Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swapping bullets between 7.62x54R and 7.62x39 FMJ and cast

I was thinking of making a chamber cast to see how much room I have to prevent the mishap that the 147 boat tails I have don't seat right into the rifling while the pill is still in the casing, but by your description this is not a problem.

Res45, thank you for the feedback. I'm really glad there's information on this.

Boolit Master
    Stuffing a bullet into an unprimed empty and then chambering it will tell you if it's too long.... As Res45 says - if it will fit in the mag, likely it will chamber...

Put me down for another "Don't do it" vote for using the original 7.62x39 powder with the x54R projectile... You have no idea what the Russians used... and whether it will go hinky with a heavier projectile....

On using the heavier projectile in general.... Russian gas systems are pretty stout and the operating parts are short... There is probably a low risk of bending pistons and op rods due to heavy bullets like you can in a Garand with it's 42 foot long op-rod that twines around the rifle like a snake.... and has to stay bent just so to work....

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    I have shot the 247gr whisper boolit in my x39 with good accuracy and also the 314299 boolit. Course, mines a single shot.
    Will make it to the range tomorrow, with the 311041 boolit

Boolit Buddy
    I have used 1000s of the same bullets in my AK and SKS rifles. Figure out the OAL of your reloads with the Heavy Bullets.Drop the powder charge 20% and work your way up slowly and find what works for your Rifle.Sort the bullets by Size and weight.I was amazed the first time I used these bullets at the difference in size and weight of the .These bullets are steel core.Alot of the time the steel core want be centered in these bullets and accuracy will suffer.Use common sense and proceed carefully with your Powder charge and if you do your Job you will be fine.I have also pulled down Lots of Russian Military Surplus 7.62x39 Ammo and some had 148 gr bullets as well as 150+ gr bullets.The heavy bullets were the same length and appeared to be the same exact bullets as some Russian 54r bullets in 148 gr.that I have Pulled down and used.Mike
    Last edited by milsurp mike; 05-19-2012 at 02:01 AM.
    If I tell you a Rooster can pull a plow You better hook him up