Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Commercial truck ww

Boolit Master

Commercial truck ww

What would a guy pay fora 5 gal bucket of those? Guy wants a c note.

Boolit Buddy
    Dont even think of paying that much. They are not any better than 1/2 oz car wheel weights. $30.00 tops

Boolit Buddy
    Tell him to stuff them up his... Well, you know...

Boolit Master
    I pay 30 cent a pound. Sometimes they are steel or zink but mosty they are.lead. Yeild is normally much better than the small car ones.

At $100/bucket, you have to figure you're paying close to $1/lb for finished product and you get to do all the work.

I'd rather buy processed ingots on here for $1/lb and save the propane for your favorite hamburger or steak.

Boolit Master

A C note?!! Holy rip-off Batman! That guy is out of his mind.

Take your 100 bucks and buy 3 X the amount of car wheel weights!
    Jon

Boolit Master

My brother used to work at a place that did alot of commercial tires. He brought me a box of WW home when I asked, and they were all zinc.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Damn. I got a five gallon bucket full waiting for me for a twelve pack. Better go get em

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Moderator Emeritus

A C note for a bucket of wheel weights? The guy is smoking the wrong kind of granola if you ask me. The only difference between a truck WW and a car WW is size, composition is the same. Offer him a sane amount for them, if he says no, let him choke on them and spend your money elsewhere.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

A long time ago, they contained some copper to harden/strengthen them. I doubt that is the norm anymore.
    I used to have access to them in quantity, but alas, like everything else. Times have changed.
    Their only advantage is less clip per lb of lead. You do still have to hand sort them from the zinc and Fe, although the ratio should be in your favor.
    At a dollar a pound, I'd walk, fast. If ya can get them for .25-.35 a lb take them. At even .35, i'd sort them on the spot, and only take the soft ones. Drop them on the floor and keep the thuds while tossing the tings. It's getting harder to find WWs, but not at that price.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys that is what I figured too. He said he had a guy offer 30 but can get more. That's when I thought he was nuts.

I had the same I dea as OLE. Except I like charcoal.

Boolit Master

The manager or owner at a tire store quoted me a price of $150 for 1-1/2 buckets of unsorted WW a couple of years ago when the prices first went nuts. Then he told me to wait a minute and get on his phone. He came back a few minutes later and said, "No, they'll be $180.00."

I told him what the world market quote for that day was- I checked just a couple of hours prior and pointed out that he was over double that price. Then I left.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Truck Wheel Weights!

I paid $20 for a 5 gallon bucket full of these!

It weighed about 125 lbs. and yielded well over 100 pounds of good clean lead. No different than car wheel weights except for the size! There is less clips and more lead.

DC-1

Boolit Master
    Last bucket I bought was $50, but it will be the last. I guess I bought all his old buckets of weights since the last one was about half iron/zinc. Not worth the effort anymore (for that price).
    Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".
    Download my alloy calculator here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105952

Boolit Master

They are not the same as car weights. Car weights have arsinic in them and the big ones dont. That is no problem for casting but they dont work in a shot maker. About a year ago was surfing ebay and found 150 lbs of NEW ones for 75 shipped. He later sent another box of about 40lbs some of these are 1 lb each. If a tire is that far out I dont need the tire

Moderator Emeritus

Where are you getting this information from that truck WW doesn't have arsenic and car WW does? Got a link, I'd like to read this for myself.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Man
    didnt know semis even used ww and I drive the damn things lol. gonna have to check the truck shop here in town and see if I can get some.

Boolit Master

Suspecting your truck might lose one or two.

Boolit Master
    I just sorted through 1/4 of a 5 gallon bucket I got for free from a semi shop here that Ive dealt with once before. The trucks weights worked out to be about 1/2 zinc this time around. I found it kinda odd that with the car ww bucket I get only about 10% zinc & steel but out of the truck ww bucket I get 50%.