RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bought a 358480 mold

Boolit Bub

Bought a 358480 mold

I found a Lyman 358480 mold at the gun show today for a you gotta buy me price. My Lyman book says it casts a 133 gr. swc. I plan on using these in K frame 38s & maybe 357s for plinking loads.
    Anyone have any experience with this boolit in this application? Have any suggestion for a starting load? Thanks!!! Dave

Boolit Master

Shoots really nice up to about 100 yards in the .38 Special and .357 Mag. Plenty of loads around for it. I use mine in a 9mm Blackhawk convertible with Pat Marlin's .35P check and hollowpointed. My best carry load for pests here on the farm./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

I have a 2 cavity in that boolit and if I could find a 4 cavity I would buy it in a heart beat. I have a 4 inch S&W model 19 that shoots that real nice. I once took a jack rabbit at 119 steps with that gun fired from 357 load. It shoots well in a number of 38/357 guns and I have 9mm guns that it shoots well in. I wish Lyman would bring it back or someone would work up a group buy for this old Lyman boolit with 4 or more cavities without changing anything about the design.

wcp

Boolit Master
    +1 on Group Buy! I have this pattern in a Lyman 2 cavity mold, is the best boolit I have ever tried in my .38 Super Lightweight Commander. There must be some real interest in this pattern as all of the used molds I have seen offered for sale bring higher than expected values, except in your case. Congrats on getting a winner.

Thin Man

Boolit Buddy
    I had one of these and sold it because I could never get a decent group from my 38spl colt Police Positive 3.5" brl. I tried lots of diffrent loads but never found one that would work.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was in the same boat as Will. It did not shoot very well in my .357, and I only had an SC, so it went down the river years ago. I did try it in the 38 super with decent results, but other things worked better.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I worked with that bullet for several years off and on back in the '70's and again in the 90's and could never get a really accurate load for it in my guns - 38 Spl, 357 Mag or 38 Super. Sold it. Hope it works out for you.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Bub
    I finally got some of those made & was testing them a bit the other day. Looks like they might have some potential. Playing with the OAL since this bullet does not have a crimp groove. Seemed to work better by just closing the belled portion of the case in the middle of the front band. Shown with a 358429 for comparision.

A better shooter would help!!!

Boolit Master

I use it in my HiPower over 6.8 to 7.0 grs Blue Dot.