• 158 RNFP

181 74.79%
  • 158 SWC GC

46 19.01%
  • 140 SWC

15 6.20%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Best LEE mold for ROSSI '92 .357mag

The Lee 358-125-RF is a nice shooter. Over 5.4 Unique for light loads, 13.5 and 15.5 of 2400 looks promising too. I tried some plain-base gas checks, on paper the 15.5 load should be pusing 1,900 FPS. Loaded long (1.597-1.60 OAL) and crimped below the crimp band. It does best with the custom Lee rifle FCD (the collet one, not the pistol FCD).

Anyone else try this one out?
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master

I use a similar load with the Lee125 of 5.3/231 that runs close to 1200 fps. That load and bullet to date are the most accurate out of the Rossi's for me. For magnum loads as previously posted I use 358429 over a max load of 820/296. That is accurate in all my .357's both rifles and pistols. So much so that I have not pushed any of the other designs at mag velocities. I have enough trouble keeping track of sight settings just moving between the loads that I use now!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

+1 on the sight settings. The 125 is the most accurate for me so far too. I was going to try the Lee 105 SWC. But that meplat is so amall that fits into a primer pocket, so it doesn't seem save under heavy recoil, in the magazine. Basically, just too pointy.

I put on a Marble's Bullseye rear sight. The 20" round SS Rossi I just picked up (357 mag) came from the facotory with a brass bead front sight. It's worked out very well.
    Last edited by 357shooter; 03-27-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Bub
    My Rossi won't feed anything reliably, so I use it as a single shot. Mostly at 25 yards indoors, so 38 spl velocities; occasionally at 100 yards outdoors.

Because I'm not using the magazine, I can use the Lee 158 round nose tumble lube; off the bench at 25 yards, 10 shot group, that's a guaranteed single ragged hole. Lately, though, I've been loading with Lee 125 grain RNFP. If it's less accurate than the 158 RN, I'm not a good enough shot, even off a bench rest, to tell the difference.

Have also tried the Lyman 158 SWC. Accuracy is acceptable but not as good as either of the Lees.

I've used both 38 and 357 cases. Makes no difference to accuracy.

I use 4 grains Bullseye for everything. The 158 RN holds up pretty well at 100 yards; the 125 goes a little haywire at that sort of range. I shoot the Rossi outdoors so rarely, I can't be fussed to work up a high velocity 100 yard load.

The best thing you can do with a Rossi, IMHO, is put decent sights on it. I've got a Creedmore type tang rearsight and a Pedersoli tunnel foresight on mine. Groups tightened up like a collet as soon as I started using proper sights.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Part of it depends on the velocity you want to run at. I have 2 Rossi's in .357, both will shoot the RNFP into 1-2" 50 yd groups @ 1150 fps (my normal .38 spl pistol load) and they won't stay on a 2'X4' target backer at 100 yds! The ones that do hit the backer are usually tumbling. The 30" twist has a hand in this IMO. I have not worked at higher velocities because I use the Lyman Keith for my magnum loads and it does well in the 1500-1600 fps range at 100-200 yds. The Lee 158 TL SWC does well in the lower velocity ranges and is very accurate to 200 yds. It all depends where you want to play, 50 yds and under I don't think it matters much. The most accurate long range boolit to date out of both my Rossi's has been the RCBS 9MM 124 gr CN followed VERY closely by the Lee 120 TC. Both will hold very close to 3 MOA out to 200 yds. If RNFP's are what float your boat I'd be more inclined to do the 125 gr. version.
    Strange, I am shooting the LEE 158 rnfp ahead of 6 gr Unique at 100 yards and mine shoot fine. Not great but sure are not tumbling.
    I am having issues with the heavier boolits 180 gr are tumbling on me no matter what I push them with.

Boolit Master

Strange, I am shooting the LEE 158 rnfp ahead of 6 gr Unique at 100 yards and mine shoot fine. Not great but sure are not tumbling.
    That does not surprise me at all. I had stated in my post that they tumbled at .38 spl level loads which is 1100-1150 fps out of the rifle. Your 6 gr load of Unique I would guess is more like 1250-1300 fps out of a rifle which may be fast enough to keep it point on at 100 yds. I don't know for sure as I never went there with the 158 RNFP. They accuracy champ (for plinking and target work) in both my Rossi's is the Lee 125 RNFP at about 1200 fps. It will average 3MOA or less at 100 yds and hold that level of accuracy out to 200 yds which is the farthest I've shot it. For magnum work as I've previously stated a max load of 296 behind the Lyman 358429 (Keith) 173 gr comes very close to the 125 rnfp in accuracy and that also does well to 200.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Hey guys.
    I have been spending some time with my Rossi. I found about the same as every one else.
    I am shooting the LEE 158 gr RNFP out of 38 special cases and 357 mag cases.
    I tried 5 gr Unique and 6 gr Herco in the 38 special cases. Interesting that I found these shot really well at 50 yards.
    I tried 6 gr Unique and 7 gr Herco in the 357. I did notice with both these loads the Herco loads shot better.
    I liked what I saw with that test. The thing is with Herco you can eek out an extra 100 fps for the same pressure loads. Might help with that 1 in 30 inch twist. You do need to up the loading by a grain to get it. But at 6 gr of Unique your pretty much in Max territory. At least I wont go higher.

Then i tried some Lyman 358456 SWC ( i think thats what they are) Gas checked.
    Ahead of the Herco load and the Unique. These shot like ****. Literally strung from bottom left to top right at 50 yards.
    Yikes and I just cast up about 500 of them.
    Saved by 2400, I had some loaded ahead of 13.5 gr of 2400 these shot very very well.
    Strange I guess that Boolit needs to be pushed hard in this gun.

I guess I get to be the guinea pig for the LEE 105 gr swc. I have some of those loaded up in 38 special cases to try out.
    I have some ahead of trail boss and some ahead of Bullseye.
    I have high hopes for this boolit if not the powders. So far nothing ahead of Bullseye has shot worth a darn out of my Rossi. Trail Boss maybe. will see. That powder has a weird pressure curve that all my rifles seem to like.

I would really like to try a slower powder with that Boolit. I cant find any loads. I guess nobody ever thought of shooting them out of a carbine.
    If any one has an Idea of a Unique load for that 105 let me know.

Oh here are the FPS results Crono was about 6 feet from muzzle.

It appears we are all suffering with that 1 in 30 twist. Its seems that when they were coming up with this gun they must have tilted to 125 gr jacketed 357 mag loads. I have a 1000 of those loaded ahead of 2400 and they are tac drivers at 100 yards.
    I guess they never figured we would want to thump a 180 gr rnfp at a deer or hog. Dummies.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; 05-03-2012 at 03:21 AM.

For the Lee 105 SWC, 3.6 grains of Bullseye in 38 Sp does really well in my M92 and my GP100. I noted quarter size groups with open sights with the rifle at 25 yards. I bet if I could hold the exect same aim point each shot, I would get one hole!
    Last edited by Fire_stick; 05-03-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Typed the wrong powder
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I tried the LEE 105 gr swc. ahead of 3.6 gr Bullseye and 3.4 gr Trail Boss.

I was pleasantly surprised. They both shot fairly well at 50 yards. Good thing too because I purchased a 6 cavity mold for those.

I couldnt save the Bullseye target. it rained hard and it fell apart. I did save the Trail Boss target. The holes look raged but thats not because of the load. I had to hang it funny to keep it from getting too wet.

I think I will load a bunch and take it to the 100 range tomorrow.

Boolit Master

It appears we are all suffering with that 1 in 30 twist.
    I felt that way initially when I first bought my 2 Rossi's, now for me it's not an issue. Both of my guns do like the 125 LEE RNFP AND 120 tc and shoot these very well. The Lee 158 SWC TL design is also a great shooter at .38 level loads. While I don't hunt hogs I think the Lyman 358429 would do just as good on hogs as a 180 RNFP. That bullet in both my Rossi's at 1600 fps+ is just a hair less accurate than the 125's and is stable to 200 yds. I think it would kill anything you would ask a .357 rifle to kill and do it well. Now that I've had both rifles for a couple years (and thousands of rounds) I see them as any other rifle. They like some bullets and loads and not others. I also have a Winchester 94 (1/16 twist) and it does no better with the 358429 than either of the Rossi's. It and a friends Marlin 94 .357 did not do well at all with the NOE 180 WNFP. Like Jeff above, the Rossi took me to school, only on light .35 cal bullets. I learned they can be very accurate at ranges out to 200 yds (farthest I've shot them) and really easy on a fellows lead supplies.

Boolit Master
    I am going to spend a little time with those LEE 105 gr swc. I kind of like the idea of every 3rd bullet being free.

Please post back regarding the 105 SWC. It would be good to know how it works.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the 180 grain FN from the Lee 6 boolit mold in my Rossi and also from my Cimarron Model P. Over 3.6 grains of Bullseye, both guns are right on the money.

I have a Marbles tang sight on the Rossi for metallic silhouette shooting. Out to 100 meters, it's a better shot than me.

I haven't tried anything else. I figure that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    What twist are the new Winchester 92s in 357? I have Rossis in 357 (which I really like) and a 44Mag (which I don't particularly like). I was toying with idea of selling both to funs a new Winchester in 357! They really look the goods!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    What twist are the new Winchester 92s in 357? I have Rossis in 357 (which I really like) and a 44Mag (which I don't particularly like). I was toying with idea of selling both to funs a new Winchester in 357! They really look the goods!
    I was just looking at them on Davidsons site but could not get any twist details. One big turn off for me was the rebounding hammer. I fought with one of them on my 94 and finally replaced the lower tang with an earlier half cock model. The trigger on mine was pretty bad and with the extra parts it does not make it easy to improve. Just my $.02

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I had a 94 AE Trapper in 357. I found the rebounding hammer a bit strange when I first used it, but didn't really notice it after that.

Winchester don't list barrels twists on the 92s on their site.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 06-08-2012 at 12:23 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Mold
    I believe the Ranch Dog TLC359-190-RF has been mentioned in this thread. Has anyone tried it in the Rossi 92? I asked the question in another thread a while back, but no one answered who had tried it. I am hoping someone might be able to respond who has tried it. The concern would be whether it will stabilize in the 1 turn in 30 inch twist rate in the Rossi. Will the Rossi stabilize this bullet?

Thanks.

Boolit Master

I picked up a new Rossi 357 at the last gunshow in my area. I have the 158gr SWC from lee and I did have some problems with simply loading it. I too am looking to switch and am considering the RN.

I've been working with some designs for the 357 Rossi, with a 30 inch twist. I keep coming back to this one. It's designed for a Lee Rifle Crimp die, which works great on lead and no crimp groove. It has a longer bearing area so it can be seated to reach the throat. The larger grease groove helps with the balance of the boolit. The gas check helps with the high end 1,900-2,000 FPS it's intended for.

I'm going to order it from Lee in six cavity. If anyone is interested in giving it a try it would help to spread the setup costs over a few moulds, send me a PM. It's a 145 grain RF boolit with a .250 meplat. I plan to order it by mid-august. Custom is not cheap, but it's fun!

If not, that's OK. I'll let you know sometime in Sept or Oct how it works out.

Last edited by 357shooter; 08-04-2012 at 08:47 PM.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT

Boolit Master

I have always thought that something in the 140 gr range would be perfect for the Rossi's with their 30" twist and your design looks great to me. I have no interest in the higher velocities as I don't hunt so the 130 Lee works fine for me plinking and hitting swingers. Good luck with the boolit and post your results once you get the mold.