to raise the ram, that whole nylon and brass assembly raises until the brass nipple (more visible in photos 2-4) at the top contacts and seals the hole on the bottom of the drop tube. Raising the ram to the top of the stroke also pushes the spring-loaded drop tube assembly up until the powder measure opens and drops enough powder into the assembly to fill it. Then, lowering the ram slightly takes pressure off the measure and the hole seals shut, and the nipple moves away from the drop tube, which opens the hole and the powder falls into the case.

It sounds complicated, but in reality, it is:

1. Raise the ram to dump powder into the tube until filled w/ a pre-set amount of powder.
    2. Lower the ram to fill the case.

It is very simple to operate. The learning curve involved is timing the lowering of the ram to allow all the powder to fill the case. The smaller the caliber, the longer you must pause.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Nice write up and pics Kevin!

I've got a question for you, and I apologize if I get the terminology mixed up. The part of the measure that determines powder volume (drop tube?) appears easily removed. Could one adjust it to drop a charge, and then record the length of the tube using a caliper for easy repeatability in the future? Otherwise it appears one would just take a swag at the length they need, weigh the charge, disassemble, adjust, repeat. That might get old.

I hope my question is understandable.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

The part of the measure that determines powder volume (drop tube?) appears easily removed.
    Since it is held in by friction alone, to remove it, just pull it out of the assembly.

Could one adjust it to drop a charge, and then record the length of the tube using a caliper for easy repeatability in the future? Otherwise it appears one would just take a swag at the length they need, weigh the charge, disassemble, adjust, repeat. That might get old.
    I suppost that is possible. The system is designed so that if you load multiple calibers or loads within a caliber, you merely buy more drop tubes. Set one for a particular charge, wrap a small rubber band (provided) around the set screw to lock it in position, and remove for later use.

Here are the tubes I bought at $5.50 each, located at the top of the board and two that are labeled for charges:

As far as setting the charge, you place the appropriate drop tube in the assembly based on a comprehensive chart Qm provides based on both the powder and weight range. Then use your fingers or a hex wrench to adjust the screw until you get your desired charge. There is no need to remove the drop tube to make adjustments.

If you are going to use the measure off a progressive press, then it looks like this. That reservoir is the default size, and is 5-6" tall:

And you can buy these really well-made brass funnels with the removable inserts below, which have different caliber openings. The pink plastic ones at the right are what comes with your measure. They work fine, perhaps better as they have a lip to grab onto, but are not as kewl looking.

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 08-18-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Boolit Master

Thank you! If I got one, I would be using it on a progressive press.

So what are the items labeled on the bottom of your drop tube board? They look different than the others. It's really hard for me to visualize for some reason. I've used the Lee and Hornady powder measures and they aren't anything like this.

Do you have any problems with changes in charge weight as you use powder from the reservoir?

-edit- I re-read the information on the QM website and NOW I see how it prevents drifting powder charges. Very cool. As a side note, the drop tubes are now $8, with the smallest being $10 for some reason. That could get pricey.
    Last edited by Fishman; 08-18-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Boolit Master

So what are the items labeled on the bottom of your drop tube board?
    They are B&M drop tubes, which I believe the QM is based on.

Do you have any problems with changes in charge weight as you use powder from the reservoir?
    No, once the set screw is locked in place with the rubber band or a piece of tape, it doesn't move. The drop tube also stays in-place as you are exerting upward force on it when cycling the shell-holder, which keeps the entire assembly to its proper length and charge weight.

Boolit Bub
    Great information.

Too bad the unit is so expensive, with all the drop tubes added up, it looks like an expensive option but probably a lifetime investment close to an electronic unit that may last 2 years.

Anyone have a used one for sale... I need to do something for the 17 AH, 17 FB's and other small caliber, high volume rounds for my son and I vermin shooting.

Allen

Boolit Master

The QM is one of those measures that never gets sold, just like the B&M and the Harrell.

Boolit Master

I am still looking closely at this. I found a review with comprehensive test data here:

http://home.comcast.net/~davidawilso...Measure/QM.htm

Hopefully this will add to an already excellent thread.

Boolit Master

Kevin, I have another question. When the powder measure is activated, is there any way to visually verify that powder has dropped into the case? That would be a nice feature and an important safety check for bottleneck cases. Verifying powder charge is one of the reasons I haven't been to thrilled about loading bottleneck cases on my progressive.

Boolit Master

When the powder measure is activated, is there any way to visually verify that powder has dropped into the case?
    Look at message #1, photos 2-5. You will see a round clear plastic shield. When you start the downstroke, that brass nipple moves away from the bottom of the drop tube. The powder then flows out of the tube, past that nipple, and into the case. Because of that shield, you SEE the powder go into the casing.

When the QM is used as a standalone measure, there is no shield. But you still see the powder drop out of the tube and into the funnel and casing, like any other measure that uses a funnel.

Boolit Master

I see now. I am going to get me one of these to run on my Hornady progressive. Hopefully next month.

Boolit Master

Well after selling a bunch of goodies out of my reloading room, I finally got enough scratch together to order a Quick Measure this morning! Tim was very helpful and answered any and all of my questions to my complete satisfaction. According to him, he has all of the common parts in stock and most of the uncommon ones as well and generally ships the next day. He needed to make me a small charge funnel (AA) before shipping out but he indicated it would be out the door tomorrow. With any luck, my Hornady progressive will be sporting a new accessory the middle of next week! I'll post my experiences on setting it up and anything I think might add to Kevin's excellent thread once it's here.

Can't wait!

May Liberty Increase!
    I realize thread resurrection is generally frowned upon by some, but it makes more sense to me to have information regarding the same topic in the same thread. So, here goes:

I bought the Quick Measure (QM) based on the few reviews of it I could find. I've been reloading 308 and 223 on the Hornady LNL AP just fine with the Hornady measure, as long as the powder was a ball or flake powder. CFE-223 filled that role, until the recent craziness when I couldn't find it. I still have a good supply of extruded powders for those calibers, so I was in search of a measure that would dispense them accurately. I've got a Hornady Auto Charge. It works ok, but isn't fast enough to bother with the progressive press, in my opinion.

I ordered the QM Friday before Christmas and received it within a few days. Tim at JDS was pleasant on the phone. I explained the range of charges I'd be doing for cases ranging from 223 to 300 RUM and he added the necessary drop tubes for the various ranges. I upgraded to the brass powder funnel with several caliber inserts and also got the progressive press adapter. I had the powder hopper made 10-in long for increased capacity. The total bill was just shy of $500.

Everything was nicely packed when I received it. There was a quality control inspection sheet inside the QM powder hopper stating the unit had passed inspection.

The consistency of the QM I received was measured in grains, not tenths. It was all over the place. I put ball powder in it, after getting disgusted with the consistency of the extruded powders, just to see if it could throw that consistently. The ball powder was free flowing out the measure, the measure wasn't sealing off! What a mess that made. I emailed Tim about the problem and he requested I return it for inspection. Sure enough, there was an issue with the measure and he replaced it. I had a new one within a week.

I admit to being a little jaded and very disappointed from the first impression, but I set it all up and did more trial runs with it. I used it hand held and mounted to the progressive press. In either scenario, I was throwing 20 charges into cases (223 or 308) and then measuring each. The second QM had much better weight consistency than the first, but it still doesn't do what I expected considering the purchase price. I spent time repeating the tests while altering the speed I was operating the press or measure, and I did see some fluctuation that was method dependent. Slower press strokes with deliberate pauses seem to work better. I can get +0.1 grain consistency with IMR4198 and +0.2 grain with IMR4895. H4831SC, H1000, and IMR4831 are well above the advertised +0.2 grain and, in my opinion, not worth using with this measure. It seems to do better with longer and thinner kernels than short or fat. I realize some of those powders are not suitable for 223 and/or 308, but I was just testing consistency with various powders, not a specific load. The QM was very consistent with ball and flake powders, but I already had measures that were and it isn't any better than those in that respect.

Overall, I wish I'd spent the money elsewhere. The QM will work acceptably with specific extruded powders, but I expected more for the price. It certainly wont be used with H1000 loads in the 300 RUM or H4831SC in 270 Win. While slower, the Auto Charge is more precise and will likely be used more on my bench.

If you are going to buy a QM, I'd suggest not getting it setup to do all of your rifle calibers initially just to keep the entry cost as low as possible. I now have parts I'll never use, since the powder required for those charge weights isn't consistent enough to suit me. Sometimes, that's how it works out.

Boolit Master

I'll buy any parts you don't want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    I'll buy any parts you don't want.
    That's better than a manufacturer's guarantee. A satisfied customer wants to buy you out!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

May Liberty Increase!
    $477 and you can have the whole thing.