Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming about my next squirrel gun. What do you like?

Longwood
    The little Browning that a few friends had were tiny, beauutius, and way too expensive for me to buy one.

Boolit Buddy
    When I lived in Mobile I bought a dedicated "Squirrel Gun" and really enjoyed hunting both Fox and Grays.

The rifle is a Browning take-down, semi-auto .22 LR. They are beautiful little rifles, very light and handy and natural pointers. Mine is accurate, although I never could bring myself to mess up it's handiness with a scope.

I still have it and enjoy using it now and again.

I have a Marlin model 56 Lever that is a good shooter. It is not too heavy but has a full size rifle feel. I finally got around to scoping it yesterday and was impressed with its' accuracy.

Here are 16 shots, or two full magazines plus 1 in the chamber. After five shots, I dialed the scope to the right a few clicks to get on target. These shots were fired at around 60 yards using Blazer ammo.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's not bad shooting for a " Rookie ".

Ben

"That's not bad shooting for a " Rookie "."

Well you know, Rookies sign the biggest contracts.

I just might out shoot you one day, but that will probably be when you are not shooting anymore.

Bmanis

Boolit Buddy
    my 10/22 is my best 22 shooting one hole groups @ 50yards and it's not tricked out the Marlin 39A next in line

Boolit Grand Master

Most 10-22s will shoot one hole groups @ 50 yards.
    Eventually you will have a 4" hole if you keep shooting long enough!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    Goodsteel, my 500 s&w Handi Rifle will shoot 1/2" one shot groups all day,it's amazing. Got me a new bolt action squirrel gun this past weekend, a Mossberg 385. It`s a 20 gauge, a mans got to know his limitations. It should shoot very large one shot groups.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Boolit Master

About 5 years ago I kind made a trip back to my youth by going squirrel hunting every year at least once or twice. Now I look forward to it as much as deer season.

I pick one of 3 rifles; a ruger 77/22 with a 3-9 leupold on it, a CZ452 Manlicher stock with a 1.5-5x scope, or a 9422 with iron sights. My first squirrels as a youth were with a 20 gauge and I shot a few that way too. Certainly was effective before the leaves dropped.

OK, that does it, tomorrow is a range day with the .22s and some of my cast 158's in the .357 Python.

How about a 22 Centerfire?

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Most 10-22s will shoot one hole groups @ 50 yards.
    Eventually you will have a 4" hole if you keep shooting long enough!
    GoodSteel,

Honestly, the only thing I like about the 10/22 is the availablity of after market accessories. The action on the 10/22 (and this may be the problem with many 22 auto loaders) shears off a chunk of the bullet lead in the magazine ready to be chambered. Problematic for accuracy. By your post, the 10/22 not in the running so enough said about that weapon.

How about a single shot bolt gun with peeps or even a nice scope? If I were in your shoes I'd look in that direction.

Just my 2/100 of four quarter's worth,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

My favorite squirrel gun was (until it got stolen! *grrr*) was a Weatherby XXII. I had the clip fed model, but it did come in a tube model. Not sure what they are getting for them used these days, but you might look that direction too.

Boolit Bub
    I kinda like "old school"..
    1890 in .22lr from 1929

or this old thing...
    a 52 from 1932..

Sorry , missed the part about semi auto...
    How about a winchester 74?
    Last edited by krit29-2; 07-12-2012 at 10:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Oh my. That pump!

Boolit Master
    I would saddle up with that M52 Winchester and not look back. I don't understand when guys say bolt guns are too slow, but that's just me. My squirrel rig, depending on the mood I'm in that day, is either an early M52 w/speed lock, Springfield M1922M2, or a custom BSA Martini ex-target rifle. The older I get, the more I realize that how one does it is as important as why.

If I depended on squirrels (or any other game animal) for sustenance I would probably go with a modern quick firing accurate rifle. But since I don't, and hunt purely for sport, I arm myself with the classiest guns I can scrounge up.

Boolit Bub
    forgot about this little guy, he finds ways to hide in the safe..

a remington model 24 from 1929
    small, light,breaks down, tube fed, semi auto.. and later became the Browning.22
    and it's still kinda inexpensive, and comes chambered in .22 short also

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by krit29-2 View Post

I kinda like "old school"..
    1890 in .22lr from 1929
    Me too,, Nice rifle!
    I bought one of the Rossi replica's back in the early eighties and gave it away about ten years later.
    I had a 41 SW auto that I could hit well with so did not need it.
    Then my eyesight went south. Pistol shooting is out.
    I got the Rossi back last year and it is staying this time.
    I see that they are way more valuable now than when I bought mine.

Boolit Bub

My go to gun is a 10/22 its a older model with the metal butt plate. I never have liked the marlin to much. i had a golden trigger edition some years back and about ever 3rd shot would jam no matter what ammo i would shoot through it. i took it apart and cleaned it and still jams. i sent it back to marlin to have it fixed what did they tell me. It needed cleaned and they sent it back. first round through it jammed. I gave the gun away to be rid of it. and yesterday i pulled out a new to me M1969 and i love that little gun. when i was getting it out i also found another model 60 in there and i dont know where it came from. I shot it several times and it shot well. my daughter also shot it and asked if it could be her tree rat gun and i gave it to her. She is only 12 and i am glad she is into guns i just hope this model 60 is better than my first one.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Remington Speedmaster. I have used one of those before, and I loved it.

Boolit Grand Master

I will be using a Martini Model 8 this year. My other squirrel gun is a Norinco target rifle(Mauser copy) I got and worked over about 20 years ago. It shoots under 1" at 100 yards with a 3x scope on top. If I am just woods walking I like my Henry lever gun.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Remington Speedmaster. I have used one of those before, and I loved it.
    I tried real hard to wear out a Remington Fieldmaster pump when I was a kid. I figured I had shot over 100 thousand through it when I gave it to a nephew.
    I had one or the automatics a long time later but I had the model 41 S&W Auto pistol and the Rossi pump and sold the Speedmaster because I never shot it much.
    I did not install a scope on it and never really tested how well it shot accuracy wise.
    I have long been a Remington fan. I liked it mainly because of how much it looked like my old pump.