WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to store moulds?

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    No offense intended, but having worked with OSHA, I'd rely a whole lot more on my Doc than those birds. Other medicos have stated 20 is where concern begins in most people without a base line to work from. I don't know who is right, but the Vitamin C sounds like a simple, safe pale to start. Many people scoff at simple natural remedies, but they often work- and inexpensively too.
    HI Ya, Dr. is concerned at 20. He has me doing multiple blood tests. one month, two months, 4 months and 6 mos. At which time we review. I fully agree on simple remedies. For now no casting. My gunsmith reminded me why "Mad as a Hatter" was common saying. The Hatters used Mercury. Lead is same problem.
    I am taking this seriously.

Much obliged,

Max

Boolit Buddy
    Regarding the lead levels in blood. When I was a kid, my father got flagged for lead in the blood, from doing leaded glass. He started using a fan over the area he was soldering in, and it cleared up in a month or two.

In a long winded way I'm suggesting some cross ventilation.

HI Dingo,

That's encouraging, I am waiting 6 months and taking blood tests along the way. They SawBones will evaluate. Depending on what we get as a reading I will either return to casting w/fan and outdoors or wait 6 more months.

Much obliged,

Max

rust control

i've used wd 40 for 50 years with no problems. most'ly because i'm lazy.when i finish casting, about once a year.i spray them down with wd40 stick them in a old sock,spray it dn. then into a ammo box.and forget them.till i need to cast again . i take them out of the sock put them in a sealed container covered with accetone,to clean them and they are ready to go.some of my molds are 80 years old with no rust.

You can pick up lead from tumbling media also.
    The first time I tumble "clean" brass in my SS tumbler I was shocked at how dirty the water was.

I'm not sure how it will work for Bullet molds but theres a product called Boeshield T-9 that was developed by Boeing Jets for corrosion control.

http://boeshield.com/

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    You can pick up lead from tumbling media also.
    The first time I tumble "clean" brass in my SS tumbler I was shocked at how dirty the water was.
    HI Ya, Most definitely! I have changed the media more often because of the lead stryphonite in the primers. I have excessively high blood lead levels now from casting and smelting without taking care. But is it lead in your tumbler? or just dirt and powder.
    BTW, are we hijacking this thread? it was about storing molds, better to post any replies elsewhere.

much obliged,

Max

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliden07 View Post
    I'm not sure how it will work for Bullet molds but theres a product called Boeshield T-9 that was developed by Boeing Jets for corrosion control.

http://boeshield.com/

Check it out!
    T-9 is THE single best lube out there. I use it for nearly every application and we sell tons of it at the shop.

here in Fresno I just apply some bullplate lube on a hot iron mold after casting. Preheating and casting a few seems to burn off any extra lube with no apparent ill effects. Molds seem fine, with no rust. And these are kept in an unheated garage year round.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
    -Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    Hello, max it. Be careful with oil and wax paper. Stored a single cavity Lyman for over 10 years in wax paper..mould was covered in vaseline. When finally checked, the vaseline (oil will do same) had reacted with wax paper..eventually drying out & leaving a dry flaky paper covering mould..although inside was fine, outside was beginning to have light surface rust.
    Some of my moulds only see use once every few years..I have been using Mould Saver..designed for industrial use..has lanolin. They are then stored in small plastic bag. cleans off with brake cleaner and/or hot soapy water.

Boolit Mold
    First off, thanks for all the excellent posts on this forum. In the past couple days I have learned a whole ton.

Second, as far as lead goes, cilantro is an excellent herb for pulling heavy metals (such as lead) out of the body.

Vitamin C is another excellent one.

Get some milk thistle capsules, they will pull it out of your liver, as will tumeric powder.

Fiber will also push it out of your system.

Apples are a natural blood purifier.

Other helpful herbs : Chicory, Burdock Root, Yellow Dock, Dandelion (yes, those "weeds in your front yard". They are some of the best plants nutritionally you can have), Fennel, Licorice Root, and Oregon Graperoot.

I am currently training to be a Master Herbalist, I hope this was helpful to people. Best thing about herbs is they are food, so no horrible side effects like drugs.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyrax, welcome to CastBoolits,

Thanks for posting this info, I'm sure many here will find it useful. I heard very much the same thing on the Science Channel on a show about lead awhile back though not as complete a list as yours.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

40 is the real point of concern. Most Docs know squat about lead exposure, sad to say. Frequently scaring
    the heck out of folks with "Anything above 10 means hospitalization and chelation." Baloney. I know
    many people that have been at middle 20s for decades and perfectly healthy. 10 is the
    limit for CHILDREN, not relevant to adults.

If I was of breeding age and working on a kid, maybe I might worry some and stay totally away from lead.
    But really, 20 is not a real issue other than it shows sloppy housekeeping and industrial hygene. Never
    eat, drink or smoke with lead contaminated hands or in your casting or reloading area. Always wash your
    hands thoroughly before eating, drinking or smoking after shooting, loading or casting. Do these things
    and you will not have lead issues. The people I know that got into their 20s shot on an indoor range
    regularly.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    40 is the real point of concern. Most Docs know squat about lead exposure, sad to say. Frequently scaring
    the heck out of folks with "Anything above 10 means hospitalization and chelation." Baloney. I know
    many people that have been at middle 20s for decades and perfectly healthy. 10 is the
    limit for CHILDREN, not relevant to adults.

If I was of breeding age and working on a kid, maybe I might worry some and stay totally away from lead.
    But really, 20 is not a real issue other than it shows sloppy housekeeping and industrial hygene. Never
    eat, drink or smoke with lead contaminated hands or in your casting or reloading area. Always wash your
    hands thoroughly before eating, drinking or smoking after shooting, loading or casting. Do these things
    and you will not have lead issues. The people I know that got into their 20s shot on an indoor range
    regularly.

Bill
    By Golly! that's me Bill, over the hill and shooting indoors . I am trying though; just realized I should be using my Niosh95 masks when loading and unloading spent brass from the tumbler. Much obliged, Max

Banned
    RIG is an excellent rust preventative. I had some trouble 20+ years ago with rust on some tools/guns. It wasn't too bad and I saved everything but it made me sick to see it happen. That was in an old basement without A/C in central Virginia - not a good combination for anything made out of carbon steel. Since then I've been very careful with the storage of ferrous metal tools that I care about. I've used a lot of different products but RIG has proven to be one of the best. My storage conditions have improved considerbly but I still use RIG for long term storage of steel & iron tools, including molds. You have to clean the grease from the mold before use but it's a small price to pay to prevent rust. I think some of the other methods suggested would involve less work, particularly for short term storage but I'm a bit gun shy when it come to rust. I imagine that just about any soft grease would provide protection if applied to clean/dry metal but I'm sold on RIG. Somebody mentioned using an oiled sock and ammo can for storing the mold with handles, I might try that for short term storage between casting sessions.

I used to store steel molds in a quart of 30w oil in a Tupperware container.
    Yes, they did need to drip for a while when I wanted to use them.
    In retrospect I should have used K1.
    I'll have to give Pledge a try. Easier than flushing oil on to a stack of newspapers.

Perma-Banned

Lowes has the stick on rust inhibitors for tool boxes. I put one on the top of the rubbermaid container I keep mine in. The rust inhibitors are about 5 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Wonder how RIG would perform for molds has anyone used it for their Molds?
    Other than the work to clean it off before use I would imagine RIG would be excellent to use on your molds.