Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Substitute for Cream of Wheat

Banned

the globs of lead indicate gas cutting. most definatly.
    the quest now is to discover what is causing it.
    i doubt it is the alloy etc i would definatly look for a mechanical [the gun] issue.
    since rugers are known for either a tight spot in the bbl under the frame and for undersized cylinder throats that is where i would start.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    That depends entirely on how it is used. It can leave nice polished clean bores, provided its used correctly.
    that is true.
    but i believe it does so not through scrubbing but by providing a gas seal and base protection to the boolit.
    it is a/the h/v cast rifle buffer of choice though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .357MAN View Post
    ...It all leads to some degree in the same spot, on the lands in the last 2 inches.
    For clarification, muzzle or cylinder end?

Boolit Grand Master

I use air.

Cheap, easy to install, never get too much or too little.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

"For clarification, muzzle or cylinder end?" It's leading at the muzzle end.

"I use air." LOL! That's what I've been using too, but it's not doing a good enough job.

Boolit Master

I have never used COW but have used corn meal. Back when I shot round balls from an 1858 Remington Copy I read about using corn meal as a filler to shoot compressed reduced loads and to prevent chain fires. I noticed how it really kept the fouling down.

Recently, I started loading corn meal filler loads for .45 Colt for a Vaquero and an H&R 1871 Classic Carbine. The load is 8 grains of unique topped off with corn meal. The rounds shoot more like 10 grains, standard deviation was reduced, and groups were consistently small.

The bores of both weapons where clean as a whistle and still had a thin residue of lube. I also noticed a lot less smoke from my lube, almost like I was shooting jacketed bullets. I enjoyed the results of the initial test and plan on trying different load combinations including some round ball loads just for the heck of it. Frank

I found some cream of wheat, but it's instant. Will this work?

I've finally found out exactly what COW is. It is cause ground wheat starch with no fibre in it (the bran and germ is removed). I can see why it can compact with moisture. I'm surprised that it removes leading from the bore but if it works, why not! Just don't store it loaded is all. I liked the nature of grits which did work in the Brit but it concaved the boolit bases (soft alloy) and left a wad in the concave. I've no idea how it would have performed on the range. I only test tube tested them. It does raise the pressure which is good for slow powders. This is where I get envious about the long necked Krag - plenty room for an under boolit wad! Not so in the Brit.

Have a look at wheat germ. You'll see why it appeals to me and is my filler of choice in the Brit.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Man
    Have you ever thought of trying a commercially cast bullet to see if it still leads? Maybe a friend casts?
    If enough pressure is applied, it'll go