Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 357 light loading data

Boolit Master
    Just remember the safety issue with Blue Dot. Never use it with 125gr. bullets. See the factory warning on this one.
    Chris

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    To un-learn flinching, try "Russian Roulette". Well, not for real, but you get my drift.

Load 2 or 3 rounds in the cylinder at random, fill the rest of the holes with fired cases, spin cylinder and close.

Now you will not know if the gun will go off. Having the hammer fall on a fired case will soon show up any flinching.

Practicing with all the chambers filled with snap caps or fired cases is not the same, as you KNOW the gun will not go off, so you tend to NOT flinch.

We use this technique at our club, especially with newbies or those who always plough the dirt with shots, but absolutely insist they do not flinch (too Macho to admit!)
    If you get a batch of primers that sometimes take 2 hits to set them off, (or if you don't seat them deep enough in the pockets, which causes the same thing) this is a great way to use them up. The more unreliable, the better

Boolit Mold
    yes, that is great method of working on your technique. good info. I shoot my 22 revolver that way a lot. empty 22 case turned to new crimp spot for the dummy cylinder.

Boolit Master

My father swore by unique for medium load in his 357. I still use it in his gun. It makes a very accurate load for this gun, no reason to try anything else.

I have used both Red and Green dot in light .38 let me know and I can scan the old Hercules data for you.

Green Dot is still my favorite .44 powder
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    LadOregon,
    I have the same gun, picked up in January.
    I've did some some extensive loading and testing.
    The results:
    RCBS 150 swc/ 4gr.Bullseye/38special case= 850fps
    RCBS 162 swc-gc/7grs Unique/357case 1175fps
    Hornady 140 xtp/8grs Unique/357case 1200fps

Many loads shot well.These were picked to fit my needs right now.

BigBoreShooter

I think the old standard was 2.8g Bullseye under a 148-158g wadcutter in .38 Special cases. The wadcutter sits entirely inside the case. Makes a super light recoiling load that is accurate. I used to shoot a lot of those with no issues, (provided I'm remembering the numbers I think I am...)

Unique works well for both light and magnum loads.
    "There he bought a saddle, a .22 caliber single-shot rifle, and a .45 caliber Business Sharps, a somewhat ligher version of the Big Fity Sharps, the favorite rifle of the buffalo hunters. He already had a 12 bore muzzleloading shotgun, so his arsenal was complete, and along with an ax and a few other necessities, he had the basic tools of a frontiersman.~Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer~Andy Russell~

Boolit Mold
    10mm thanks for offer on scanning data. giving the Unique and Titegroup a try and it is working super. Both of them burn well in the 4" barrel and they both work with light load. Pepped them up also and super clean burning loads. Have to get them on paper and group them. So far have just been shooting steel pig and having fun.

Boolit Mold
    thank to everyone for info, tips and reply on my need. enjoy your day

Boolit Grand Master

"shooting steel pig and having fun" - Sounds like a winner to me!

Enjoy!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Norbrat View Post
    To un-learn flinching, try "Russian Roulette". Well, not for real, but you get my drift.

Load 2 or 3 rounds in the cylinder at random, fill the rest of the holes with fired cases, spin cylinder and close.

Now you will not know if the gun will go off. Having the hammer fall on a fired case will soon show up any flinching.

Practicing with all the chambers filled with snap caps or fired cases is not the same, as you KNOW the gun will not go off, so you tend to NOT flinch.

We use this technique at our club, especially with newbies or those who always plough the dirt with shots, but absolutely insist they do not flinch (too Macho to admit!)
    It's called 'Ball & Dummy' practice, and I recommend it to all folks interested in improving their pistol shooting skills, as it can be done without the need for a coach.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)