RotoMetals2MCD ProductsLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication

Thread: Interesting Linotype Figures

Boolit Bub

Interesting Linotype Figures

I found this in a stack of linotype I was sorting. Thought it was an interesting find. Has anyone else found anything beside letters, numbers, etc.?

Longwood
    I found some print shop and car dealer ads from the 50's that had some soft alloy on wood blocks last year..
    One had a section with a small area that was copper along with what I believe was Linotype.
    I had some bars with the through holes like those but no big figures.
    I melted them with what I was sure was Linotype and called it close enough.

Boolit Master

Many, many years ago I worked for a print shop one summer. There were shelves all along one wall that was about 16 of 20 feet high. They were filled with thick stones...some as large as a table top and 6 to 8 inches thick. The pressman told me they were engraved and used before linotype. Just imagine the work that went into engraving those stones in reverse!!! Also the pictures and text was raised which meant that everything else had to be cut away. The work that went into those stones was amazing. And this place had hundreds of them!! I know this doesn't have anything to do with linotype but thought it would be interesting and I wish I could have been able to get a few of the small ones.

Banned

why is the president delivering newspapers?

Ohio's BEST CCW resource: http://ohioccwforums.org/
    Those are printer's characters. They are made to order and were not cheap when new.

The pieces of lead with the holes in them are monotype spacers, I think they are quad Ems. They come in bar form and you just cut to length. The actual 'character' was engraved from copper, sealed in a lead matrix (usually foundry metal) so it could be bonded to the lead spacers.

I've found some really, really neat stuff. Advertising slugs, auto maker logos, business card headers, etc.
    Due to market fluctuations I am no longer buying range scrap jackets.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

Boolit Grand Master

A bunch of logos and Masonic symbols.

Boolit Master

As much as I melt, smelt, etc, those things you have are semi-collectable. You can find them on flea bay most of the time. The ones with wood on the back are the ones to keep.

My wife went through my monotype one time and kept all kinds of letters. "Look, aren't these neat" ??. Yeah, OK...... So I lost like 4 lbs. Oh well, I got enough... enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    why is the president delivering newspapers?

maybe someone is trying to fabricate a history showing that he can/could do something, or that he had a real job before his current employment.

Boolit Bub
    By the age of that figure, it could have been any paperboy, or possible the guys who sold and delivered the GRIT newspaper that originated in Williamsport, PA. They were the company that offerred, among other items, .22 rifles as payment that would be sent to the kid's door. Those were the days...