RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Harbor Freight mini-lathe got tired of turning.

Banned

You can actually still do that at a Community College? I have hope for our country yet...

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Hey, I love that ***** cat doing the right-cross sucker punch. Way to go, kitty.

Have not found a community college closer than 60 miles...to far for night school and me an old fart.

Having already sent off my payment and order for my timing pulley, boring bar set, center punches, 3 sets of knurling wheels...I decided I was skateting on thin ice without ordering a new timing belt as well.

Sent an additional letter and funds for pullley belt, might as well do this restoration right instead of half-a$$.

Jim

Boolit Man
    All this talk on lathes! I have one of those 7x10 from HF as well.
    They are good to start with I like mine. Here is a pic of it and me.

I had just got the other lathe in the photo. I needed to compare them.
    I am the guy in the forground. My uncle and I had just finshed moving the new to me lathe in to my garage.
    Mel W.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Both look good melw!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

What a massive lathe you fellers moved into your garage, the tail stock looks like it weighs more than the HF mini-lathe.

What do you plan on making, cannon barrels.

Jim

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Swagerman View Post
    What a massive lathe you fellers moved into your garage, the tail stock looks like it weighs more than the HF mini-lathe.

What do you plan on making, cannon barrels.

Jim
    Well maybe. I would then need to build a rifling machine.
    I wanted a larger lathe then the 7X10 and had saved up some money. My uncle (the othe guy in the pic) is a retired machinist and knew of a good buy.
    I got that lathe a 17X40 for $1200. I then had to get the tooling and other things to make it run. I built the 3 phase converter from a kit I found on eBay and a 15 horse motor from a salvage yard. I still need to get the garage wired for it. The lathe wants 40 amps. THe 30amp dryer circuit is not happy!
    My wife was taking the pics was just shaking her head the whole time we where moving it. We worked for four hours to get it in the garage.
    We moved that 4000lb tool by hand with comealongs roollers and long pry bars.

Mel W.

Boolit Master
    melw, because this is your first toolroom lathe I'll risk insulting you by asking whether you leveled it properly? Unlike your minilathe, toolroom lathes have enough flexibility in their long beds so that if you just put it on a nominally flat floor, it ends up with the tailstock not aligned with the headstock when they are a long way apart.

I'm not a Buckshot-style serious operator, but I did have to do at least a reasonable job of leveling mine. I used a precision level (NOT a normal Starret level) across the two ends of the ways, and shimmed the support points until I had it within one-and-a-half thousandths of an inch across the width of the bed, from end to end. I could have done better by spending more than the 20 minutes I invested - the level was easily sensitive enough to do much better - but since I never make long objects on the lathe I took the slack approach. In a toolroom it would have been done properly of course. You also need to recheck it occasionally - your shims are likely to settle after it has vibrated in service for a while.

Boolit Man
    Why yes I did.
    My uncle helped me. What I meant when I said he was a retired machinist was he had his own small shop. He keeps busy finding and restoring forklifts.
    We leveled it and wated a week or more then did it again.
    No insult was taken.
    Mel W.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy one View Post
    melw, because this is your first toolroom lathe I'll risk insulting you by asking whether you leveled it properly? Unlike your minilathe, toolroom lathes have enough flexibility in their long beds so that if you just put it on a nominally flat floor, it ends up with the tailstock not aligned with the headstock when they are a long way apart.

I'm not a Buckshot-style serious operator, but I did have to do at least a reasonable job of leveling mine. I used a precision level (NOT a normal Starret level) across the two ends of the ways, and shimmed the support points until I had it within one-and-a-half thousandths of an inch across the width of the bed, from end to end. I could have done better by spending more than the 20 minutes I invested - the level was easily sensitive enough to do much better - but since I never make long objects on the lathe I took the slack approach. In a toolroom it would have been done properly of course. You also need to recheck it occasionally - your shims are likely to settle after it has vibrated in service for a while.

Super Moderator

..............You probably know you'll need to check it several times in the next 6 months. You oughta be able to make some BIG fancy stuff with a 17" machine! There's a story around on the web (with pictures) of a guy that turned a dang big cannon barrel on a 10" Logan!

He had to use a hoist to get the barrel up onto the lathe, and then swap the barrel end for end to turn the entire length, as the barrel was about 18" longer then the bed. When it came time to bore it he went to a friends who had a big Monarch with a 72" bed.

..................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Well, good news for me.

This came in todays mail...

Me little watch fob of a mini-lathe is back in business of turning metal again.

Man, it runs like it was just taken out of its shipping box. Really strong again.

They forgot to send me my pully belt, but its doing great on the old one.

Jim
    Last edited by Swagerman; 04-13-2007 at 10:30 PM.

Boolit Man
    Yes the guys at The LittleMachineShop.com are great to work with. I have a bunch of acc from them.
    Mel W.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife and I go to yard and garage sales on Fridays here in central Florida. Yesterday I found a craftsman 109 lathe. I bought the thing for 150 bucks. I have been wanting one for a long time. Now I have to learn how to use it. I ask the guy if he had any reloading supplies to sell, well yes he did. I got twelve one pound cans of unopened powder for 50 bucks. Six of them were winchester 748, one container of unique, two cans of 4198, one can of 4350, one 296 and one of something else, can't remember right now, the coffee hasn't kicked in yet. Jim

Banned

Your good fortune is almost upsetting..

Nice finds, got a picture if the Craftsman lathe.

About 25 years ago I had a chance to buy Sears Craftsman at a yard sale, but it was a rusted out ***. The original owner never took good care of it...must have got rained on and never dryed or lubed.

Can't remember what they were asking for it, might have been hundred bucks.

Jim

Super Moderator

................I don't know why but those Craftsman 109's go for some crazy money on E-Bay. They're more of a toy then a real lathe but I guess it's a nostalgia thing or something. They ARE cute

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin View Post
    You can actually still do that at a Community College? I have hope for our country yet...
    My "Community" College had Machining Centers, Turning Centers, and right before I graduated, a STL machine.

But then, they were offering a Man. Eng degree.

HTRN
    There's nothing scarier than a Machinist with a warped imagination!

Boolit Master
    What kind of revolver barrel work can you do on a Harbor Freight lathe? Had the urge to get one several years ago but it passed. To make an octagon barrel I guess you need a milling machine?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by targetshootr View Post
    What kind of revolver barrel work can you do on a Harbor Freight lathe? Had the urge to get one several years ago but it passed. To make an octagon barrel I guess you need a milling machine?

.........Or a planer, or a surface grinder. Or lots of patience and a drawfile

............Buckshot

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .........Or a planer, or a surface grinder. Or lots of patience and a drawfile

............Buckshot
    And lots of time/energy if you file. You could do a real short one with a milling attachment.