Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: M1 Garand cast load

Boolit Bub

M1 Garand cast load

I can't help but feel that this has already been addressed, but I'll be jiggered if I can find what I'm looking for. With that in mind...

I've cast up about 50 Lee 309-200s for my M1. I slugged the barrel and came up with .309. The mould drops at .311 and I sized to .310. As cast with wheelweights and a bit of tin, they weigh in at 198 grains.

I have a few pounds of IMR 4064 and I was thinking that somewhere between 32 and 36 grains would be about right for the gas-checked boolits. Does that seem reasonable? Do I need to add TP or buy a pillow? (Or tear into one of my wife's 10,000 pillows around the house)

I'm not wedded to the 4064 - it's what I've got for a rifle powder. I can get 4895 or something different - the local shop has a pretty broad selection. I just figured that if 4064 will do the job, I might as well use it up.

I'm looking at 100 yard ranges. The ol' eyes don't care for much beyond that.

Thanks, fellas!

Boolit Grand Master

4064 or 4895 will work fine. Start at 28 gr with both, use a 3/4 gr dacron filler and work up until functioning is 100%. Best accuracy will be there, usually 1800 - 1950 fps.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

4064 is a great go to powder for most of the 30's. Varget is a close second, and ya just cant go wrong with 4895. I agree with Larry.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying