Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Should Forster Product make a case trimmer for large Britsh cartridges

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 83.33%
  • NO

1 16.67%

Thread: Help needed-Forster case trimmer for large Cartridges

Help needed-Forster case trimmer for large Cartridges

I originally posted this down in the Reloading forum, but I thought I would repost it here to get a larger audience.

For the past year, without much luck, I have been trying to convince Forster Products to adapt their case trimmer to work 577/450 Martini, .577 Snider and 577 2 3/4" NE cases and other large cases. It is hard to convince companies that there is a great enough demand to set up and make tooling for our hobby. Those of us who have been around this hobby a while are very familiar with battle we had just trying to get a reasonable priced set reloading dies for the Martini that really would work with most rifles.

Since then we have been able to get many more in the industry on board. We now have brass, bullet moulds and loading dies available. And of course we have the rifles in good supply from IMA and Atlanta Cutlery via the Nepalese cache.

One thing we do not have is good brass working tools. Most of us have have all cobbled together stuff that works. But what is needed is a dedicated tool to do the job.

I talked today to Forster. They do not think there is enough interest to justify tooling up to make us a trimmer. We need to show them that there is a need.

I have directed them to this forum so they can see we are legitimate.

I also told them I would have you guys send them email asking for them to make us a trimmer. They said if they get enough email to demonstrate there is a real market they will take this request seriously.

So in order to be heard we need for you to do three things: send an email to Forster Products, vote in poll, and spread the word to others about this project:

info@forsterproducts.com

and

rrruch@gmail.com

In your email ask Forster to make a case trimmer to work the Snider, Martini and what ever big old British cartridges you use. If you make you own cases tell them what tools you currently use to cut and form cases. If you just reload tell them how you trim cases.

It does not matter where you are in the world, send an email and be heard.
    Douglas, Ret.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range onesonek's Avatar
    I feel your pain,,,,,but just an option.
    Give this guy a call and see if he can help...
    http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html
    Dave

Thanks for the referral, but we are trying to get a mainline tool maker on board, first.

I just looked at that tool and I am not sure it is big enough for .577 caliber nor will it work with the straight wall cases of the Snider or my .577 2-3/4 NE
    Last edited by The Double D; 06-13-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    Douglas, Ret.

The silhouette shooters around here have been trying to get Forster to make the 3-1 case mouth cutter for different calibers. Like .357 and .44 mag.
    No luck. They are not even planning doing it even there is demand for it.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I would think it's a matter of just having the collet. they make 3 trimmers, one works with the 450/400 3-1/4 inch I load for but I haven't measured the maximum rim diameter it takes. It might be able to be opened up like you do to the standard ones to trim 45-70. And they make one for trimming 50 bmg which would have a large enough diameter but probably not a collet.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter93 View Post
    I would think it's a matter of just having the collet. they make 3 trimmers, one works with the 450/400 3-1/4 inch I load for but I haven't measured the maximum rim diameter it takes. It might be able to be opened up like you do to the standard ones to trim 45-70. And they make one for trimming 50 bmg which would have a large enough diameter but probably not a collet.
    They do not have a way to hold the head or a cutter head large enough for trimming the Neck.
    Douglas, Ret.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Have you contacted L.E. Wilson or CH4D?
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

You miss the point. I am not looking for some one to do this I looking for Forster to do this.

They have the market base.

Of the main line tool makers they seem to have the most easily modified tool.

I have already talked to Forster. Forster has stated that they will make this tool if we get enough folks to express an interest.
    Douglas, Ret.