Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to casting

Boolit Master

New to casting

So I finely took the dive into casting my own bullets with mixed results so far from a few lee molds. Last week a guy I work with told me he was getting out of casting and looking to pass his equipment on to somebody who would use it, lucky for me I was the first person he could think of. So here is the list of what I got for 50 bucks

Lee 6 cavity .38/357 150gr SWC
    Lyman 2 cavity .38/357 150gr swc
    Rcbs 2 cavity .32 98gr swc
    Lyman 2 cavity .45 200gr swc
    Lyman 2 cavity .31 110gr fn
    Lyman 2 cavity .44 205gr fn
    Rcbs 2 cavity .44 245gr fn
    Lyman 4 cavity .38/357 150gr wc
    a lee mold marked 90324 that looks to be miss marked, it looks to be and .358 wc
    and a brass mold .54cal with lyman handles
    2 rcbs handles
    2 lyman handles
    and a lee production pot

As you could guess this box made me very happy. Does anybody have any information on a Lyman 311316, im wondering what all i can load with it. I look forward to learning from everybody here.

Boolit Master
    $50....................For pete's sake that is freakin awesome!!! I don't have any info on your requested mold but welcome aboard.

Two very good reads:
    http://www.lasc.us/castbulletnotes.htm

and for the nuts and bolts:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Boolit Master
    And this is a good reference to boolit molds and design as well as other useful info.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/default.html

http://www.castpics.net/default.html

Boolit Grand Master
    The 311-316 is THE boolit for high speed 32-20 rifle loads. My browning loves them over 5.0 grains of Unique. I have also loaded a lot of them in 30-30's over 17.5 grains of 2400.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Remebrance

Yupper!!! The 311316 is great in almost any 30/31 cal. I've used in in everything from the 32 S+W to the '06 and 303. Great plinker in the bigger 30's. Great small game boolit too. That mould is worth twice what you paid for the whole stash!

Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    $50....................For pete's sake that is freakin awesome!!!
    No kidding! He shouldn't have to be paying for his own drinks for a while if you are around!

Boolit Master

great information guys, I tried to pay him more but he wouldn't take it. He also offered me a lyman 450 sizer with all the dies and punches for these molds for a hundred so im going to jump and that as soon as i build up play money. I'm glad to hear that it will work in 30-30 I was wondering what good it would be to me for what i already reload. im going to post a pic tonight of another mold that was in the box I thought it was for a .54 cal black powder but the guy at graffs thinks it might be a shotgun slug. Maybe somebody here will know something about it.

Boolit Master

Dude, have you taken the mask off yet? That was a steal!

Boolit Master

anybody ever seen these, the only markings on it is 204.

[attach]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0218.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	46387[/attach]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0219.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rmatchell View Post
    great information guys, I tried to pay him more but he wouldn't take it. He also offered me a lyman 450 sizer with all the dies and punches for these molds for a hundred so im going to jump and that as soon as i build up play money. I'm glad to hear that it will work in 30-30 I was wondering what good it would be to me for what i already reload. im going to post a pic tonight of another mold that was in the box I thought it was for a .54 cal black powder but the guy at graffs thinks it might be a shotgun slug. Maybe somebody here will know something about it.
    Heck you better or I'm going to have to fall over here from the chair I'm sitting in. As a caster, my gosh you have walked into a gold mine. I keep hoping that one day I may have the chance/opportunity .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......Sigh........................................ ................still waiting.

Boolit Master

And you felt no guilt? Cool catch, Mr. rmatchell. We should all be so fortunate. Congrats and welcome!

I had a friend do the same for me. He was in the closing phase of his life and knew it. He sold me his entire gunsmith shop- lathe, milling machine, grinders, buffers, drill press, small tools, 1911 parts, reloading presses, lead furnaces and dozens of molds for a price I could afford. He wanted, as your friend did, to make sure it ended up where it would be used and appreciated. The best gift is that I think of him every time I touch anything that came from him. He was a real patriot and passed away on July 4 three years ago. I hope I can do the same for someone when the time comes.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

anybody ever seen these, the only markings on it is 204.
    That is a Thompson Center Maxi Ball mould. It's for black powder rifles, not a shotgun slug. I can't tell from the picture, but it's probably 54 caliber, or maybe 50 caliber. The handles are Lyman mould handles, but the blocks are T/C.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

Thanks for the information MikeS. I figured the handles were lyman but the mold didn't look right. Not sure what ill do with it, never got into black powder.

Boolit Master

So I got out today and cast 20 or 30 boolits for each mold today out of wheel weights. Everything looks good can't wait to get the #2 ingots out and cast the night away.

Boolit Master

Considering that you got that mould in with a bunch of other stuff for an almost illegal price, you might want to just put it away, you never know when you might want/need it.

Or you might want to check and see if it's 50 cal, or 54 cal, then sell it, either here in the swapping & selling forum (once you meet the requirements for that forum), or on eBay. If in fact it's a 50 cal mould, I've heard of people using that mould in 50 cal pistol loads.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master

ill cast a few to check them out, but I am sure I would trade them for different equipment. I could always use extra shell plates the my lee pro 1000.

Boolit Buddy
    If I only gave someone $50 for all that I couldn't sleep at night. I'd stay up all night casting.

Boolit Master

Oh, i did. i'm all out of wheel weights.

Oh, i did. i'm all out of wheel weights.
    WHAT??? That deal didn't come with 7 tons of wheel weight ingots?

You got took!

Boolit Master

Were you holding a gun in you hand at the time this deal was struck?