Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: bdl stainless 7stw does a hat trick

Banned

bdl stainless 7stw does a hat trick

took the rem 700 in 7stw out crop damage shooting for the first time last night. Had a group of 4 deer come in at about 600 yards. A bit to far for my shaky rest so i was patient. they finaly came in to about 440 by my rangefinder and I shot the first one. it dropped in its tracks and the other 3 came running toward me believe it or not and stopped at 350. I then shot the next biggest doe and it dropped. Again they came running another 50 yards toward me and i dropped the next one in its tracks. Could have shot the 4th too but it was a bit small. Load was a 150 nos bt and max velocity. All three were shot right behind the front shoulder and all dropped in there tracks. not a bad showing for its first trip to the field.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to do the same thing with my damage permits. I have shot deer with rifles ranging from 233 to 416mag. Great rifle/bullet combo. What glass are you running?

Nice shooting! I was going to ask what you were planning to take with you last night.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Banned

you should have came over today. You probably would have left with a whole deer instead of a hind quarter. After butcher two the third one is just back breaking work and i would have gladdly sent it home with you!! taking a day off today to let my back heal a bit.

Makes me wish I lived closer. I'd be over to help you butcher.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

Good for you,,cherish that taste of venison.Up here in maine,we have no deer left. A doe here,a doe there. Bucks are pretty much gone,,very sad situation.

Couple the states mis-management,with the forest cutting practises,and include a couple of severe winters,and we end up with no deer.

Banned

we arent really stepin over them around our camp either. theres deer but its been better. Around these farms though its about amazing how many deer you see. If I would have been smart back when i was still working i would have bought some land or a camp next to the farm but the pocket book sure wont allow it now.

Banned

Neat story, Lloyd. You made me miss one of my old guns, though! I had a Savage in 7 STW, and ended up selling it to buy Christmas presents a few years ago when the economy got so bad.

That thing was a laser beam! I had the only Zeis scope I have ever owned on it.
    Last edited by frankenfab; 08-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an Encore ProHunter with 28" barrel in 7mm Rem Mag. Velocity is almost 3,300 fps with the same bullet you used Loyd.
    I agree that they drop game in their tracks. This pretty much happens even with 500 pound cow elk.

I sure miss deer hunting back in Michigan. Not that many deer here in Az but there are sure alot of deer hunters.

Banned

two more with it last night. Both of them DRT

Banned

Ive got a new ruger 77 in 7mag that will probaly go out tonight with me. Its shooting the same bullet. Both guns did there best with the same bullet.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadman View Post
    I have an Encore ProHunter with 28" barrel in 7mm Rem Mag. Velocity is almost 3,300 fps with the same bullet you used Loyd.
    I agree that they drop game in their tracks. This pretty much happens even with 500 pound cow elk.

I sure miss deer hunting back in Michigan. Not that many deer here in Az but there are sure alot of deer hunters.

Boolit Master

I have a 7mag with a 26 inch Shilen barrel , I had the same results from 200 to 386 yards with the Nosler 150 gr BT @3100 fps