Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: project gun need help

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Heck I'll do the lathe work for you. Dave Kiff at pacific Precision is the guy to talk to on the reamer, he is fast, good, and wildcats don't cost extra. his standard reamer runs $135.00 but that comes with a live changeable pilot.

The first thing I would do when fitting a bbl to a savage is throw away the bbl nut, it is not needed or wanted by a man that knows how to run a reamer, if you do it right you can get headspace to the .001"

we do not need a headspace gauge, we can use a ctg. case for one...I prefer to fit them snug to the brass then surface grind .002 off a shellholder to bump the shoulder.

I also have a fine 308 bbl gathering dust here, it came with a 700 rem action I bought, it is 20" or so long, stainless steel, unknown maker but nicely button rifled, and about the same contour as a remington varmint special, it is 1-12 or 1-14 twist.....it is a real nice bbl and would have plenty of shank to fit to your rifle. $50.00 for the bbl and to fit and chamber it is all I would want. This bbl belonged to VirgiL King the Houston Warehouse researcher of benchrest fame...he had it setup for a hunter BR rifle. I ended up with the 700 action and it is now a 22-250AI.

and I know MROliver77 would go in with you on the purchase price of a 30 caliber reamer, he is wanting to do a custom cast boolit bbl for his New England single shot. You guys both have the same general idea of a ctg. in mind. and you both want a throat for cast bullets.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Wouldn't a 32 be more fun? Your machine work, Bill, will be exquisite, and your approach is the only correct approach after we have the brass. Can we talk Oliver into a 32 instead? I think the "final" satisfaction of having the round would be much more appreciated. Much easier to find loads for, for example, especially with 16 twist. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Well Oliver has an 8mm or two I think.................

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Grand Master

Bullshop; Seems like the old thread was 1.065"x20 tpi, when the new short mags came out Savage upped their shank dia to 1.115" for this fat little case.
    Scooter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler
    Bullshop; Seems like the old thread was 1.065"x20 tpi, when the new short mags came out Savage upped their shank dia to 1.115" for this fat little case.
    Scooter
    Swheeler
    Midway had a sell out on some Savage barrels last month for $90.00. Got one in heavy SS 308 Win and it is looking perty good. So are you saying the new receivers will not accept the old barrels?
    BIC/BS

If you want to punch an edible hole in a turkey, how about reboring to .44 Automag or .45 Winchester mag?

anachronism
    Check out Mike Bellms website. He mainly does work on Contenders and Encores, but has a lot of common sense wildcats such as the .308 & .356 Bellm. these are necked down .444 Marlin cases, left at full length, but sized with .308 & .358 Winchester cases. This gives you a longer neck, which is a distinct advantage for cast bullets.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/

What about .458 SOCOM?

.473 head size, .458 bore so a profusion of good molds, cartridge tops out at less than 1500 for a five hundred grainer so it would be almost ideal for shooting cast...

The downside? The brass isn't in 06 country for price(about $265 for five hundred) and dies would probably be at least $60...

Still, it would be wild with that Lyman postell mold....

HTRN
    There's nothing scarier than a Machinist with a warped imagination!

Boolit Grand Master

Bullshop: I believe what Midway was selling off was the 1.065 dia. barrels that have been replaced, same reason Savage doesn't want to rebarrel, they are all set up for the new size shank. Measure the major dia of the one you got, if it is 1.065 then it will fit your M12(unless someone recut the threads in the reciever) the factory recoil lug and lock nut are not very expensive. Shaw rebarreled Savages without the locknut for years- rem 700 style- no other changes to reciever. LOL
    Scooter

Banner Sponsor

Here's an idea. How about 375 win? Rimmed case for positive head space. Straight case for as long of a neck as you want. factory dies and brass. If 375 isn't availible, then 30-30 is. You may need a custom reamer to get the throat and lead the correct dimensions.

Or a 357 Herrett?

Boolit Mold

Re barrel it

BS Jr, I don't have much to add to the choice of barrels. There are a LOT of pros and cons. What ever you decide on, I can stuff the barrel in it for you. Now for the next round, do you go with just a bull barrel? Or put a break on it? A bull noes break, Or a big boxer Etc........

What ever you do, barrels are my thing. I don't like plan Jane any thing and there is just to much you can do to sexy up a barrel to just let it go.

While we are bantering about, I have an old M95 Styer 8x56R I got from my dead uncle. I was thinking about building a 458 [AGAIN!!!] for it. Any input?

I like the bolt and receiver on the Styer but all the other stuff NEEDS to go into the trash! Sooooo, A sexy stock with a bull barrel and bull nose break, a twin set trigger, [more] recoil compensator and built in rest comes to mind to start with. I am thinking .5" at 100 yards with ease.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior
    ....once we have a reamer....
    On Target Technologies can chamber that barrel WITHOUT the expense of a reamer. He has built some savage barrels already so he is familiar with their requirements. He can be reached via email or phone at http://www.ottllc.com/ .

I will also add that i am currently playing with the BR's and they are an excellent case. I am usign the "el cheapo" Rem brass and my 22br is amazingly accurate. I am shooting cast boolits outta my 7br, accuracy is much better than my eyes and the iron sights prove. Fun cartridge!

HTH,
    Last edited by Magnum Mike; 07-15-2005 at 12:25 PM.
    mike

NRA Life Member

Specialty Pistols Bulletin Board - http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    OK, Mike, now we are getting somewhere! A guy who really knows his EDM machine is worth his weight in gold in the gun trade. This really means you can select a case design, make a bunch of them from existing cases, neck turned, with boolit seated and mail the "loaded" rounds in for a barrel AND dies to be made. The CAT'S MEOW! ... felix
    felix

Thumbs up

I have several encore and contender complete barrels and rechambered barrels made by OTT and the quality is second to no one! His chambering/rechambering method allows YOU to decide on clearances and throat lengths, etc... and no lousy reamer to limit you design!

I like your 32BR idea for this barrel, VERY unique and the BR case is an excellent platform to start from. Inasmuch as most dont care for the Rem BR brass, i have had good luck with it thus far. Personally, i would use a set of 7BR dies (read that as "COST EFFECTIVE", LOL, Hornady's are $33 at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=474048 ) as the basis for this project and have Mike (OTT) open them up for your 32. That would help keep costs down!
    mike

NRA Life Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop
    ...Midway had a sell out on some Savage barrels last month for $90.00. Got one in heavy SS 308 Win...
    If it turns out that you cant use that barrel, let me know, it might be something that i am interested in....
    mike

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Mike
    I have several encore and contender complete barrels and rechambered barrels made by OTT and the quality is second to no one! His chambering/rechambering method allows YOU to decide on clearances and throat lengths, etc... and no lousy reamer to limit you design!

I like your 32BR idea for this barrel, VERY unique and the BR case is an excellent platform to start from. Inasmuch as most dont care for the Rem BR brass, i have had good luck with it thus far. Personally, i would use a set of 7BR dies (read that as "COST EFFECTIVE", LOL, Hornady's are $33 at Midway http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=474048 ) as the basis for this project and have Mike (OTT) open them up for your 32. That would help keep costs down!
    That sounds very interesting and I already have a set of 7mm BR dies. The cheap 308 barrel is working out very well, guess the luck of the draw was with me. I realy like the switch barrel capability of the Savage and have to thank Bass Akwards for pointing it out to me. Would like to utilise the 32 cal barrel I have but will have to sit on it for awhile as this past week saw two irreguler perchases of a new clothes washer for BS Mom and a tracter for me. It was our 15th wedding aniversery.
    BIC/BS