WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: Holster for 1911

Holster for 1911

Is there a holster out there that would be easier on the blueing on Remington 1911 R1. I do go out to the range pratice my draw so the gun can be drawen and reinserted as many 100 times.
    Thanks Dan
    Judan

Boolit Grand Master
    Seems that all holsters apply some friction or pressure to the gun and hence will abrade at contact points. If you have a concern about same a pistol case with sheepskin interior might be the best you could do. Don't store it in such as it will leach oil off the gun over time and promote rust. Only thing I can suggest is keep it oiled and wiped down with RIG, etc.

Boolit Master
    I have tired a lot of holsters over the years and they all wear the finish off sooner of later. About the only guns that do not seam to wear are stainless steel ones but they get shinny where they rub in a holster. I myself do not worry about honest wear on a gun as to me that ads character. If you want one for show buy a secind ine and put it in a case and never handle it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NickSS View Post
    I have tired a lot of holsters over the years and they all wear the finish off sooner of later. About the only guns that do not seam to wear are stainless steel ones but they get shinny where they rub in a holster. I myself do not worry about honest wear on a gun as to me that ads character. If you want one for show buy a secind ine and put it in a case and never handle it.
    +1 The pistol is to be shot not just put on display. If it eventually gets too shiny you can always reblue it.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

the first scratch or wear mark is the worse. then as the others say you'll be able to appreciate the character each additional one adds. there will never be another one that looks like yours cause they all have there own character

For anything--

Quote Originally Posted by bigboredad View Post
    the first scratch or wear mark is the worse. then as the others say you'll be able to appreciate the character each additional one adds.
    Worked with a fellow, who when he bought a new truck, would back it up to his feed building, go inside and pick up one large concrete block, come out and hurl in into the bed with as much force as prudent. Then stated, 'well first scratch is in 'er now' . Never worried about anymore scratches.
    Have a situation where all your guns get watered down in a fire or something akin to that and you'll get a whole new appreciation of inanimate objects.

that's pretty funny. and I understand about the inanimate for me it was being diagnosed with a incurable disease that will cripple me make me lose on cognitive thinking and make it so I can't breathe on my own. But the good thing is they say it won't kill me

Boolit Master

Judan,

Watch for the older Safariland holsters. They have an inside thumb break strap with a large snap and llow the gun to be carried cocked and locked with the thumbreak strap between the hammer and slide. An option on them was elk suede lining. Even those holsters will eventually wear on the bluing but they are about as gentle as you'll find in a quality holster. I watch the boxes of holsters at gun shows and shops for old Safariland leather. It's usually not very pricey.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Judan,

Watch for the older Safariland holsters. They have an inside thumb break strap with a large snap and llow the gun to be carried cocked and locked with the thumbreak strap between the hammer and slide. An option on them was elk suede lining. Even those holsters will eventually wear on the bluing but they are about as gentle as you'll find in a quality holster. I watch the boxes of holsters at gun shows and shops for old Safariland leather. It's usually not very pricey.

David
    great idea

Boolit Master
    no offense, but the finish on the Rem R1 is pretty weak. I have one and it's severely worn as compared to my other 1911s. I found the kydex/serpas are especially hard on 'em.
    scrap, smelt, cast, lube, load, shoot. repeat.

Boolit Buddy
    These coatings work. I coated my most used handgun with the gun shield product over a year ago. No sign of finish wear yet, but I haven't tested it in the fast draw practice you are planning.

http://store.burningbushtech.com/

BeeMan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BeeMan View Post
    These coatings work. I coated my most used handgun with the gun shield product over a year ago. No sign of finish wear yet, but I haven't tested it in the fast draw practice you are planning.

http://store.burningbushtech.com/

BeeMan
    Not too impressed with a company that does not even give a good description of their product let alone no description. It may work fine but I like info before I buy. yea I could call them but that cost me money if they want to sell the product they should describe it and how it works.
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
    Not too impressed with a company that does not even give a good description of their product let alone no description. It may work fine but I like info before I buy. yea I could call them but that cost me money if they want to sell the product they should describe it and how it works.
    BeeMan's link is just a retailer. 30 seconds on Google on your part would have found you the information that you want.

http://www.dynamicfinishes.com/compa...atek-coatings/

Boolit Master

Thanks
    A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one, you won't be needing one again.