Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a 44 mag levergun...

Boolit Master
    Here's my .44 mag rossi, shoots like a dream it does:

Boolit Buddy
    After reading this thread I had to shoot my lever yesterday. Loaded 9gr Unique under a Lee 240gr rn bullet lubed with 45/45/10. Shot a mayonanise jar full of them with no leading in my 94ae with a 24''barrel. Not to impressed with the accuracy, 3'' at 100 yds. I dont know if they could talk someone into NOT buying a lever, I think this thread talked me into looking for another one LOL.Tom

Boolit Master
    HI,
    You'll end up saying "AND I could a had a 444 !"

Boolit Bub

Well i dont know if im gonna be much help to you, but i think everyone needs to ow at Least one 44mag,

Marlin 1894P above 1895G

Center

How it looks now wearing Skinner Tactical's

Good Luck to'ya

Boolit Master
    Marlin makes a great lever gun, but I had a 92 Rossi in 44 magnum come my way about a year ago, I've shot the dickens out of it with no problems. Blued, 20" barrel, couldn't ask for more. My personal preference is the Winchester model 92 styling, rather than the Marlin. My Rossi in 454 will give me pretty good boot on the shoulder, but the 44 isn't too bad, and it's a great companion for my revolvers.

Boolit Master

Placed my order this morning. Rossi (w/safety) 20" Round Blue. $440 out the door. Now to place an order with Ranch Dog...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodGroove4570 View Post
    Marlin 1894P above 1895G

I had a 1894P a couple years back !

Kinda sorry I sold it !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Bub
    Ok -

I am confused. Several people on this thread have said "if you don't cast your own ammo, then don't buy the gun, you won't be happy".

I don't get it. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of places to buy bullets. Many do cast bullets, and quite a few will size them to your spec. Assuming a bullet with a large meplat, what is the problem with buying them from a commercial bullet maker?

I can understand talking him out of the purchase because that is more for the rest of us, but because you don't cast lead yourself???

Boolit Buddy

You might consider a .444 Marlin rifle, you can use the same .429 bullets.

Boolit Mold
    I've had a couple of Marlin 1894's in 44 mag. One with micro-groove rifling, and the one I have now with standard rifling. I also have a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag. "All" of my 44 rounds get 6 grains of Winchester 231 powder with a Lee tumble design 240 grain boolit, with no gas check. I've done extensive chronograph testing of this load in both guns. I get 1051 FPS in the rifle and 830 FPS in the revolver, with absolutely no leading in either. I wanted the revolver to have the power of a 45 auto, which it does, and hardly kicks at all in the big Redhawk. The same load in the rifle is a tack driver, and extremely pleasant to shoot. A few years ago I loaded a few "magrums" for hunting season using 2400 powder and a gas checked boolit, and still have plenty of those left for future deer seasons. My "pet load" is all I ever shoot now and it serves me well in both guns.

So get that 44 rifle and shoot non-gas checked cast boolits. Just hold down the velocity, as you experiment to see how fast you can push it before leading occurs.

Don <><
    Last edited by genesis; 08-02-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Picked up the Rossi today, action is pretty smooth, better than the other ones I have felt. Only fault is a little spot the forarm band chewed up on installation, figured I would live with it. Can't wait to try it out! Also have a Ranch Dog mold and a pot on the way (plus accesories) and a week with the family out of town to try it out!

Boolit Master

Got a chance to squeeze a few off tonight just before dark. Only about 15-20 yards, but the holes were touching using my commercial cast 240 grainers over red dot and 2400. Both loads were very managable, fed well, and didn't show any leading to speak of (only 10 rounds or so). Can't wait to cast up some boolits and give it a proper workout!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Got a chance to squeeze a few off tonight just before dark. Only about 15-20 yards, but the holes were touching using my commercial cast 240 grainers over red dot and 2400. Both loads were very managable, fed well, and didn't show any leading to speak of (only 10 rounds or so). Can't wait to cast up some boolits and give it a proper workout!
    Well done! You are off to a flying start!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

You guys called it! I took the Rossi to the indoor range after work just to play a little and the commercial cast wouldn't group for anything, some even tumbled, even at twenty five yards. Popped a couple j-words in and 3 rounds went through two touching holes!

Boolit Master
    I size my own bullets to .431" and it has worked like a charm.

I have a Henry in .44 mag and have been thinking of a hand gun so as to make the reloading runs last longer.

I say go for it!

Boolit Master

Just added a Marbles tang sight to my Marlin 1894. Standard sights getting to fuzzy and I did not want to put a scope on it. Will find out tomorrow if these old eyes can make the tang sight work.

Larry

Boolit Bub
    My 1894 in 44 is my favorite general purpose rifle. It will handle most any chore that needs doing. It was my first one and it will be my last to go(if any have to go). I bought a 357 since I liked the 44 so much. Its alright and pretty handy on smaller game but it hasn't earned favorite status yet. I could be just as happy with a model 92 clone, just found the marlin first. Plenty of power in a handy package. By the way,those 44 special cowboy loads work pretty good on rabbits. And the 44 mags can handle every thing else. We use a 265gr cast and 9.5gr unique for all hunting in the 44. mid range and very effective.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HDS View Post
    Here's my .44 mag rossi, shoots like a dream it does:
    HDS, What is that on the butt plate? Did you just add a little piece of foam? Did you glue it? Also, your stock appears to have a little more shine than mine, did you put something on it?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    HDS, What is that on the butt plate? Did you just add a little piece of foam? Did you glue it? Also, your stock appears to have a little more shine than mine, did you put something on it?
    The stuff where the butt plate should be is wood epoxy, I removed the buttplate, filled out the area and sanded it down. It'll be fitted with a recoil-pad soon. I wanted a longer stock and that seemed the easiest way todo it for me.

I refinished the stocks using birchwood casey tru-oil as well, that's why they look shinier.